Brutal assessment of our game!

Remove this Banner Ad

i stopped reading when he called perth a town ...

we are a backwards no sunday shopping city thank you very much! :p

Perhaps our game is a little too quick for Matty, too many rules and too much confusion for your average moronic "Association Football" supporter. What a self obsessed *******.

Haha what a tosser. Footy is the most popular code in Victoria, SA, WA, Tas and NT. NRL in QLD and NSW, Union in ACT. Soccer does not "own" any state, and the A League is a long long way from being anyway where near as popular as the AFL or NRL. Who cares how popular any of these sports are overseas, this is Australia and our most popular sport is footy, no matter how many made up facts he gives it does not change

Hardly an assessment of our game - brutal or otherwise.

Just a soccer fan trying to be funny - and not doing a particularly good job of it either.

Boganball? Fumbleball? My god that's lame. So very, very lame. As bad as the people on here referring to NTTAWWTball or thugby.

Just a soccer fan trying to be funny - and not doing a particularly good job of it either.

Boganball? Fumbleball? My god that's lame. So very, very lame. As bad as the people on here referring to NTTAWWTball or thugby.
Almost as funny as "GayFL"

This guy probably wears his underpants outside his shorts cause all the cool kids in Europe are doing it.

ha !

what a read.

looks like someone has a self-esteem problem ;)

I thought he'd be too plugged into watching soccer 24x7 to take the time out to attempt to take the piss out of a "small and insignificant" code which presents no threat to his borefest of a sport whatsoever. :)

sure, I agree that the administrators haven't done everything they could to help spread the game.

But it is a big country, and we are very much isolated from the rest of the world.

And if the other sports are so good, then why is our sport growing at all and why then didn't soccer take us all over 100 years ago .... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't a recent poll show that 41% of sport viewers in Australia prefer AFL, whilst something like 8% were for soccer?
Once the rest of the world gets a taste of Aussie Rules, it's gonna be the end of soccer, just like it's gonna be the end of Rugby in Australia in the near future.

Soccer is mostly boring, the only things going for it really are the marketing of the game which is brilliant and the hooligan culture which surrounds it. (eg: Fighting people who support opposing clubs) Both those insure lots of people watch soccer.

Where as Aussie Rules is not boring and is interesting to watch, one quote which I read on youtube stated "It is ultimate Football", I think thats the most accurate description of Aussie Rules, now marketing of Aussie Rules just stinks.

:D A soccer freak calling our game fumbleball!:D I may as well call soccer Diveball!

I would've thought the damning thing for soccer is in countries that have their own indigenous football codes, soccer is a distant 2nd or 3rd place in most cases.

Soccer spread through Europe much like Australian Rules spread through the southern parts of Australia. In fact if you look through the historical records it was even doing pretty well all along the east coast of Australia until the NSW establishment opted for rugby. The telling difference was the European presence in the rest of the world - a developing nation was never going to be able to take Australian Rules to other countries given few countries saw Australia as nothing but a colony of Great Britain. And as soccer has found, competing with an established code is very difficult and almost a impossible task.

You may ask, with all the immigration from mostly soccer playing nations, "why, does not soccer dominate Australia?"

wood%20door%20knob.jpg

a very big knob:cool:

It was these calls which made me question his journalistic credentials. ;)

Chippy much?

It was these calls which made me question his journalistic credentials. ;)

Chippy much?

Well Soccer is a Game For Girls because they are scared of getting hurt and Actors who can't play footy:)

what a moron.

whilst i don't mind soccer, it can be a bit like mcdonalds... very popular, okay in small doses, world wide recognition, but has little substance and is a very simple concept to understand which is why it appeals to the masses...

probably the biggest reason why footy doesn't have an international presence is because of australia's lack of international influence during the late part of the 1800's and the early part of the 1900's when other sports, such as union, soccer and cricket were being spread around the world by the british (along with other british cultural past times)...

during that time australia was almost entirely an immigration country with very little emmigration and as such very little spread of our cultural past times, such as australian rules.... in a way that is still the case today as aside from those off travelling, there aren't too many australian's moving away from home.

but who gives a flying ____ anyway. the fact so few player the game makes it even better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back