#12 in National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too early at pick 12 but I really like Geelong Falcon lad Josh Walker, saw him play for Vic Country against SA and he looks like what we need. Strong lad with good size, takes a grab and moved very well. Plays with a lot of desire.
Could be a bargain late pick. I have heard that there are questions over his kicking but he kicked well in that particular game.

31 goals 9 behinds in 12 games is pretty good going.

From the AFL Site

Melbourne (pick 12)
Needs: The Demons, like the Tigers, are well-placed in terms of having all bases covered on their developing list. Like most clubs, they could do with another key forward or key back, but perhaps the most pressing need is a versatile, 190-centimetre type who can shift between half-back, half-forward and the midfield.

Possibilities: Geelong Falcons’ swingman Billie Smedts is just about the most versatile player in the draft, so he’ll be considered. Smedts’s main rival for the title of King Versatile is Sandringham Dragons gun Ben Jacobs, who’s a noted accumulator of the ball. Not all clubs are sold on Jacobs because of a perceived laziness in the past, but he appears to have left those days behind and he’d be a worthy No.12 selection. Not that it means much in terms of footy ability, but Jacobs is doing Year 12 at Jack Watts’s old school, Brighton Grammar.

Personally i dont really agree, we do have Gysberts, McNamara, Bate and Dunn as our utility type players at the moment. Even Bennell, Tapscott can are smaller versions of players who can move positions.

Im more keen on taking KPP, who we know are going to hopefully address an area of need not patch up possible holes..

From the AFL Site

Melbourne (pick 12)
Needs: The Demons, like the Tigers, are well-placed in terms of having all bases covered on their developing list. Like most clubs, they could do with another key forward or key back, but perhaps the most pressing need is a versatile, 190-centimetre type who can shift between half-back, half-forward and the midfield.

Possibilities: Geelong Falcons’ swingman Billie Smedts is just about the most versatile player in the draft, so he’ll be considered. Smedts’s main rival for the title of King Versatile is Sandringham Dragons gun Ben Jacobs, who’s a noted accumulator of the ball. Not all clubs are sold on Jacobs because of a perceived laziness in the past, but he appears to have left those days behind and he’d be a worthy No.12 selection. Not that it means much in terms of footy ability, but Jacobs is doing Year 12 at Jack Watts’s old school, Brighton Grammar.

Personally i dont really agree, we do have Gysberts, McNamara, Bate and Dunn as our utility type players at the moment. Even Bennell, Tapscott can are smaller versions of players who can move positions.

Im more keen on taking KPP, who we know are going to hopefully address an area of need not patch up possible holes..

Does that not sound exactly like Cale Morton?

From the AFL Site

Melbourne (pick 12)
Not necessarily our most "pressing" need but I tend to agree that we could use this type of player. We have a lot of mids under 190cm and lets face it, Dunn is more a HF, Gysberts unproven (despite a great debut), Morton is a liability in defence and Bate is at the crossroads. We need a swift player who can read the play at both ends and take important marks and play on quick. If they can rotate the midfiled even better.

If it is a forward then I agree, someone solid with good ball skills to compliment the mobile forwards in Jurrah and Watts. As far as defence goes I think we have the match up defenders covered to a degree, it is the dominating half back type player who repels attacks and sets up play that we miss. Think of the job Enright does for Geelong, we have the Scarlett type players already.

Our play on at all costs approach is fine if the ball is in the hands of the right player. If however the defender is slow or poorly skilled then playing on will hinder us more than help us. I think we definitely need a swing player who can genuinely play both ends or at least a mobile marker and ball user across half back - whether that is a priority over a KPF is another question though.

Does that not sound exactly like Cale Morton?

Exactly. Couldn't think of player type we need less of. Dunn and Morton = jack of all trade master of none.

Our needs are another KPF (more as insurance) or an absolute gun ruckman (we have Gawn and Fitz as projects).

After that we just need to be looking to replace existing players on out list that are 27 yo that do not have a ready replacment, ie KPD.

Exactly. Couldn't think of player type we need less of. Dunn and Morton = jack of all trade master of none.
Not only are neither of them "jack of all trade" but neither of them are effective at both ends of the ground and neither of them have stints in the middle as they are not suited. Read the article again.

Dunn was at the crossroads in his career because the club kept moving him around and he was no good as a result. Finally he was left in the one logical spot and now he has a niche on a HFF which may have saved his career.

Morton atm is a nowhere man who the club has desperately tried to find the optimal position and role for. Morton simply can not match up 1 on 1, he is as slow as a wet ass fly, has no power to get around opponents and has no confidence in pressure games. His best work is in the open space. He takes a couple of decent grabs here and there but no more than most other players. Similar to Dunn, his safest part of the ground is up forward where he isn't a liability.

