Zimbabwe Tri Series: Australia/South Africa/Zimbabwe

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saw the news story on Cricket Australia website. Unbelievable that a guy can be banned for this.

Allegedly he sent a two minute video clip of Johnson hitting batsman and breaking bones to the batsmen and asked if they were ready.

Pretty harmless banter.

Allegedly he sent a two minute video clip of Johnson hitting batsman and breaking bones to the batsmen and asked if they were ready.

Pretty harmless banter.
Nothing wrong with admiring one of the most hostile fast-bowling performances of all-time either.

That's fine. But why is Smith in the team?

They can learn a few things about Mitch Marsh who has hardly played for Aus. Over a three year span, he's had a grand total of five or six matches now.

I'm not doing Smith down, I think he'd been an excellent 3 as he's got a good brain as much as anything else, but I can see experiments in this tournament are important if they don't have that much information on a player at international level and they already must have loads of info about Smith due to his amount of experience at all levels for Aus.

When Clarkey goes and Bailey, Smith will be skipper, I think that's why they've got him in the squad plus he's been doing better at the end of innings slogging for domestic teams. If he's not skipper, and somehow Warner jags it, then something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

he's improved at it, but for the past 2 or 3 years, almost anybody who has discussed Steve Smith and OD cricket have said that he needs to be played in the top order in that format, and if the Australian team doesn't have a spot there then obviously he shouldn't be played in the team, so now that there is a vacant spot there, it's incredibly frustrating to see Mitchell Marsh take it and Smith bat at 6 when it's impossible to see Marsh actually batting in the top 4 during the WC whereas it's unlikely but possible to see Smith doing it. You can trust in Boof all you want, but thus far this entire tour has been absolutely insane selection wise. If Nathan Lyon goes down injured I'm expecting Jason Krejza to get called over

Last edited:
he's improved at it, but for the past 2 or 3 years, almost anybody who has discussed Steve Smith and OD cricket have said that he needs to be played in the top order in that format, and if the Australian team doesn't have a spot there then obviously he shouldn't be played in the team, so now that there is a vacant spot there, it's incredibly frustrating to see Mitchell Marsh take it and Smith bat at 6 when it's impossible to see Marsh actually batting in the top 4 during the WC whereas it's unlikely but possible to see Smith doing it. You can trust in Boof all you want, but thus far this entire tour has been absolutely insane selection wise. If Nathan Lyon goes down injured I'm expecting Jason Krejza to get called over

The blocked is what they are trying to find out I guess, except that I can't see how we need either Smith or Marsh there, it's a crowded place the top 3 of the Aussies ODI team.

I don't think it's been insane selection wise as I think they are genuinely trying to get a handle on some of the players but I can't say that about Lyon.

Him not playing in the SA match was just plain stupid.

The suspension of Panyangara is the most stupid and idiotic suspension ever, surpassing homework-gate, circa. 2013

Maybe Zimbabwe fear him that much?

Zimbabwe recently sacked their old coach and removed Brendan Taylor from the test captaincy. The theory I'm hearing is that this was done to weaken the players so they are subordinate to Zimbabwean cricket officials.

Zimbabwean cricket is run by people who are making a living on the ICC funds and that is what they want and not development of the game. They also just sacked their last selector with any first class experience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute disgrace re the ban... Coach will have a revolt on his hands soon if he keeps that rubbish up. Regarding Zimbabwe, imagine a parallel universe where they could conceivably have a competitive team if not for unfortunate circumstances. I know it's hypothetical but shows what there team could be
1- Sibanda
2- Mayowo
3- Maszakdza
4- Taylor (c)
5- balance (played for zim u/19)
6- Taibu (wkpr) ( retired but only 31 and form was not an issue, still high quality
7- Chigumbura
8- Panyangara
9- Nyumbu
10- Vitoria
11- Jarvis (quit at 24 for county contract but sharp pace and has real talent. 30 wickets @31 in his 8 tests)

Absolute disgrace re the ban... Coach will have a revolt on his hands soon if he keeps that rubbish up. Regarding Zimbabwe, imagine a parallel universe where they could conceivably have a competitive team if not for unfortunate circumstances. I know it's hypothetical but shows what there team could be
1- Sibanda
2- Mayowo
3- Maszakdza
4- Taylor (c)
6- Taibu (wkpr) ( retired but only 31 and form was not an issue, still high quality
7- Chigumbura
8- Panyangara
9- Nyumbu
10- Vitoria
11- Jarvis (quit at 24 for county contract but sharp pace and has real talent. 30 wickets @31 in his 8 tests)

Taibu is now a missionary. Jarvis lost his contract with Lancashire so could return I guess

Surprised me the other day looking at the county cricket how 'young' Sean Ervine still is. He's 31 now, but has been seemingly been around forever - I remember him back at 2003 World Cup and debuted in 2001. Still going well for Hampshire. Had a couple of seasons playing for WA as he was the boyfriend of Melissa Marsh IIRC? Had a younger brother Craig who was fairly promising, but also moved for the security of a contract.

Such a shame these guys essentially lost their international careers as a result of all the bullshit. Sean in particular was a world class all rounder and would have probably captained them at some point.

Surprised me the other day looking at the county cricket how 'young' Sean Ervine still is. He's 31 now, but has been seemingly been around forever - I remember him back at 2003 World Cup and debuted in 2001. Still going well for Hampshire. Had a couple of seasons playing for WA as he was the boyfriend of Melissa Marsh IIRC? Had a younger brother Craig who was fairly promising, but also moved for the security of a contract.

Such a shame these guys essentially lost their international careers as a result of all the bullshit. Sean in particular was a world class all rounder and would have probably captained them at some point.[/QUOTE]

Too right. Ervine is a quality player, definitely would be in their best 11. At 31 He could go for a few more years and really make a difference to that team. Would love if Zimbabwe could return to their former days as a poor mans New Zealand. Cricket needs competitive smaller nations playing the game nd for it to expand . Unfortunately, however, Zimbabwe look to be in terminal decline.

Taylor was dropped from the 3rd ODI vs South Africa with the coach saying "We don't want a boozer's XI".

Imagine if he saw what Aussie & English cricketers get up to outside of game time.

1- Sibanda
2- Mayowo
3- Maszakdza
4- Taylor (c)
7- Chigumbura
8- Panyangara
9- Nyumbu
10- Vitoria

Reckon you could throw Ray Price into that side. Getting on in years, but a ferocious competitor and his numbers still stack up in Test Cricket.

Taylor was dropped from the 3rd ODI vs South Africa with the coach saying "We don't want a boozer's XI".

Imagine if he saw what Aussie & English cricketers get up to outside of game time.

That coach sounds quite keen on a non-playing 11 more than anything.

He wants to ban everyone so there isn't a team to take to the field. Then, and only then, he'll feel it's job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back