Expansion 3rd Sydney AFL side prediction

I very much doubt we'll see a 3rd NSWs team in our lifetime, still a long way to go to establish the other 2, Swans have decent crowd figures but they don't rate on the box in Sydney yet, culture doesn't change overnight, 'if' the Swans-WS can rate 40% what the NRL clubs rate within 30 years the AFL will be happy.

Speak for yourself ...

30 odd years ago, no one could imagine 1 team in Sydney let alone 2. Progress comes over time.. and I'd predict in 15-20 years we'll be looking at team no.3.

If GC wasnt so close to Brisbane you could also be talking about a second Brisbane team within that same or less time frame.... which I think would be a hysterical if the AFL had 2 teams in Brisbane before Rugby!

The lack of a second team in Brisbane illustrates the weakness and/or timidity and/or lack of vision of the NRL compared to our administrators ... that the AFL can have 2 teams in every state, and you could even speculate about a 2nd or 3rd side in Sydney before they even have 2 in Brisbane is quite extraordinary.., . and when football historians mull over this period in 40 years time they'll probably point to this as a key factor in shaping of the furture of both sports in the national/professional sphere.

Pretty sure they did ... Harry Potter doesnt actually exist.

Spoken by someone who has never lived in NSW and does not understand the resistance to the AFL?

The resistance is alot less than it used to be, alot less.

Come on. Sydney loves sport. There is just far more diversity in sport up here and we do not get obsessed about attending live sport. The Swans have done extremely well in creating a niche for themselves. Given their limited fan base their ground attendances are the envy of Rugby League clubs. Some Swans players are even well known amongst sports fans such as Goods and Garry Jacks son.

Assuming you are comparing Sydney to Victoria. Victoria has a lot more variety, and im from Sydney.
They both have all the football codes, cricket, basketball and netball. Melbourne has the Australian Open and a Grand Prix. Oh, are you referring to the LFL??

riiight. Dubbo? You quoted a post talking about WA. Was pretty clear you were talking about WA.

You have clearly no idea what you are talking about. Please go back and read my original post. You were the first one to bring up WA. I replied being nice. West =/ WA.

Sydney does not want a 2nd AFL team let alone a 3rd AFL team. They don't want AFL shoved in their faces.
There's a lot of vocal resentment from League fans. These are not the market the AFL are aiming at. There are a lot of people who really just aren't that into League.

Thats Sydney. They dont care about sport.
Total absolute rubbish. They have been served up a B-grade football code. I'm not saying serve them up AFL and they will come out of their shells but what I am saying is this is an excuse that League supporters use to justify their game's s**t heap existence.

The cold hard truth is that Vic, SA, and WA fans are passionate about footy. NSW and QLD (bar SOO) are not. It's not Sydney people, it's because they are exposed to games that invoke different levels of passion (read: one game is better than the other).

Most say the same thing..they have a passing interest in the swans but when it comes to following the code they simple don't care. It's not that they don't like the game..they just don't care enough about it to become fanatics like all victorians.
I guess this explains where you get your silly opinions from - sounds like you're from Sydney.

Do you want to know the truth?

You are quite correct in what you are saying but you have conveniently disregarded:

a) That passing interest you talk about now is 20 times more than it was 30 years ago. Let me spell this s**t out for you: AFL is growing in Sydney. If it's grown that much in 30 years then what do you think will happen in the next 30.....

It's not rocket science

b) AFL does not require saturation in Sydney. They just need 30,000 members per club, another 250,00 to follow each club (ranging from "full blooded AFL fan" to "they're my team but I'm indifferent. Well if they make the GF I'll get on the bandwagon")

Why do people say that?
If you want a Tasmanian team then you need a partner.
One additional team does nothing to the market.
Two additional teams mean a quantum leap.
(That's unless you're talking about relocation which has nothing to do with more Sydney teams.)

Well said to many people on here do understand how it works, they use the heart not brain.

