Review Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a great game of footy. West coast outworked us all day. And they seemed to smash us in the centre. That on you Carr?

Jonas was too slow and did something average things.

Wines is really not contributing at the required level.

Essentially we are playing ‘short’ by persisting with these half done players.

At the game, Teakle was infuriating. Headless chook.

Jonas dropped a ridiculous amount of marks and gave up obvious free kicks.

JHF got nowhere near it, but also felt like a very unlucky game.

Rozee was best on ground to a point it would be silly to argue otherwise.

Drew was friggin everywhere.

Finlayson's positioning was elite.

Ollie Lord's attack on the football was clean, precise and his handballs were decisive and elite. He changed that forward line in the first half. He faded but gee whiz his presence was striking.

Junior did some nice things but also some super lazy attacks on the ball in one on one contests, trying to finesse rather than bodyline the ball.

Butters was silk.

Houston did some outstanding work that just left me shaking my head.

Darcy was excellent.

Bergman's size, strength and ability to read the ball are fantastic. His decision making has me tearing my hair out.

And lastly, Burton looked the absolutely natural forward he seemed before he was drafted. His leading patterns and timing were so good. His hands were great and his set shots were terrific. I know he won't stay there but goddamn, that's the player I was so excited about and bummed when we traded our first pick for Dixon haha. So glad we did the trade now though.

He’s a long way from the finished product. Reading that article today, he needs to mature and not get so hard on himself. Otherwise he won’t cope with quiet games, taggers, booing etc.

He got caught every time he went near it today and fumbled just a bit too much which allowed the Eagles mids to trap him.

He wasn’t great after a strong start.

For now he’s a 14-18 possession player and maybe for a bit longer.

The bigger issue for us is we keep getting smashed in ruck and Wines and Boak are offering nothing of substance.

We won hit outs clearances and centre clearances. How do you define getting smashed in ruck?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But what about swapping a crocked Wines for 100% of Bonner? Boak can go back in the guts and Bonner could take up Boak's wing role.

Just hate the mentality of grinding underdone players into the dirt. Surely the team would be better served if Wines rested and recovered properly from his injury, and then came back in the second half of the year to boost a tiring young midfield.
My post was more a comment against Mead coming in than against Wines going out.

Wouldn't be all that opposed to Wines getting a rest, problem is we have much bigger issues with our 22 than him right now and not all that much coming through the twos to fix them.

The opposition ruck had 13 clearances. Nothing else matters. A couple handfuls of largely ineffectual possessions and a stack of poorly directed hit outs meant zero.

In round 4 Lycett had second most clearances on ground and most thought it was a terrible game.

We broke even in hitouts and won clearances and center clearances. Teakle was serviceable

Jonas was the clear worst player on the ground on a team that won by 40 points. Utterly cooked as a player, would barley get a game for the Magpies at this rate.

My post was more a comment against Mead coming in than against Wines going out.

Wouldn't be all that opposed to Wines getting a rest, problem is we have much bigger issues with our 22 than him right now and not all that much coming through the twos to fix them.
25 touches as a handball machine feeding our much more skilled younger kids is exactly what you want from Wines in 2023. Particularly coming off half a preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25 touches as a handball machine feeding our much more skilled younger kids is exactly what you want from Wines in 2023. Particularly coming off half a preseason.
Yeah I think people don't realise that Ollie's tolerance changed (and needed to).

We don't want Ollie kicking it inside 50.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the game, Teakle was infuriating. Headless chook.

Jonas dropped a ridiculous amount of marks and gave up obvious free kicks.

JHF got nowhere near it, but also felt like a very unlucky game.

Rozee was best on ground to a point it would be silly to argue otherwise.

Drew was friggin everywhere.

Finlayson's positioning was elite.

Ollie Lord's attack on the football was clean, precise and his handballs were decisive and elite. He changed that forward line in the first half. He faded but gee whiz his presence was striking.

Junior did some nice things but also some super lazy attacks on the ball in one on one contests, trying to finesse rather than bodyline the ball.

Butters was silk.

Houston did some outstanding work that just left me shaking my head.

Darcy was excellent.

Bergman's size, strength and ability to read the ball are fantastic. His decision making has me tearing my hair out.

And lastly, Burton looked the absolutely natural forward he seemed before he was drafted. His leading patterns and timing were so good. His hands were great and his set shots were terrific. I know he won't stay there but goddamn, that's the player I was so excited about and bummed when we traded our first pick for Dixon haha. So glad we did the trade now though.
Agree with all those observations.

Was it really that bad of a performance? Probably did exactly what we needed to, yeah it would’ve been nice if we won by more but we always had the game under control. West coast have a s**t load of injuries but they aren’t completely awful and it was all about minimising damage for them.

We will know more after next Friday night.

Reading articles from the Melbourne media and the AFL I’m definitely getting a ‘reappoint’ Hinkley vibe’. Some of the praise was over the top
FFS, Port win 3 in a row against very average teams and a top 8 side that didn't bother to show up in round 1 and everyone praises Hinkley again. Hopefully Saints and the Bombers put these sentiments to rest.

Was it really that bad of a performance? Probably did exactly what we needed to, yeah it would’ve been nice if we won by more but we always had the game under control. West coast have a s**t load of injuries but they aren’t completely awful and it was all about minimising damage for them.

We will no more after next Friday night.

Nah, but you know it's faux performance as we have played some average sides of late. Nothing like Geelongs demolition of an average side last night.

Nah, but you know it's faux performance as we have played some average sides of late. Nothing like Geelongs demolition of an average side last night.

They had a similar 40 point win against west coast too the week before, where all the damage was done in the second quarter.

FFS, Port win 3 in a row against very average teams and a top 8 side that didn't bother to show up in round 1 and everyone praises Hinkley again. Hopefully Saints and the Bombers put these sentiments to rest.
So what will it take to prove that Port are a decent team?

What if they knock off the Saints next week?

Jonas was the clear worst player on the ground on a team that won by 40 points. Utterly cooked as a player, would barley get a game for the Magpies at this rate.
We are all hoping that Jonas gets a hit from the MRO, but he was not our worst; he was better than McEntee and Farell.
Surely this pair have been given enough chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back