Review R5: Port v Gold Coast review

Remove this Banner Ad

Still gets me that people have a go at Kane for the way he plays. At least he would have won the ****ing football in the middle. And Pearce. Its alright dropping Pearce to make a statement but when you have a total of zero outside blokes running around, sometimes its handy having a bloke on the outside that can deliver teh ball, because we had zero out there today and about 7 clones of the same slow mostly inside but no outside midfiedlers running around.

Still gets me that people have a go at Kane for the way he plays. At least he would have won the ****ing football in the middle. And Pearce. Its alright dropping Pearce to make a statement but when you have a total of zero outside blokes running around, sometimes its handy having a bloke on the outside that can deliver teh ball, because we had zero out there today and about 7 clones of the same slow mostly inside but no outside midfiedlers running around.

Here's the rub.

Whatever 'statement' we're attempting to make with Kane and Danyle was looking good when we pulled a win out of our arses against a very ordinary Adelaide and were cruising against the Gold Coast, but after yet another trademark capitulation where numerous players committed the same sins they've been committing forever, where does it leave us?

Do we rush Kane and Danyle back in to bolster the midfield at the expense of sticking with this policy by leaving incumbent shirkers in, or do we have an each way bet by picking KC and DP and sending a pair of incumbent underperformers the other way, or do we stick to our guns and keep leaving them out again but at the hypocritical cost of leaving players who are far worse to hold their spots?

It's a mess.

An ill-thought, too-clever-by-half, 'I'm trying to stamp my mark on the playing group in a leftfield way because I've played with/coached most of them in the decade and a half I've been here and I have nothing new to say or bring to the table' move.

If he didn't want to play Danyle Pearce or wasn't happy with his style of play or inadequacies he should've traded him to the Gold Coast and got some quality picks.

Now what have we got? A player who is wasting away in the SANFL and whose currency is plummeting through the floor. Two if you count Kane.

Williams had lost the plot, and was stale to Sheedy proportions, but at least he had some semblance of a plan. On field and off.

We are making it up as we go along to the point where I'm expecting to see Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie in the box.

Re: An attempt at a review...

the aforementioned work ethic/putting body on the line of guys like logan/thomas ...

its gobsmacking that only these two on the list can be said to possess these qualities.

these should be part and parcel port adelaide qualities

we need to define again our culture ....

How much of an effect did our preseason have?

Beating GWS by inxs of 100 points in our last trial game didn't help us to harden up in prep for the season proper.

Not an excuse or a review, just a relevant observation.

i hope the players realise the respect they lost. even a 50 point win wont win mine back, not next week, or the week after that. its gone on for too long and its gonna take time to win it back. i suspect its the same for others here. we can talk about it in a year or 2.

My membership card is living in danger. The most insipid, humiliating, spineless, unprofessional, lazy and pride-less performance I can remember.

We the supporters should demand an inquiry into what went wrong. It should name names and include all staff. A summary should be released to supporters as a means of atoning for today's abomination and the full version used as a base for taking action against those responsible.

Dark dark day.

My membership card is living in danger. The most insipid, humiliating, spineless, unprofessional, lazy and pride-less performance I can remember.

We the supporters should demand an inquiry into what went wrong. It should name names and include all staff. A summary should be released to supporters as a means of atoning for today's abomination and the full version used as a base for taking action against those responsible.

Dark dark day.

i have 4 memberships, one written "Mapies" on it, rather than Magpies :rolleyes:, emailed the club and got no reply from them.How nice.

Like Freo in 2001, we have hit a rock bottom.I have accepted the fact that we are worse than Gold Coast and are likely to win the spoon.But like Rory said in the other thread, how many more of this "humiliating" defeat can we cop? we have entered a full blown Richmond cycle now and we have **** all depth.Dark days ahead for Port, i sometimes wish i was a bandwagoner, but i will stick by my club and pray for a turnaround later in the season...just give us any sign, any hope that we will be improving Matty please :(

maybe we are every bit as s**t as the collingwood/ st kilda/ bulldogs/carltons when they spent years on the bottom, we are just to dumb to realise it and actually bottom out so we can recruit the kind of players who can change our team, not add to it?

maybe we are every bit as s**t as the collingwood/ st kilda/ bulldogs/carltons when they spent years on the bottom, we are just to dumb to realise it and actually bottom out so we can recruit the kind of players who can change our team, not add to it?

dont worry we will recruit more skinny flankers next draft

Our biggest problem is our ruck situation.We are hopeless with brogan lol.
PS: Bring in moore :D

I love Logan to death, but today most of that 'ANZAC spirit' came from slamming into our own players.

that second time, I actually thought he was dead. Then he kinda wiggled his hands as if to think '**** it imma just gonna lie here for a bit'.

