#12 in National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TAC Future Stars did their mock draft today. Had us taking Jack Darling. Didn't say anything new, just he's a strong bodied KPF that 12 months ago was the no. 1 draft pick elect.

Interestingly they had Tom Lynch going to Richmond at P6 and Lycett to Adelaide at P14

Here's the full list - apparantly they skipped over GC's picks due to time constraints so Ive made some assumptions in red as to who they beleived would fill the gaps;

1.Gold Coast: David Swallow
2.Gold Coast: Harley Bennell
3.Gold Coast: Sam Day
4.West Coast: Dyson Heppell
5.Gold Coast: Andrew Gaff
6.Richmond: Tom Lynch
7.Gold Coast: Daniel Gorringe
8.Essendon:Shuan Atley
9.Gold Coast: Jared Polec
10.Brisbane: Jed Lamb
11.Gold Coast: Brodie Smith
12.Melbourne: Jack Darling
13.Gold Coast: Luke Parker
14.Adelaide: Scott Lycett
15.Gold Coast: Patrick McArthy
16.Port Adelaide: Josh Caddy
17.North Melbourne: Lucas Cook
18.Carlton: Reece Conca
19.Hawthorn: Jayden Pitt
20.Fremantle: Matt Watson
21.Sydney: Patrick Karnezis
22.Western Bulldogs: Mitch Wallis
23.Geelong: Billie Smedts
24.St Kilda: Aaron Young
25.Collingwood: Dion Prestia

Really disappointed to see Lynch rated so highly (I thought he was a chance for us), my guess would have been Richmond taking another mid though so hopefully he makes it through. Im just not sold on Darling but he looks the right pick if the first 11 picks go this way.

Other options would be Lycett and Parker imo.

Really disappointed to see Lynch rated so highly (I thought he was a chance for us), my guess would have been Richmond taking another mid though so hopefully he makes it through. Im just not sold on Darling but he looks the right pick if the first 11 picks go this way.

Other options would be Lycett and Parker imo.

Agreed, in the real thing i can see Richmond taking a mid. Lynch's stocks have no doubt risen, but I think its a little based on hype right now rather than fact. Probably like Aaron Black last year. Although no doubt he will test really really well.

Would still love to some how get WCE P4 and Gorringe. Or more importantly if an article in The Age is to be belived Heppell may be coming into considerations for GC's 3'rd pick, which means Day (assuming he nominates) slides and will be availible.

Agreed, in the real thing i can see Richmond taking a mid. Lynch's stocks have no doubt risen, but I think its a little based on hype right now rather than fact. Probably like Aaron Black last year. Although no doubt he will test really really well.

Would still love to some how get WCE P4 and Gorringe. Or more importantly if an article in The Age is to be belived Heppell may be coming into considerations for GC's 3'rd pick, which means Day (assuming he nominates) slides and will be availible.

No way Day wont go to GC - if there are any surprises it will be Bennell - but I still think all 3 are a given.

Gorringe wont make it to us so its just fingers crossed Lynch gets through for me.

For those with bigpond have a look at the following:

http://www.afl.com.au/development/n...mbine/meettheplayers/tabid/16667/default.aspx

For mine my order is:

Gorringe, Lynch, Darling, best available. If its Cook then so be it, but i'm starting to cool on him. We need a key forward to hit packs and either take the mark or bring it to ground, Cook to me looks to be a little tentative at the contest and maybe more suited to a lead up CHF role.

Very impressed with Darling, he's a little under sized but he clearly plays taller looks like he could be value at 12.

http://www.afl.com.au/development/n...mbine/meettheplayers/tabid/16667/default.aspx

For mine my order is:

Gorringe, Lynch, Darling, best available. If its Cook then so be it, but i'm starting to cool on him. We need a key forward to hit packs and either take the mark or bring it to ground, Cook to me looks to be a little tentative at the contest and maybe more suited to a lead up CHF role.

Very impressed with Darling, he's a little under sized but he clearly plays taller looks like he could be value at 12.

cheers mate, very useful link there

For mine my order is:

Whilst I'm no expert on this year's draft class, from what I've seen of Cook I don't think he's got what it takes to play KP at AFL level.