Bunsen Burner, interest in the Swans has been on the decline in an alarming way since 1996. In that year average crowds where 41k, last year they where 25k so far this year they are 23k. In its first year the Swans averaged 21k. Not sure that the growth is as exciting as you seem to think.
Sydney is not being introduced to AFL. We have been inundated by it since 1995. Anyone who was interested in AFL would definately have gotten onboard over that period of time. AFL rates poorly on TV and this would have to be the measure of the most "passing of interest".
You are correct in that there are a lot of people from Sydney who are not interested in League (or Union). But these people would generally not be interested in Sport. I am just not sure they are going to be suddenly enticed to the charms of AFL - now that they 'suddenly" have a team to support.
But, please Victoria, save us from our lesser football codes. You incist.

Bunsen Burner, interest in the Swans has been on the decline in an alarming way since 1996. In that year average crowds where 41k, last year they where 25k so far this year they are 23k. In its first year the Swans averaged 21k. Not sure that the growth is as exciting as you seem to think.
Sydney is not being introduced to AFL. We have been inundated by it since 1995. Anyone who was interested in AFL would definately have gotten onboard over that period of time. AFL rates poorly on TV and this would have to be the measure of the most "passing of interest".

????Where did you get those figures from????

In 1996 the average was 24574. The crowds have peaked at about 35k in 1997 and 2007 (ill let you figure out why).
Looking at the graph below we can see there is a clear positive trend ... this is called growth.
Yes crowds have dropped the last two years but that is easily explainable by history. Last year people thought the Swans were beginning to bottom out (history shows support drops in all sports). This year SCG redevelopment has reduced the capacity, especially the bronze areas ... which are now sold out every match.

trendb.png

Yes there has been a negative trend the last ten years (examining the numbers), however again if you look at the redevelopment of the SCG you will see that crowds have been pretty much on par.

You are forgetting the absolute hatred that many people used to hold for AFL. This has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Compare the views on AFL by a schoolchild today to one 15 years ago and you will find a very different response. Come 4-5 years you will start seeing more and more Auskick generation kids getting into fulltime work and able to afford a ticket to matches.

You are correct in that there are a lot of people from Sydney who are not interested in League (or Union). But these people would generally not be interested in Sport. I am just not sure they are going to be suddenly enticed to the charms of AFL - now that they 'suddenly" have a team to support.

In my experience you are wrong. I know plenty of Sydneysiders starting to follow Australian Football at an older age despite no previous inclination to sport.
Additionally the AFL is going for youth as they have yet to have resentment to football taught to them. The older generations have already made their mind up.

Bunsen Burner, interest in the Swans has been on the decline in an alarming way since 1996. In that year average crowds where 41k, last year they where 25k so far this year they are 23k. In its first year the Swans averaged 21k.
How is this different to any other team? 1996 they made the GF. In recent years they have been a bit average. This year they have surprised everyone and are still under the radar. My son plays Auskick here so ever year I check the fixture to see if there's any Swans games I want to go to (at SCG) and to be honest none took my fancy. Who wants to go see Swans v Bulldogs in the rain?

You're also aware that 2 whole stadiums are in the process of getting knocked down, right? SCG capacity is probably only 25k.

Not sure that the growth is as exciting as you seem to think.
Have you lived in Sydney for a long period recently? Because I've lived here for over 15 years and the growth in acceptance, participation, and interest in AFL has had massive growth. There are goals post now in every suburb. There's a long long way to go but the ball is rolling.

Sydney is not being introduced to AFL. We have been inundated by it since 1995. Anyone who was interested in AFL would definately have gotten onboard over that period of time.
Are you serious? Something tells me you are young and clueless.

People don't gain interest over night. It's not a "so do you like it or not?" proposition. It's a League city and getting mindshare is a long long process. Literally billions of dollars will be sunk into Sydney for marketing, grassroots footy, footy institutes, pay cuts on TV rights to get get exposure, propping up of clubs etc There's new people coming to Sydney all the time. Immigrants don't come here and jump on a sporting team straight away. They assimilate over time and will most likely follow teams that their Australian friends follow. Most likely it will be a League team, but the AFL need to have a presence and need to be visible.