If you didn't know any better Carlile looks like a bloke who has signed. He looks genuinely disinterested and going through the motions. It's odd.

Either way you can't have him and Chaplin in the same backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew we had lost as soon as Primus resorted to putting Chad back as an extra loose man in defence (when we were still well in front).

Emptying our forward line to shore up our defence NEVER worked under Choco and it won't work under Primus.

It just serves to ensure that the only place the ball can end up is in our backlines with us under pressure.

Primus needs time to find his feet and to mould the squad in his image but that geez I hope he learns that lesson fast!

I laughed today just as much as I did last week. Unfortunately this week it was the "we are so *ing shite" laugh compared to the "they are so *ing shite" laugh.

^ET, I know we're at polar opposites as to our baseline faith in Primus, but I'd like to know where you think the philosophies and ideas needed to turn this team around and have it going forward are going to come from.

Today may has well have been Brisbane 08 or another home game vs Carlton under Williams, complete with baffling moves, stubborn selection and a complete inability to control a situation rapidly getting out of hand in spite of a goal buffer north of a handful.

I could cop another s**t year if we saw change, a fresh outlook and spirit, a structure and gameplan we could plug a Premiership lineup into one day.

But it's nothing. We have the same chiefs who sat behind the glass with Williams as nonplussed as they ever were - they're just in different seats.

As it stands, Primus' lone source of capital beyond 'favourite son' seems to be his ability to lead and inspire men. Aside from the results of one fearful spray last week, in the increasingly methodical world of AFL this commodity seems as valuable as pyrite - otherwise we'd have been better off giving Tom Hafey a call.

^ET, I know we're at polar opposites as to our baseline faith in Primus, but I'd like to know where you think the philosophies and ideas needed to turn this team around and have it going forward are going to come from.

Today may has well have been Brisbane 08 or another home game vs Carlton under Williams, complete with baffling moves, stubborn selection and a complete inability to control a situation rapidly getting out of hand in spite of a goal buffer north of a handful.
I could cop another s**t year if we saw change, a fresh outlook, a structure and gameplan we could plug a Premiership lineup into one day.

But it's nothing. We have the same chiefs who sat behind the glass with Williams as nonplussed as they ever were - they're just in different seats.

As it stands, Primus' lone source of capital beyond 'favourite son' seems to be his ability to lead and inspire men. Aside from the results of one fearful spray last week, in the increasingly methodical world of AFL this commodity seems as valuable as pyrite - otherwise we'd have been better off giving Tom Hafey a call.

Yeah his pressed was pathetic look like a naughty kid in front of the principal

So meek and nervous :(

I used to defend him thinking he was different to choco but it might take some time to beat the chocco out of the lads

Subbing off a midfield rotation player in Rodan with 10-12 mins left in the third quarter and leaving Hitchy on to 'play' a full 4 quarters was genius.

Make no mistake, our coaches box is filled chock-a-block to the brim with imbeciles.

Don't agree with the first comment - we were 40 points up. Rodan was doing his usual imitation of a player running hard on the spot but really avoiding contact - I'm tired of his cameos, which is all they really are, and would like to see him dropped next week and forced to play at least two games in a row of really good footy before he gets back in.

Second comment - I think we are short on quality too, though I like Matty's honesty. Just a bit worried about the ability to inspire though. Or force.

I could cop another s**t year if we saw change, a fresh outlook and spirit, a structure and gameplan we could plug a Premiership lineup into one day.

To be perfectly honest I don't know whether Primus is the answer (noone does).

I just think that it is way too early to be writing him off. This team of lilly livered, weak pricks were never going to turn it around over night. It is going to take time for Matty's message to get through and for the players to start to realise that their selection in the team and in fact their careers are on the line of they don't perform.

This is the thing I have liked most from Primus is that he has made it clear that no matter who you are he is willing to drop you (and I think we wil find out at the end of the year delist/trade you as well). I will judge Matty much more by his reaction to that performance than by the performance (both now and at the end of the year). I think the he couldnt control the performance today but he can control how he reacts.

I think that the only way to get these footy players to respond is at the selection table, they have ingored the words and pleas and 3/4 time crowd chants way too many times.

I think Matty will get better tactically over time but I think more importantly he won't stand for piss weak effort and he will be willing to play a bunch of kids if it means he finds the blokes who are willing to put in effort.

At least I hope so. :(

**** this team, seriously what a ****ing joke. I bought 2 silver memberships just so someone could go with me. I didn't have much money to spend but that's what I spent my budget on! This s**t. Primus you apologise, this teams finished I will not be going to a game for a while, this team os the most poorly managed team in the afl. Norwood should replace us, they would of won today.

People trying to find a positive, I like your outlook bit get ****ing real! We are screwed, our team doesn't care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back