He looks like a 3rd tall/HF playmaker type. He's very mobile for his size and good at ground level, but I just don't see the KPF qualities in his game.

Pass for me.

Yeh not that I would know but just for fun this my guess at our rough order of preference atm (I will change my mind several times before draft day);..

1) Swallow (complete midfielder - just too good, will be the best player in the comp from a very young age imo)
2) Day (at best could be the next Wayne Carey, at worst the next Jarryd Roughead. Either way GC have got lucky with these 2 players being in this draft)
3) Bennell (lightning fast, elite skills, runs through the lines, creative - and will kick goals. Bailey always said he would love another Aaron Davey)
4) Gorringe (strong bodied intelligent tap ruckman. Agility a strength for his size and will kick goals when played as a key forward or resting ruck)
5) Lynch (the speculative pick. 196cm CHF/CHB. Long reach, good skills, great at ground level for his height. At best could develop into a quality, pack marking tall forward, at worst will be a Jaryd Rivers type spoiling defender)
6) Parker (hard, fast attacking mid who is strong overhead for his size and can kick goals. Has a strong ability to influence a game which recuiters will love)
7) Gaff (best available here would go higher but not our biggest need. Inside and outside mid with sure hands, excellent decision making and ball magnet)
8) Atley (skillful midfielder with elite endurance, workrate and agility. again not our pressing need but too good to pass here)
9) Heppell (strong, running defender with excellent foot skills. Good decision maker and exceptionaly high efficiency at TAC cup carnival)
10) Darling (Burley forward who slips mostly due to questionable height for his game style at AFL level. Very strong overhead, beautiful kick, and loves making big tackles in the forward line)
11) Lycett (very tall ruck project type. excellent tap work but needs to develop more strings to his bow)
12) Cook (Not as bad as people are worrying about on here imo. Tall, clean, smart, calm. No outstanding features but does everything well. Testing his speed, endurance and athleticism at draft camp will influence how far recruiters think he could develop)

So.. at least one of these guys have to make it though to us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh not that I would know but just for fun this my guess at our rough order of preference atm (I will change my mind several times before draft day);..

1) Swallow (complete midfielder - just too good, will be the best player in the comp from a very young age imo)
2) Day (at best could be the next Wayne Carey, at worst the next Jarryd Roughead. Either way GC have got lucky with these 2 players being in this draft)
3) Bennell (lightning fast, elite skills, runs through the lines, creative - and will kick goals. Bailey always said he would love another Aaron Davey)
4) Gorringe (strong bodied intelligent tap ruckman. Agility a strength for his size and will kick goals when played as a key forward or resting ruck)
5) Lynch (the speculative pick. 196cm CHF/CHB. Long reach, good skills, great at ground level for his height. At best could develop into a quality, pack marking tall forward, at worst will be a Jaryd Rivers type spoiling defender)
6) Harper (hard, fast attacking mid who is strong overhead for his size and can kick goals. Has a strong ability to influence a game which recuiters will love)
7) Gaff (best available here would go higher but not our biggest need. Inside and outside mid with sure hands, excellent decision making and ball magnet)
8) Atley (skillful midfielder with elite endurance, workrate and agility. again not our pressing need but too good to pass here)
9) Heppell (strong, running defender with excellent foot skills. Good decision maker and exceptionaly high efficiency at TAC cup carnival)
10) Darling (Burley forward who slips mostly due to questionable height for his game style at AFL level. Very strong overhead, beautiful kick, and loves making big tackles in the forward line)
11) Lycett (very tall ruck project type. excellent tap work but needs to develop more strings to his bow)
12) Cook (Not as bad as people are worrying about on here imo. Tall, clean, smart, calm. No outstanding features but does everything well. Testing his speed, endurance and athleticism at draft camp will influence how far recruiters think he could develop)

So.. at least one of these guys have to make it though to us!

GC are going to have so much tallent. Especially when you consider: Zac Smith, Toy, Matera and May are all freebies.