More importantly it's about generational change. I've already mentioned this but it's gone over your head. Most 35+ year olds have grown up with League. They resent and fear AFL. They have a chip on their shoulder. But their kids are often different. They see AFL as just another one of the 4 codes. They haven't witnessed the days of when Sydney were League and Melbourne were AFL. They have seen the advent of it becoming glaringly onvious to everyone that the AFL is the big dog of Australian sport. They haven't suffered the relisation that the sport they were indoctrinated into is B-grade. One generation has seen a massive change. What do you think will happen to today's kids' kids?

What do you think Australian born chinese and indian will do in years to come when there are 4 AFL teams in Sydney and it's blatantly obvious this is premier football competition in Australia? And they can support a LOCAL team. That's why the AFL need to be in Sydney.

You know I've sen the demographic of AFL followers also change? I often see Azins at games now. Wouldn't have seen 1 Azin out of 35k Swans crowd 15 years ago.

The AFL is coming. Suck it up.

AFL rates poorly on TV and this would have to be the measure of the most "passing of interest".
No s**t (in Sydney). But that's part of the growth process. I'm starting to wonder if you have any awareness about business whatsoever? Imagine if Ray Croc said "well, down there is Australia no one is asking for Big Macs. Better give that territory a miss"

All you're doing is coming across as a typical League fan.

Who said anything about "sudden".

Can you not see what you're doing? The AFL is going to take decades to get a decent foothold in Sydney. Everyone here has posted that. But then you counter that argument by building a straw argument as if everyone thinks the AFL will waltz in, box up league, and take over. Couldn't be further from the truth. You have made up this straw argument more to justify to yourself that AFL is not the big dog of Australia sport and it will never catch on here.

You are threatened and it shows.

No one is trying to do this. Again this how you justify it to yourself. It's call denial.

Everyday I hear or read about this AFL v NRL war. I don't hear it from AFL people, only League people. The AFL are just growing their game. Same thing League are trying to do but failing. League people have to resort to "those bad arrogant AFL people".

The truth is that the AFL DO have the most popular game in the country by a fair distance. Is that arrogance? Or is it League people having a chip on their shoulder about it? Do you think it would be much different if the tables were turned?

How is this different to any other team? 1996 they made the GF. In recent years they have been a bit average. This year they have surprised everyone and are still under the radar. My son plays Auskick here so ever year I check the fixture to see if there's any Swans games I want to go to (at SCG) and to be honest none took my fancy. Who wants to go see Swans v Bulldogs in the rain?

Unfortunately for them, a lot more people are doing what your doing.

You're also aware that 2 whole stadiums are in the process of getting knocked down, right? SCG capacity is probably only 25k.

The Geelong game got 27k and there were still spare seats, I've seen estimates around 30k and you'd have to think thats spot on.

Have you lived in Sydney for a long period recently? Because I've lived here for over 15 years and the growth in acceptance, participation, and interest in AFL has had massive growth. There are goals post now in every suburb. There's a long long way to go but the ball is rolling.

Goal posts in every suburb? Come on. I live in the shire and I know of 2 fields.

More importantly it's about generational change. I've already mentioned this but it's gone over your head. Most 35+ year olds have grown up with League. They resent and fear AFL. They have a chip on their shoulder. But their kids are often different. They see AFL as just another one of the 4 codes. They haven't witnessed the days of when Sydney were League and Melbourne were AFL. They have seen the advent of it becoming glaringly onvious to everyone that the AFL is the big dog of Australian sport. They haven't suffered the relisation that the sport they were indoctrinated into is B-grade. One generation has seen a massive change. What do you think will happen to today's kids' kids?

Lol good one. Do you honestly think this?

What do you think Australian born chinese and indian will do in years to come when there are 4 AFL teams in Sydney and it's blatantly obvious this is premier football competition in Australia? And they can support a LOCAL team. That's why the AFL need to be in Sydney.

