Help Please - Friday Night hlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Rick Astley is firming as an option "never gonna give you up" could mean we are never gonna give Friday nights up...

The 1995 Qualifying Final against Richmond. I think Carey and Longmire kicked 4 or 5 each. The reserves played that night too and won.

Yep! I was there. Most electric atmosphere I've ever been in. The anthem prior to the bounce and the roar after was amazing. Carey dominating the 2nd Quarter silencing the Tiger army was also bloody good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rick Astley is firming as an option "never gonna give you up" could mean we are never gonna give Friday nights up...

If you're putting it to music there is only one song to use - The Easybeats, Friday On My Mind

Anvil's 6 definitely a day game as mentioned. Remember discussing our disastrous form at 1/4 time while officially 'passed out'. Then somehow the side went berzerk including spud showing early form smashing Riccuito around.

Archer's scissor kick was in 1995... was it leading into some sort of public holiday weekend? Richmond smashed us that night, Ross Smith's 200th.

For mine, some lesser light Friday night games:

v Essendon 1995 - exciting fast game. The player formerly known as David King marking after the siren (again), pumping the fist and nailing the shot from 50. Highlight of the game was a long running Mick Martyn shepherd blocking Hird from getting to Carey... who passed to Stevens who finished off hitting the post.

v Carlton 1997 - people don't recall this one often but I do. Carey injured, Schwass out, McKernan ruled out early, doom gloom etc. Real shinboner performance as Corey was a late inclusion, Rock captained and they got a solid win in the mud and slop over a still talented Carlton.

v Hawthorn 2002 - bit of a fight to make the finals. Exciting come from behind win (I think it was?), Choppy in fine form and Mark Porter's big lunge to stop a Crawford run and save the game.

Ah memories.

sheedy.jpg

MarshmallowCubes%28600px%29.jpg

Lock it in Eddie.

Archer's scissor kick was in 1995... was it leading into some sort of public holiday weekend? Richmond smashed us that night, Ross Smith's 200th.

v Carlton 1997 - people don't recall this one often but I do. Carey injured, Schwass out, McKernan ruled out early, doom gloom etc. Real shinboner performance as Corey was a late inclusion, Rock captained and they got a solid win in the mud and slop over a still talented Carlton.

That Archer goal was on a Monday night - may have been the night before Anzac Day?

The Carlton game was a Monday night as well.

Where there is commentary - I will use it...otherwise its Bon Jovi.

Just because you're Media Manager at North, Heath, it doesn't make you immune to being Red Carded.

Was there a Friday night game in 90s against Adelaide where we were down at half time but blitzed them in the second half?
Indeed, think it was 91 or 92 ; Carey lifted in the last 1/4 to get us over the line.

Some of those late '80s/early '90s games where German & Larkin & the Krakouers used to run amok (there were a few against Richmond in particular) would be good.

Plenty of Krakouer magic.

A bit of Ischenko grunt.

Some Martyn charges from the backline.

A Simmo helicopter or two.

Some desperation from Stevo & Arch.

Multiple snags from Horse, Fridge, McAdam, Corey, Fruity.

And lashings of 'CAREY!!!!!!!!'
:thumbsu:

was Carey knocking out Dean Rice on the wing a Friday night game???

I reckon it was a Saturday night as remember getting there early that night and getting a seat near the front on that wing in the AFL members. Can still remember the 'slap' it made.

Another great hit in that same spot of the ground (and again a Saturday night) was Schwatter on Peter Dean in the '95 preliminary. Thought we were a chance after that but things went pear shaped from there that night especially for W Carey;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back