Your pretty much spot on with that list. When you add some of the other highly rated mids like: Smith, Pitt, Smedts and Polec we have options.

I sat next to Gaff's uncle at a work function a few months and he was saying that he is massive Melbourne fan and that he really wants to play for Dee's but apparently GC have been in his ear quite a bit.

GC are going to have so much tallent. Especially when you consider: Zac Smith, Toy, Matera and May are all freebies.

Your pretty much spot on with that list. When you add some of the other highly rated mids like: Smith, Pitt, Smedts and Polec we have options.

I sat next to Gaff's uncle at a work function a few months and he was saying that he is massive Melbourne fan and that he really wants to play for Dee's but apparently GC have been in his ear quite a bit.

Thanks - although I did mistake Parker for Harper on my original list and changed it now. A few speculative ones there - particularly the mids who are all pretty even after Swallow.

GC will also have first access to guys like Krakour (WAFL) and Giles (SANFL) who they are able to trade for more draft picks so dont be surprised if their position improves after trade week..

Depending on who's available at each of our picks. I'd like to see us get a quick and skilful half back flanker and versatile, skilled 195cm+ tall that can go back or forward. Preferably a forward who can play back if required. Our best tall backs can be a bit undersized at times so it'll be good to have some backup in that area.

In saying that we have guys like Bennell, Martin, Strauss, Blease who can play those two roles. But all need to improve and build on what they've started with.

I'd like to see us get a quick and skilful half back flanker and versatile, skilled 195cm+ tall that can go back or forward. Preferably a forward who can play back if required.

Agreed - our Key position stocks are pretty handy but not much flexibility there atm. A key forward who can go back on occasion would be ideal.

Cant see that of Darling but Lynch could be the one.

From the you tube packages that I have seen, I want Darling. Agressive forward, good long kick and hands, tackles hard & puts pressure on the ball carrier. I love seeing blokes play footy this way & would like to see him in the red & blue next season.
By all reports would have been a top 4 or 5 pick last year if he had of been available, but this year he had an injury interupted season & hence the possible slide. For all those supporters who want someone as a switch hitter down back too, i think he could quite easily do the job if required. The other query, others have raised is his height, it would be great if he was another 3 -5 cms tall but I think talent is more important than height. I see Darling (191cms) as possibly a similar player to Pavlich (192cms)and both are nearly same height. Would be great if he turned out just as good.

Would you consider trading pick 12 for Mitch Brown + pick 44 from the Eagles.

Brown was drafted as a KP CHF / FF but has struggled playing in the same forward line as Kennedy, Lynch and Le Cras at the Eagles. Has played quite well as the CHB so yes he could easily play both ends of the ground.

Fits a need for the Dees, is only 21 and is from Victoria.

I admitt pick 12 is slightly over paying hence pick 44 (Eagles 3rd rounder) to balance the books.

Would you consider trading pick 12 for Mitch Brown + pick 44 from the Eagles.

Brown was drafted as a KP CHF / FF but has struggled playing in the same forward line as Kennedy, Lynch and Le Cras at the Eagles. Has played quite well as the CHB so yes he could easily play both ends of the ground.

Fits a need for the Dees, is only 21 and is from Victoria.

I admitt pick 12 is slightly over paying hence pick 44 (Eagles 3rd rounder) to balance the books.

Why do that when we can pick up a gun 18 year old forward who has performed quite well in the Under 18 Champs?

Why do that when we can pick up a gun 18 year old forward who has performed quite well in the Under 18 Champs?

Because your own club said they would look to get / trade in a big bodied forward to help Watts.

If thats your opinion fair enough, there are other posters who think trading in a youngish KP forward would be a smart move. Its not like you don't have plenty of kids developing already.

Because your own club said they would look to get / trade in a big bodied forward to help Watts.

If thats your opinion fair enough, there are other posters who think trading in a youngish KP forward would be a smart move. Its not like you don't have plenty of kids developing already.

we need another young kpf, and in any case melbourne would not give up pick 12 especially in a compromised draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back