Review Round 6, 2023 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to say well done to the boys and the coaching staff for a 4-2 start to the year.
One of those boring win that I like to see.
We got out to a reasonable lead in the 2nd and cantered home.
We just had a bit too much for the West Coasters.

Rozee deserving of BOG medal.
Finlayson playing well up forward as the main guy and also setting up guys.
Drew continued his good form.
Houston played well and just about always kicks to advantage.
I thought the rest of the midfield although not stunning still played hard. Butters, Wines and Horne-Francis.
And similarly Duursma and Boak kept on.
I don't want to anger people but I thought Teakle was OK considering it was his 3rd game. Not great and not poor. With confidence, he might do some things and get to know his midfield better.

Aliir was good but not great. Did a few undisciplined things which is not like him when he is playing well.
McKenzie unlucky not to get votes.
Bergman seems to be playing the 3rd tall Jonas role. He has a fast closing speed and as the 3rd guys in the marking contests kills a lot of forward movement for the opposition. Impressive.
I like Dylan Williams down back.
Jonas didn't have the world's best day.
Farrell was very quiet as well.

I like having the class of Byrne-Jones up forward.
Powell-Pepper is just a joy to watch. Good enough game.
McEntree was quiet all day.
Rioli bobbed up for a couple of sausage rolls.
Burton looked good up forward and will kick straight. He could be that medium forward who kicks goals like Fritsch. That would be awesome.
Lord was awesome for a first game player. Pretty damn excited with his crash and bash but also dishing out to guys. Made a difference. I think they put Barrass on him for a while.
Marshall was off early but has struggle to take a contested mark for a while.

Once again, I like the movement of the magnets on the board to see how some guys would play.
Burton up forward was great.

Our main priority this off season is to find a ruckmen, even more so than a KPD.
I like having the class of Byrne-Jones and Burton up forward some times.

I think Teakle - or just ruck in general, Jonas, McEntee and Farrell need to improve.

With a few of our young guys coming into the team and playing well - Lord, Williams - it would be nice to see a couple of other guys like Josh Sinn, Jase Burgoyne and Jake Pasini given a game or two to see how they go.

Rozee’s evasiveness is like no other in the comp. There was a moment yesterday where he pivoted back and forth 3 different ways in a quarter of a second before exiting straight out the front. He freezes opposition players as they have no clue where he will go and even if they do, with his speed and first step, he's already gone. What a unique talent he is. His kicking for goal outside 50 on the run is and can start to become even more of a weapon for his game.

He reminds me of a young Ben Cousins who had amazing evasive skills.

Jonas bump was a weird one where neither the action or outcome were bad but he has copped a week just cos there was a minor accidental clash of heads.

Burtons suspension I could live with, the action was bad and the outcome could’ve easily been too.

I understand no one cares if Jonas plays or not but far out that’s a shocking decision.

You can still knee someone in the back of the head going for a mark though, cos that’s still all part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol is this the bloke Jonas is in trouble for hitting?

d2afa09f552dd8c0d14322c17ee1c300

If it was anyone but Jonas he should get a reward

Was fairly happy with the win given the previous 2 games have been very tough. I'm just rapt Hinkley is on the bench & not in the box calling the moves etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to say well done to the boys and the coaching staff for a 4-2 start to the year.
One of those boring win that I like to see.
We got out to a reasonable lead in the 2nd and cantered home.
We just had a bit too much for the West Coasters.

Rozee deserving of BOG medal.
Finlayson playing well up forward as the main guy and also setting up guys.
Drew continued his good form.
Houston played well and just about always kicks to advantage.
I thought the rest of the midfield although not stunning still played hard. Butters, Wines and Horne-Francis.
And similarly Duursma and Boak kept on.
I don't want to anger people but I thought Teakle was OK considering it was his 3rd game. Not great and not poor. With confidence, he might do some things and get to know his midfield better.

Aliir was good but not great. Did a few undisciplined things which is not like him when he is playing well.
McKenzie unlucky not to get votes.
Bergman seems to be playing the 3rd tall Jonas role. He has a fast closing speed and as the 3rd guys in the marking contests kills a lot of forward movement for the opposition. Impressive.
I like Dylan Williams down back.
Jonas didn't have the world's best day.
Farrell was very quiet as well.

I like having the class of Byrne-Jones up forward.
Powell-Pepper is just a joy to watch. Good enough game.
McEntree was quiet all day.
Rioli bobbed up for a couple of sausage rolls.
Burton looked good up forward and will kick straight. He could be that medium forward who kicks goals like Fritsch. That would be awesome.
Lord was awesome for a first game player. Pretty damn excited with his crash and bash but also dishing out to guys. Made a difference. I think they put Barrass on him for a while.
Marshall was off early but has struggle to take a contested mark for a while.

Once again, I like the movement of the magnets on the board to see how some guys would play.
Burton up forward was great.

Our main priority this off season is to find a ruckmen, even more so than a KPD.
I like having the class of Byrne-Jones and Burton up forward some times.

I think Teakle - or just ruck in general, Jonas, McEntee and Farrell need to improve.

With a few of our young guys coming into the team and playing well - Lord, Williams - it would be nice to see a couple of other guys like Josh Sinn, Jase Burgoyne and Jake Pasini given a game or two to see how they go.
Love your work: a least three changes this week; four if Frank the Tank is given a go (for McEntee).

Coaches' votes for this match:

10 Connor Rozee (PORT)
7 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)
7 Bailey J Williams (WCE)
2 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Willem Drew (PORT)
1 Tim Kelly (WCE)
1 Dan Houston (PORT)

So Hinkley gave Williams either 2nd or 3rd BOG, surely he must realise that Teakle was a liability out there. Barrass stiff to get no votes for his performance.

Did they clash heads, looked like it was shoulder on shoulder that knocked him over. Looked a good hard bump.

Culley passed the concussion test and came back on, but he had a fair shiner on his cheekbone.

Coaches' votes for this match:

10 Connor Rozee (PORT)
7 Jeremy Finlayson (PORT)
7 Bailey J Williams (WCE)
2 Zak Butters (PORT)
2 Willem Drew (PORT)
1 Tim Kelly (WCE)
1 Dan Houston (PORT)

So Hinkley gave Williams either 2nd or 3rd BOG, surely he must realise that Teakle was a liability out there. Barrass stiff to get no votes for his performance.
Teakle did his job and offers more than Lycett: Williams was not involved with any link ups resulting in a goal.

Finally sat and watched the replay today, having been at the game last Saturday. It was fun and had lots of classy footy, as I remembered it.
After reading so much negativity here after the game it made me wonder what I'd missed. The answer is I'd only really missed the extent to which Lord and Teakle cracked in. Lord in particular had stats that didn't reflect his effort and effectiveness. And just like when I was at the game I thought all umpires must be North Melbourne fans, because they sure hate Jason Horne-Francis.

..... And just like when I was at the game I thought all umpires must be North Melbourne fans, because they sure hate Jason Horne-Francis.
I've posted about this previously,

Quick check on AFL Tables, last year JHF played 17 matches 31 For, 28 Against.
This year 6 games in and tracking at 6 For, 14 Against.

In 2022 North as a whole had 438-473 (-35) comparable to Ports 415-445 (-30)
So far this season North tracking at 114-133 (-19), Ports 122-160 (-38).

Make of it what you like, however I haven't notice us being unfashionable or excessively ill discipline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back