4 teams? Mate, its more likely that GWS will fold then the AFL will get a third side! But but but, who will the chinese and indians support?!?!?!?!

You know I've sen the demographic of AFL followers also change? I often see Azins at games now. Wouldn't have seen 1 Azin out of 35k Swans crowd 15 years ago.

I'm sure they appreciate you callins them Azin. That will really get them coming back.

No s**t (in Sydney). But that's part of the growth process. I'm starting to wonder if you have any awareness about business whatsoever? Imagine if Ray Croc said "well, down there is Australia no one is asking for Big Macs. Better give that territory a miss"

Growth process? It's been 30 years. When are the swans going to outrate Iron Chef? Are we going to give it another 30 years and it might double to 100k?

The truth is that the AFL DO have the most popular game in the country by a fair distance. Is that arrogance? Or is it League people having a chip on their shoulder about it? Do you think it would be much different if the tables were turned?

Based on? Because over 6 million more people watched NRL last year.

I would have thought if any city warranted a 3rd team it would be Perth. But like others I would love to see Tassie get a gig. But I think the next interstate development should be built on the moving of a current struggling Victorian club rather than creating a new brand.

Unfortunately for them, a lot more people are doing what your doing.
Welcome to the world of professional sport spectatorship. It fluctuates according to success.

Goal posts in every suburb? Come on. I live in the shire and I know of 2 fields.
Yes or no:

Have goal posts popped up all over the place in Sydney in the last 10 years? 10-15 years ago there were hardly any.

Lol good one. Do you honestly think this?
Lol. Do you honestly not think it?

Proof is in the pudding. Goal posts everywhere. Now played in some schools (I think GPS are getting on board).

All I hear from old guys:

GAYFL
Aerial ping pong
That stupid sport
You can knock on! It's s**t! (seriously wtf?)

What I hear from kids:
I played some AFL today
Generally nothing negative from kids who play other codes. They just accept that it's another option. Some are not interested at all, some don't mind having a kick. But there's non eof that silly stuff that I hear from 35+ year olds. And I have explained why.

If you don't think it's like that then you're in a vacuum.

4 teams? Mate, its more likely that GWS will fold then the AFL will get a third side! But but but, who will the chinese and indians support?!?!?!?!
Wow. You really have no idea about how money the AFL have. I feel sorry for you. It's going to be hard to take when you realise GWS are in for the long haul.

The difference between AFL and League: AFL is far more popular hence it makes far more money. When the AFL go into a non AFL territory they have the fiances to back them in until it works. League on the other hand can't afford to. They'd probably like to but they just can't afford it.

How many AFL teams have folded lately?

Conversely:

Western reds
Adelaide Rams
Hunter mariners
Gold Coast Fury or something
Possibly the Titans

Welcome to reality dipstick.

Growth process? It's been 30 years. When are the swans going to outrate Iron Chef? Are we going to give it another 30 years and it might double to 100k?
You're just not getting it. par for the course for the typical working class chip on the shoulder leaguie.

Answer: as long as it takes. It's a slow process. The AFL only needs 30k members per club. It doesn't need blanket support (it would like it, but it's unrealistic). It seems to really piss you off (and your Leaguie mates) that the NRL can't do what the AFL are doing.

Tell me you wouldn't love the NRL to be in the position of the AFL where you could go plonk teams in Perth and Adelaide?

Based on? Because over 6 million more people watched NRL last year.
Wow. So you really think League is bigger than AFL?

Any chance you can offer up some answers:

1. Why do the AFL get more for TV rights? Also consider the AFL takes a lesser amount so they can show games in non AFL states which the NRL does not do.

2. Why are the AFL cashed up whilst the NRL are broke (ie have next to no cash flow)?

3. Are you religious?

Please, humour me, answer the questions.

I think the AFL will want to focus on the stabilization both in on field performance and bottom line of the current expansion cubs before considering a third. I'd give it a few decades... Half a century even... at least.

