Songs That Sound A Little Too Similar

Remove this Banner Ad

The most egregious example of this in recent times - Horrendous rip-off in that it is exactly the same in terms of music and vocal cadence, and significantly worse than the original.

[youtube]Fyw_1r-SSJk[/youtube]

Ripping off:

[youtube]WdTYcnUBADw[/youtube]

Absolutely terrible.

Here's more food for thought:

[YOUTUBE]CuwjScTf1Pw[/YOUTUBE]
Definitely thought of Counting the Beat when I heard that several years back. Green Day should feature more prominently in this topic now that you mention it:
- "Warning" - complete, shameless rip-off of "Picture Book" by the Kinks
- "Waiting" - a minor rip-off of Downtown by Petula Clark

Here's one that is glaringly obvious:

Oasis - Wonderwall

[youtube]6hzrDeceEKc[/youtube]

Feeder - High

[youtube]w5k6F2kRkOI[/youtube]

There's a mild similarity between those two, but it's not nearly enough to suggest it's anything more than coincidence, IMO.

The vocals and the chorus are completely different.

Everyone and their dog knows who ripped this one off though:

[youtube]CDhRZNTnUFs[/youtube]

Dave Grohl even admitted it.

I had to laugh at this:

[YOUTUBE]4n2TVI1Ij3E[/YOUTUBE]

Whenever I try to hum SLTS in my head, I always end up playing MTAF or the Futurama theme.

I always thought Jebediah ripped off Archers of Loaf pretty blatantly, with Mac McCaughanesque vocals, and doing it all rather poorly.

Anyway... this is one of the more blatant ones around. Christ I hate these cheesedicks... I don't think I would like to punch anyone more in Perth than these guys...

[YOUTUBE]aGC2wqmvtMA[/YOUTUBE]

Ripping:

[YOUTUBE]BDcjemEqr1o&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

anyone else notice that 'the four horsemen' and 'mechanix' sound eeeeeeeeerily similar?

awaits metal heads...

Lol! :thumbsu: The lyrics to the Mechanix are very silly i think, Horsemen is a way better song all round. And although they don't really sound similar, Mustaine uses the same chord progression for the Hangar 18 intro as from Call of Ktulu (he did get writing credits for Ktulu, maybe he thought he was entitled).

As for other examples, Trivium's Unrepentant sounds like the intro to Through the Never, RHCP's Around the World sounds like Budgie's Breadfan. And it's funny that someone said Cochise sounds like Whole lotta love, i've always heard that Cochise ripped off I'm Broken by Pantera!

Just flicking through my itunes last night and had REM, Righteous Brothers and Rufus Wainwright play back to back to back...

Noticed Everybody Hurts, Unchained Melody and Hallelujah sound very similar at the beginning. Probably where it ends though, but just weird how it happened.

The delivery in the verses of "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello and "Wild Wild West" by Escape Club I've noticed are pretty similar.

Also, "Getting Away With It" by James has an almost identical melody to "Finding You" by the Go-Betweens, you can sing the lyrics of one over the other and it syncs perfectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harlem and When a Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge sound very familiar...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb3iPP-tHdA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb3iPP-tHdA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vQh112HQsoE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vQh112HQsoE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Zakk Wylde's 'Sold My Soul' intro sounds very similar to Metallica's '(Welcome Home) Sanitarium' intro.

There's a mild similarity between those two, but it's not nearly enough to suggest it's anything more than coincidence, IMO.

The vocals and the chorus are completely different.

Everyone and their dog knows who ripped this one off though:

Dave Grohl even admitted it.

Beat me to it, Vinnie. Any excuse to give the best band in the world more exposure, really ;)

Another track that had a dead ringer riff was The Damned's Life Goes On.

[youtube]bJmaeeju-dk[/youtube]

This one predated the Joke by a few years, but funnily enough I didn't pick up on it when I heard Eighties or Come As You Are.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb3iPP-tHdA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb3iPP-tHdA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Actually Procol Harum stole it from classical heavyweight J.S Bach's, Air on the G String

[youtube]CWnLnZsrvnA[/youtube]

Anyway another blatant ripp off is by Coldplay and there recent single Viva La Vida and Joe Satriani's If I could fly. Blatant as:thumbsdown:

Coldplay [youtube]WlyZJqGu95w[/youtube]

Joe Satriani
[youtube]CMcjXo8ZuqE[/youtube]

Came across this song on iTunes the other day and thought it sounded familiar:

"Motor City (I Get Lost)" - Company of Strangers
[youtube]YTFSiKxfexw[/youtube]

Almost an exact clone of U2's "God Part II", and the brass section sounds a lot like a Four Tops intro.
[youtube]n7fhIVgpSnc[/youtube]

Another one for me is the openings to "Today" and "Rocket by the Smashing Pumpkins. Surprising for me considering they are on the same CD and only 1 other track between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back