Review Round 17, 2023 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

nah I am happy to give players credit, early on I openly admitted I was wrong with Williams. I hope I am wrong about Hayes but after yesterday I saw literally nothing that made me think he will be a good AFL player.
I would say this if you are expecting Hayes to run around like Tim English getting involved in handball chains you're never going to be happy with Hayes. The only ruck we have that will do that is Finlayson. But he is better used up forward.

Try reading the post again, there was reasons for any player in his first game to play bad under the situation Dante played his first game. After dominating in the magpies I would give him a go knowing it isn’t gunna be wet and he will know he will play.

I may be different coz I actually watched the magpies and saw how good Dante was

Hayes had everything going his way this week and still had his shorts pulled down. Didn’t run, didn’t contribute.
Do you sit at the back of bay 336? If so, can you please be less of a miserable campaigner?

We won it in the third quarter because the team switched on and played scintillating footy. Charlie can barely move. He's a good ruckman at stoppages and throwins, always has been. The problem is his body can't take it. He's not a good centre bounce ruck now because he has the mobility of a stobie pole.
Did you not watch the third quarter? Charlie absolutely smashed Witts in the centre bounces. The only centre clearances we gave up in the third quarter were when Hayes moved into the middle to give Charlie a rest.

When Charlie was rucking, he was taking the rucks in the defence, middle and forward line. When Hayes was rucking... Charlie was still taking them in the forward line.

Do you sit at the back of bay 336? If so, can you please be less of a miserable campaigner?
WTF? How bizarre.

Someone has a different view to you and the rest of the mob, expresses it passionately with reasons on a footy forum and they're the 'miserable campaigner'?

C'mon. Be better.

WTF? How bizarre.

Someone has a different view to you and the rest of the mob, expresses it passionately with reasons on a footy forum and they're the 'miserable campaigner'?

C'mon. Be better.

Aren’t we all miserable campaigners?

I need to sleep. Good night, guys.

I need to wake up in 5 hours. That’s not much of a rest.

What did People Think of the Subbing of Ben King?
Why not play him behind the ball or in the ruck(for 5 mins).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did People Think of the Subbing of Ben King?
Why not play him behind the ball or in the ruck(for 5 mins).
He was getting slaughtered by McKenzie and then slaughtered by Bergman. Had just 1 disposal in three quarters of footy.

Subbing him out under the mercy rule in the hope a smaller forward could maybe have an impact was the right move.

10 Connor Rozee (PORT)
8 Aliir Aliir (PORT)
5 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)
3 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
2 Levi Casboult (GCFC)
1 Zak Butters (PORT)
1 Ollie Wines (PORT)

Finally watched the game last night. Dylan Williams and Kane Farrell. Where the hell have they come from?
Also I’m not exactly sure what I’m basing this on but I have a feeling Junior Rioli is going to have a decent say on how we go from here on in.

Think you'll probably find that Hayes brief would have been about nullifying Witt's influence at clearance playing a purely defensive game in a similar way to Lycett. If he can get taps to advantage then all the better. Between Finlayson and Dixon they took the other 30% between them mostly when Casboult went in the ruck and in our forward line.

I think you've already made up your mind about Hayes and you're searching for the negative to back up your argument. If you focus on what he can do rather than what he can't you'll see some positives. I don't like comparing any of them because all our rucks have a different game. For the time being Viscentini & Teakle are better served spending time in the gym building strength and playing SANFL.

Witts hitouts to advantage:
Q1: 3
Q2: 6
Q3: 1
Q4: 5

I wont argue it's a one man show because hitouts to advantage is so heavily dependent on midfield, but I don't think there's much evidence to suggest Hayes was limiting Witts at all.

It's clearly the worst matchup for Hayes in my opinion, as his strength in taps is completely negated by Witts' height and he's always been bad at denying opposition hitouts to advantage.

Finally watched the game last night. Dylan Williams and Kane Farrell. Where the hell have they come from?
Also I’m not exactly sure what I’m basing this on but I have a feeling Junior Rioli is going to have a decent say on how we go from here on in.
There was one time when Farrell sliced through, IIRC, 3 players and looked like a midfielder doing the hard yards to get the ball out to the runner.

WTF? How bizarre.

C'mon. Be better.
Oh no! BigFooty’s most boring poster thinks I should be better. Spare me the sanctimony.

Witts hitouts to advantage:
Q1: 3
Q2: 6
Q3: 1
Q4: 5

I wont argue it's a one man show because hitouts to advantage is so heavily dependent on midfield, but I don't think there's much evidence to suggest Hayes was limiting Witts at all.

It's clearly the worst matchup for Hayes in my opinion, as his strength in taps is completely negated by Witts' height and he's always been bad at denying opposition hitouts to advantage.
Hayes spent nearly all the 1st quarter on the ground. when Witts was not as dominant. I'm the first one to say that Witts won the night. If you had the figures for just the hitouts Hayes v Witts then I would take more notice.

I thought he did OK and Witts certainly didn't dominate in the way some other rucks have against us this year.

Witts is only 3cm taller than Hayes I think they may have thought it was like v like and being a wet track running wasn't so much of an issue.

Did you not watch the third quarter? Charlie absolutely smashed Witts in the centre bounces. The only centre clearances we gave up in the third quarter were when Hayes moved into the middle to give Charlie a rest.

When Charlie was rucking, he was taking the rucks in the defence, middle and forward line. When Hayes was rucking... Charlie was still taking them in the forward line.
We should play Charlie as first ruck every week, we would kick 36 goals a game and Charlie would be the most dominant player in the history of the game, by your logic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back