20 years on since that infamous night at Telstra Dome

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne

20 years on from the infamous night Carey played his first game against North since the scandal. What are your memories of the match? Being there and experiencing the passion and anger from the supporters was something else. I have never been to a game like it, the venom in the crowd was lethal. Such a sad situation but what an incredible spectacle for a neutral supporter. 2003 was a big year.

It was electric, I remember before the start iet looked like Archer was going to line up on Carey and the crowd had all eyes on it (Colbert ended up playing on carey)
When finally when Steve and Carey were in the same piece of play I think Steve gave away the free kick. Then the big one when Arch had words then attempted to shape up to Carey. The crowd was on edge

I remember it feeling quite awkward. I love NMFC, and I loved Carey. He acted like a bit of a dick on the night though, at one stage when he laughed at Stevo it was disappointing. Neutral supporters loved it, but as a NM supporter it was a bit sad

The weirdest vibe I have ever felt at a football game. There were so many people who didnt barrack for either side who were there just to see what went down. Was a very empty feeling to be honest.

Remember watching it on tv at a pub with some mates…Majority of crowd were neutrals…but geez l loved arch and Stevo going full on whack at each opportunity. Gave a loud cheer and raised glass each time it happened.
At least l was mildly happy at games end.
Just wanted some or a few to cannon into him ….and watch him be carted off on a stretcher a la Garry style.
For the game itself it was a night where our little blokes won the small battles…but we lost the game. Still hate Adelaide…and his moving to there just made it even more so….reflecting on it now he’s never stepped foot in the club since has he?
Maybe this was the beginning ever so small of where the wheels began to fall off…..to where we are now….

I prefer to remember the next two times we played him after that :)

The club ultimately won 2-1 in all matches against him.

Later in 2003:

NM: 9.20.74
Adelaide 10.4.64

Adelaide at home went into it raging hot favorites and top 4 hopes were on the line. Carey kicked a goal from the boundary but that was about all he did. One of the great shinboner spirit wins and cost the crows the double chance.

Round 1, 2004:

NM: 23.11.149
Adelaide 10.14.74

Leigh Brown bags 6, Carey has a miserable day with just 1 goal and 8 touches and we absolutely cane the crows at the MCG. I dont think I've been more sunburned at a game than I was with this one, sitting in front of the goals and forgetting to wear sunscreen on what was a pretty hot day.

I remember it feeling quite awkward. I love NMFC, and I loved Carey. He acted like a bit of a dick on the night though, at one stage when he laughed at Stevo it was disappointing. Neutral supporters loved it, but as a NM supporter it was a bit sad
I believe he said f.,k off I made you famous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A terrible night of footy, he should have been a one club player, but because of an immense * up we had to watch him in another jersey.

On the plus side he was in the twilight of his career and we got Daniel Wells out of the trade, unfortunately he was another who should have been a one club player. :(

I'm feeling a little sad now, why are we remembering this day?

A terrible night of footy, he should have been a one club player, but because of an immense * up we had to watch him in another jersey.

On the plus side he was in the twilight of his career and we got Daniel Wells out of the trade, unfortunately he was another who should have been a one club player. :(

I'm feeling a little sad now, why are we remembering this day?

Gets worse

Club hasn’t been the same since

Just checked that June 6th 2003 was the McCartney Friday night game

Two Friday night games weeks apart

Friday nights

I will say it again

Friday nights

From Friday night Kings to Sunday Afternoon forgettables.

That sums it all up, club’s in the dirt.

Overall a very sad night but I always get a kick out of remembering it for something my wife yelled out spontaneously. Mrs Grouch can get pretty fired up at the footy and this was an emotionally charged game so when Carey set up their first goal with handball to some bozo in the goal square , which set off a celebration of high fives and bear hugs ,it was all too much for my wife who screamed out quite loudly “ wait till he f…s your wife!!” I was like “omigod” but everyone around us seemed to get a real kick out of it even Crows supporters. What a gal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back