If Bruce goes we should get a Half back flanker in my opinion, we have petterd coming back and i quite like the rotating forward line with Jurrah, Green and Watts switching in and out.

Still gotta keep going best available I reckon, think we still will need some more midfield depth in the next few years, and when we are hopefully up and challenging trade for a big forward if need be

Not necessarily our most "pressing" need but I tend to agree that we could use this type of player. We have a lot of mids under 190cm and lets face it, Dunn is more a HF, Gysberts unproven (despite a great debut), Morton is a liability in defence and Bate is at the crossroads. We need a swift player who can read the play at both ends and take important marks and play on quick. If they can rotate the midfiled even better.

If it is a forward then I agree, someone solid with good ball skills to compliment the mobile forwards in Jurrah and Watts. As far as defence goes I think we have the match up defenders covered to a degree, it is the dominating half back type player who repels attacks and sets up play that we miss. Think of the job Enright does for Geelong, we have the Scarlett type players already.

Frawley is third in the AFL for rebounds from the D50m. Morton is being judged to harshly, keeping in mind he had the knee injury that kept him out for months.

Not only are neither of them "jack of all trade" but neither of them are effective at both ends of the ground and neither of them have stints in the middle as they are not suited. Read the article again.

Dunn was at the crossroads in his career because the club kept moving him around and he was no good as a result. Finally he was left in the one logical spot and now he has a niche on a HFF which may have saved his career.

Morton atm is a nowhere man who the club has desperately tried to find the optimal position and role for. Morton simply can not match up 1 on 1, he is as slow as a wet ass fly, has no power to get around opponents and has no confidence in pressure games. His best work is in the open space. He takes a couple of decent grabs here and there but no more than most other players. Similar to Dunn, his safest part of the ground is up forward where he isn't a liability.

Like i said. "Jack of all trades" ie. bounced all over the ground, including the midfield and "master of none" meaning they do none of them particulaly well. Although Dunn seems to as you say found his niche of most recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frawley is third in the AFL for rebounds from the D50m. Morton is being judged to harshly, keeping in mind he had the knee injury that kept him out for months.
Didn't know that stat about Frawley, not a bad effort.

I still think we need a player who can perform a future sweeping role and someone with very good ball use by foot. Frawley is primarily concerned with a key forward and as good as he is more often than not IMO his impact starts from a fair way within defensive 50 - as you say he comes out of defensive 50. I think our focus next year needs to be cutting off opposition supply within our defensive 50 in the first place.

It is a credit to players like Frawley at how well they play given the amount of pressure they are under but IMO we need a roaming cut off player across half back so the ball doesn't get that far as often as it does. I guess what I'm saying is that we rely too much on our traditional defenders once the ball has gone deep. Think Hawthorn without Hodge, Collingwood without Maxwell, Geelong without Enright - their traditional defenders would be really under the pump.

On Morton, IMO he needs to build significantly in the strength department to have an effective future. Not critically in the mass/bulk department although if an extra 5kg is a bi-product of his strengthening and conditioning then well and good. He's been in the system for a while now which is why I am not overly optimistic but it is possible I have underrated the recovery aspect that you mention. In any case, if he doesn't significantly improve in strength and power I think he'll struggle to be the player the club had hoped for.

Like i said. "Jack of all trades" ie. bounced all over the ground, including the midfield and "master of none" meaning they do none of them particulaly well. Although Dunn seems to as you say found his niche of most recent times.
Sort of why we need someone who does do that role well but anyway.

I still think we need a player who can perform a future sweeping role and someone with very good ball use by foot. Frawley is primarily concerned with a key forward and as good as he is more often than not IMO his impact starts from a fair way within defensive 50 - as you say he comes out of defensive 50. I think our focus next year needs to be cutting off opposition supply within our defensive 50 in the first place.
It is a credit to players like Frawley at how well they play given the amount of pressure they are under but IMO we need a roaming cut off player across half back so the ball doesn't get that far as often as it does. I guess what I'm saying is that we rely too much on our traditional defenders once the ball has gone deep. Think Hawthorn without Hodge, Collingwood without Maxwell, Geelong without Enright - their traditional defenders would be really under the pump.

Jack Grimes is our man; with the depth of talent through the midfield i see no reason to move him. But Hodge and Enright are the players who he needs to model himself on. Also Strauss will be a player.

On Morton, IMO he needs to build significantly in the strength department to have an effective future. Not critically in the mass/bulk department although if an extra 5kg is a bi-product of his strengthening and conditioning then well and good. He's been in the system for a while now which is why I am not overly optimistic but it is possible I have underrated the recovery aspect that you mention. In any case, if he doesn't significantly improve in strength and power I think he'll struggle to be the player the club had hoped for.

