Review Round 17, 2023 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Try reading the post again, there was reasons for any player in his first game to play bad under the situation Dante played his first game. After dominating in the magpies I would give him a go knowing it isn’t gunna be wet and he will know he will play.

I may be different coz I actually watched the magpies and saw how good Dante was

Hayes had everything going his way this week and still had his shorts pulled down. Didn’t run, didn’t contribute.

Jesus this is a weird take.

Dante showed he isn’t ready, even if you thought he has what it takes to be a good first ruck you would have to know he’s not remotely close to ready yet and needs more time.

Dante gets a mulligan for last week due to how he found his way into the team.

Gets a mulligan for me not so much for how he came in, but for the fact he was picked way too early and isn’t remotely ready.

especially to play as a first ruck versus how most rucks start off as 2nd rucks / resting forward.

My concern wasn’t that stat line, it was the complete lack of mobility. That was the worst I’ve seen any non ‘fully cooked body is destroyed’ player move in memory. Like I know Hayes cops s**t for being a dinosaur (and he is) but that was bad.

Just have to hope that what we saw was the absolute worst of his mobility and we see massive improvement from that + the rest of his game is so good it doesn’t matter if he’s got the turning circle of a container ship on dry land.

Is his fitness poor because he's been parked in the forward pocket, or is he parked in the forward pocket because his fitness is poor?

Confirmation bias will work out the rest.

No. Hayes has shown across tonnes of games, hell entire seasons he can lead the ruck at sanfl level. He won a bnf there. He showed last week he can.

He’s not parked in the forward line cause he’s not fit enough, he’s obviously parked there so they can play visentini and teakle in the ruck and develop them.

No doubt because they already decided Hayes is gone.

Finlayson last year was rated the number 1 ruck in the comp by champion data, this statement is just wrong

The opposition has worked out that Finlayson just concedes and started belting it 40m forward instead. Which completely negates Finlayson turning up at all.

Finlayson last year was rated the number 1 ruck in the comp by champion data, this statement is just wrong
Playing a possession heavy forward midfielder in the ruck gives you a statistical outlier. That shouldnt be surprising.

If we put Boak in the ruck he would get this same rating.

Dante showed he isn’t ready, even if you thought he has what it takes to be a good first ruck you would have to know he’s not remotely close to ready yet and needs more time.

No doubt because they already decided Hayes is gone.

Yes to both statements.

No secret that Port is actively considering trading in an experienced tall for next year - including a former SA lad whose name escapes me.

Credit to Willem Drew who I don't think has been spoken about much.

Rowell had 16 disposals and 11 contested at half time. Drew kept him to 2 in the third quarter and only 3 in the last.

That there is a big reason why we won the game.

I watched Sam Hayes pretty closely and in the first 3 minutes he had as many hit outs to advantage as Visentini had in over 40 minutes of game time last week. On that score alone Sam was an improvement on what was on offer last week. I am sure that no one thinks Hayes is our best ruck option but he has to be our no2 option. We need Lycett back but until he is right stick with Hayes.

On the score of rucks Charlie Dixon took a turn on the ball in the third quarter and after one ruck contest he was limping. Not sure why Ken persists in risking Big Charlie.
Yes, that first tap to advantage by Sam to one of our mids (JHF?) resulted in the Jezza’s snap for goal and then we started getting big heads which resulted in us displaying some unsuccessful party tricks and we then started to lose our momentum - not Sam’s fault. GC then started to dominate. They are a good side but suffer from what a lot of other teams don’t have, a rampaging duo of Zack and Connor. Hell they are good!
In short we must persevere with Sam and if we can dominate that centre circle early in the game the results will take care of themselves
edit. Also include a rampaging AA.

Last edited:
At least if this team starts off poorly, you can always rely on us to come back.

Days gone by if we started poorly in the first five minutes then that was the game.
Yep if we was behind at Qtr time before this year you could pack up and go home.
Behind at 3qtr time no hope in hell, that’s why I believe this is the best side we have had for many years.

Playing a possession heavy forward midfielder in the ruck gives you a statistical outlier. That shouldnt be surprising.

If we put Boak in the ruck he would get this same rating.

Still an incorrect statement

Lol what?

If finlayson was the best ruck why wouldn’t Hinkley, of all bloody coaches, continue to play him there?

As Eskimo said it’s a statistical outlier. Finlayson was getting rating points for stuff outside of the ruck.

Boak in the ruck during his peak would double all the rucks ratings … and it wouldn’t mean that he’s a great ruck.

Lol what?

If finlayson was the best ruck why wouldn’t Hinkley, of all bloody coaches, continue to play him there?

As Eskimo said it’s a statistical outlier. Finlayson was getting rating points for stuff outside of the ruck.

Boak in the ruck during his peak would double all the rucks ratings … and it wouldn’t mean that he’s a great ruck.
He said we have not had a better rucking performance in 2 years, other than Lycett and Hayes

Round 20 last year against Collingwood (just 1 example) finlayson was better as Ruck than Hayes was today, was an incorrect statement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said we have not had a better rucking performance in 2 years, other than Lycett and Hayes

Round 20 last year against Collingwood (just 1 example) finlayson was better as Ruck than Hayes was today, was an incorrect statement

Oh the game we got smashed 47-17 in the hitouts, the oppo ruck was one of the pies best players and we lost the game?

While finlayson got 20d? And then we brought in a different ruck to replace finlayson the next week?

That’s the pinnacle of ruck performance in your eyes?

Oh the game we got smashed 47-17 in the hitouts, the oppo ruck was one of the pies best players and we lost the game?

While finlayson got 20d? And then we brought in a different ruck to replace finlayson the next week?

That’s the pinnacle of ruck performance in your eyes?
Touche, only looked a Finlayson stats

Hayes lost the hit outs with his direct opponent 18/44 last night with no impact otherwise, the fact Finlayson had 20 disposals and 1 goal 1 with 6 clearances as well as nearly the same amount of hitouts I would argue is still better.

Hayes will probably get dropped this week as well anyway

Hayes lost the hit outs with his direct opponent 18/44 last night with no impact otherwise, the fact Finlayson had 20 disposals and 1 goal 1 with 6 clearances as well as nearly the same amount of hitouts

Incorrect.

At least if this team starts off poorly, you can always rely on us to come back.

Days gone by if we started poorly in the first five minutes then that was the game.
Yeah I was watching it with someone that doesnt watch footy closely and she kept asking if we should be worried as Gold Coast had really come to play.

I just kept saying dont worry at some point we switch on and we win. I dont necessarily think we win every game, especially vs the top teams, but I have 100% confidence in this side to get the expected wins now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back