The 500 club

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Which of these current players will be the 49th player in history to kick a total of 500?
J.Brown - 498 (210 games)
M.Pavlich - 492 (257 games)
S.Milne - 492 (237 games)
L.Franklin - 456* (143 games)

*could go nuts against a weakened Geelong defence

IIRC Pavlich only needs to kick 22 more goals to go past Peter Sumich as the most career goals kicked by a player from a West Australian club.

You'd think Brown would easily kick 2 in a day in round 3 when he returns.

Just depends if Pavlich and Milne can do it quicker. I'll go Milne then Pavlich.

Just for kicks (arf), who else is thereabouts the mark?

Will be good to have 4 blokes inducted into the club this year

Is that 49th player VFL/AFL?

Because many a 'WA Club' player has kicked over 500, like Bernie Naylor for the Bullies for example cracking the 1000 mark.

LOL, and here comes the Victoria vs SA/WA shitfight. :D

Which of these current players will be the 49th player in history to kick a total of 500?
S.Milne - 492 (237 games)

*could go nuts against a weakened Geelong defence

IIRC Pavlich only needs to kick 22 more goals to go past Peter Sumich as the most career goals kicked by a player from a West Australian club.

Still find it crazy that Buddy will crack the 500 mark within 200 games. Has this been done a lot? Not trying to boast, and I know he's more of a key forward than the others mentioned (though post-2009 he's been moving up the ground more and more), just someone who's ignorant of the past (circa early 90's) and unwilling to look it up himself. :cool:

[/SIZE]
Brown and Pav both started the same year, in 2000. That Pavlich has kicked almost the same number of goals as Brown, and played almost 50 more games, really highlights how much footy Brown has missed over the years mostly through injury.

If Brown plays next week, and I'm sure he is as they might not risk him on the longest trip in football, then he should get there first.
If he does play then it could even be possible that both he and Pav get to 500 together in the same game!

M.Pavlich - 492 (257 games)/S.Milne - 492 (237 games)
Order about right. Presuming Brown will start play next week. Pav and Milne about the same chance, both might even do it this week, but highly unlikely...

His current average is 3 goals per game. Assuming he stays at that rate, he'd need 333 games to hit 1000 goals. That's another 190 games to get there. Not impossible, but fairly unlikely.

His current average is 3.2 so would require 315 games or another 170 games. Since his first 2 seasons he has averaged 3.7, if he keeps that average for the rest of his career it would require another 147 games

Just for kicks (arf), who else is thereabouts the mark?

Will be good to have 4 blokes inducted into the club this year

Riewoldt is on 475, no one else is above 400

His current average is 3 goals per game. Assuming he stays at that rate, he'd need 333 games to hit 1000 goals. That's another 190 games to get there. Not impossible, but fairly unlikely.

Depends, if he could play deeper in the long run he could average over 3 a game and stick around for longer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still find it crazy that Buddy will crack the 500 mark within 200 games. Has this been done a lot? Not trying to boast, and I know he's more of a key forward than the others mentioned (though post-2009 he's been moving up the ground more and more), just someone who's ignorant of the past (circa early 90's) and unwilling to look it up himself. :cool:

Coleman kicked 527 goals in 99 games, Hudson kicked 727 in 129 games. 500 in 200 would have been done a fair bit.

Coleman kicked 527 goals in 99 games, Hudson kicked 727 in 129 games. 500 in 200 would have been done a fair bit.

Modra kicked 588 in 165 so would have got to 500 in less than 150. I recall at the time that he kicked his 400th goal it was right around his 100th game. May have even been in that game.

I think 500 in 200 would have been done plenty of times over the years.

Edit: Just checked and he did kick his 400th in his 100th game and his 500th came in his 134th game. I'd suggest that Lockett, Dunstall, even Lloyd etc. would have reached both milestones quicker.

Hudson did it in 87 games. Lockett in 104 games and I am pretty sure Dunstall and McKenna would have done it in fast time.

It is impossible to compare forwards from different generations. Much harder to score these days.

But you can compare players from the same generation. The fact that Franklin is not far off catching Brown, Pavlich, Milne and Riewoldt, despite a 5 year age gap, is pretty remarkable.

Hudson... 500 in 87 games!

Incredible.

Reckon Lloyd was the last for a long time with a realistic shot at 1000. Footy will have to change or evolve a fair bit for it to happen again, coaches just don’t allow or want predictable attacks, and players are now so fit and able to rush back numbers to clog up in defence a lot more easily

Hudson... 500 in 87 games!

Incredible.

Reckon Lloyd was the last for a long time with a realistic shot at 1000. Footy will have to change or evolve a fair bit for it to happen again, coaches just don’t allow or want predictable attacks, and players are now so fit and able to rush back numbers to clog up in defence a lot more easily

Lloyd would've got there if it wasn't for that damn hamstring. Franklin is a legitimate shot though.

At this point of their careers Lloyd was ahead by a decent amount but post-hamstring he wasn't the same player and obviously retired by 31. There is plenty of scope for Franklin to make up that lost ground.

Modra kicked 588 in 165 so would have got to 500 in less than 150. I recall at the time that he kicked his 400th goal it was right around his 100th game. May have even been in that game.

Edit: Just checked and he did kick his 400th in his 100th game and his 500th came in his 134th game. I'd suggest that Lockett, Dunstall, even Lloyd etc. would have reached both milestones quicker.

Lloyd kicked his first 500 in 141 games.

Lloyd would've got there if it wasn't for that damn hamstring. Franklin is a legitimate shot though.

At this point of their careers Lloyd was ahead by a decent amount but post-hamstring he wasn't the same player and obviously retired by 31. There is plenty of scope for Franklin to make up that lost ground.

Possibly, and personally I hope so, I love spearheads… but I dunno. Clarkson is the same, I recall him a few times saying how they want and need multiple options up forward.

Don't forget Fevola :) 575 in 187 games
Best forward of the noughties IMO

Possibly, and personally I hope so, I love spearheads… but I dunno. Clarkson is the same, I recall him a few times saying how they want and need multiple options up forward.

It'll be difficult no doubt. CHF rarely keep playing well into their 30s due to the beatings their bodies take. Buddy might be different given he's more an athlete than a power player but it'll be close either way.

Don't forget Fevola :) 575 in 187 games
Best forward of the noughties IMO

Think you're forgetting about Lloyd. More goals at a better average and more Coleman Medals. Also much more dominant at his peak (and a longer peak) and actually helped his team win games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back