Agreed. It must be a priority this preseason. I also can't help but think he's taller than the 192cm that he was drafted at. This may have inhibited his ability to add bulk. I’m more worried about Bate, this was only Morton’s third season at AFL level.

Jack Grimes is our man; with the depth of talent through the midfield i see no reason to move him. But Hodge and Enright are the players who he needs to model himself on. Also Strauss will be a player.
You could be right in that Grimes could perfect that type of role. I like him at ground level, his balance and ability to break from an opponent, not completely sold on him in the air but it's early days, he'll improve in all facets.

Not sure that he won't go to the midfield full time at some stage though so we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Agreed. It must be a priority this preseason. I also can't help but think he's taller than the 192cm that he was drafted at. This may have inhibited his ability to add bulk. I’m more worried about Bate, this was only Morton’s third season at AFL level.
I think we have to accept at some point that Morton isn't goint to put on a lot more bulk. IMO he is quite simply another Michael Tuck. Watts will put on mass and bulk easier than Morton over the next couple of years. Some players just don't put on weight. It doesn't mean they can't become stronger and more powerful though which is the main issue here with Morton.

A Demonland poster said he needs to put on 15kg over the summer and I couldn't beleive it. He'd be the slowest player in the comp. He doesn't even have the power to move his current frame around quick enough let alone another 15kg. His body mechanics are slow and gangly. The reason he hesitates a lot is because he is not fast enough to get around an opponent which is why he holds it up and he still takes a second or two extra when preparing to pass by foot. Not enough power in the legs or core for quick movement or getting distance in a quick pass. If he addresses this then he's in business, if not then big problems.

You make a fair point about natural growth though where he is playing catch up with his body so yeah it isn't easy I guess.

I also share your sentiment re: Bate.

Bit harsh on young Morton there I reckon RB.

He certainly has some areas for improvement (notably kicking efficiency and core strength) but he's still young. I can't think of another club who wouldn't trade for him.

I remember Mathew Lappin being so skinny but was very very strong. I can't see Morton being a big guy but I can see him becoming an exceptional footballer when he's 26 or 27 and develops some natural strength.

I remember Mathew Lappin being so skinny but was very very strong. I can't see Morton being a big guy but I can see him becoming an exceptional footballer when he's 26 or 27 and develops some natural strength.
That is my whole point mate. If Morton can build his strength/power then he's not out of the game. Bulk is almost irrelevant in this case. I'm just saying that at this point in time he isn't strong enough. Big pre-season for Cale.

From the AFL Site

Melbourne (pick 12)

Cale Morton? I know he hasn't had the best year, don;t under estimate the injury to his knee. For mine the worst time to get injured is during the practice games in March. Look out for a fit, and hopefully stronger Cale Morton in 2010.

I completely agree whoever wrote that on the AFL site has no idea, we don't even need another KPB, we need another KPF who can develop with Watts.

I think you guys are missing the big problem with Morton, which I beleive to be his attitude. He has looked really disinterested all year, just sort of jogging here and there, not making an effort to impact or create a contest when the ball isn't to his advantage.

I hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, I hope he gets some inspiration this pre-season.

I think you guys are missing the big problem with Morton, which I beleive to be his attitude. He has looked really disinterested all year, just sort of jogging here and there, not making an effort to impact or create a contest when the ball isn't to his advantage.

I hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, I hope he gets some inspiration this pre-season.

Just to counter this argument, I remember after the Sydney game (where Morton played on Goodes) Jimmy Stynes coming to mort post match (this was still on the ground) and patting him on the back, looked to be saying 'you did well on a star player'. Cale still looked disgusted with himself, and seemed to say something of the sort to Jim. He seemed really dirty that he'd let goodes have such an impact. Hard to tell obviously, but it's an example of him looking 'interested'.

As a few pointed out above, I think his core strength is the biggest issue. IMO the best comparison for him is flower, and look how robbie turned out! Next season is a big one for him though.

Just to counter this argument, I remember after the Sydney game (where Morton played on Goodes) Jimmy Stynes coming to mort post match (this was still on the ground) and patting him on the back, looked to be saying 'you did well on a star player'. Cale still looked disgusted with himself, and seemed to say something of the sort to Jim. He seemed really dirty that he'd let goodes have such an impact. Hard to tell obviously, but it's an example of him looking 'interested'.

As a few pointed out above, I think his core strength is the biggest issue. IMO the best comparison for him is flower, and look how robbie turned out! Next season is a big one for him though.

That's good to hear, I didn't see anything of the sort all season. Although I will admit that he definitely played like he was interested in that match!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back