Who will support them? The AFL have made a mistake here. Perth is big enough for 3 teams population wise but the supporters have already made their minds up.
Any new club is going to have to build its supporter base. Maybe the elevation of a WAFL club might bring some supporters along with it? Maybe those who support either WCE or Freo may switch as a new club gives them a chance to see games live. Maybe there are ppl who hate the current teams anyway. Who knows but I think it is simplistic to think that the ppl of WA are so stubbornly fixated on the current clubs only.

I think the AFL will want to focus on the stabilization both in on field performance and bottom line of the current expansion cubs before considering a third. I'd give it a few decades... Half a century even... at least.
I think it will happen much sooner than 50 years. Swans are still not where they should be yet. Until they get a minimum 35k to games year in year out they are yet there. What will help the Swans get there is the growth of the code in Sydney. This means the AFL putting resources into new teams. This will help the Swans grow too.

I'm thinking GWS will also take 30 years. But as long as the AFL can financially handle it I do see any value out of waiting for GWS to get to Sydney's current position. I think it will be somewhere between 10 and 20 years before they're ready to go again. Dimetriou's legacy is GC and GWS. He will stick around for another 5 years just nursing those two and running the game. I believe it will be a future CEO's mandate (not necessarily the next one) to relocate a couple of Melbourne teams to Sydney.

Any new club is going to have to build its supporter base.
But everyone already follows a team. How many people will realistically jump off Freo and West Coast?

Perth is done for the foreseeable future..

Maybe the elevation of a WAFL club might bring some supporters along with it?
Didn't work with Port (The AFL's biggest ever mistake by some distance) and Port have a far bigger following than any WAFL club.

If you pick a WAFL club you will get plenty of supporters from that club swapping from Eagles and Dockers. But no one else from the other 7 traditional WAFL clubs. Will never work.

The other option is focusing on a geographical area. Mandurah has less than 100,000. Sothwest: Mandurah, Bunbury, Collie etc: 200k tops. Just not enough at this stage. i'd say Mandurah needs to get to 200k. Geelong has 160k and that's a bare minimum. Don't forget Mandurah is full of Dockers and Eagles supporters. Many will swap but some won't.

Maybe those who support either WCE or Freo may switch as a new club gives them a chance to see games live.
You know there's a new stadium being built, right?

Maybe there are ppl who hate the current teams anyway.
Yep, they support other clubs or footy just hasn't grabbed them. Only a small opportunity here.

Who knows but I think it is simplistic to think that the ppl of WA are so stubbornly fixated on the current clubs only.
I think it's a bit simplistic to think enough will change or come from anew to sustain a 3rd team. It's just not going to happen unless Mandurah or Jonndalup grow to at least 200k, or a new city is built somewhere.

Welcome to the world of professional sport spectatorship. It fluctuates according to success.

Just in case you didn't realise... Swans are coming first and have like 15 year low crowds...

Yes or no:

Have goal posts popped up all over the place in Sydney in the last 10 years? 10-15 years ago there were hardly any.

The two that I mentioned in the shire have been there for over 15 years.

Lol. Do you honestly not think it?

Proof is in the pudding. Goal posts everywhere. Now played in some schools (I think GPS are getting on board).

All I hear from old guys:

GAYFL
Aerial ping pong
That stupid sport
You can knock on! It's s**t! (seriously wtf?)

What I hear from kids:
I played some AFL today
Generally nothing negative from kids who play other codes. They just accept that it's another option. Some are not interested at all, some don't mind having a kick. But there's non eof that silly stuff that I hear from 35+ year olds. And I have explained why.

If you don't think it's like that then you're in a vacuum.

As a teacher, they don't. The only AFL player they could name would be Falou but even he doesn't get a gig and is looking likely to be back in league next year. Dunno which schools you are hanging round, but I've never heard a student say "I played some AFL today" even after we had the GWS boys came out.

Wow. You really have no idea about how money the AFL have. I feel sorry for you. It's going to be hard to take when you realise GWS are in for the long haul.

Everyone knows how much it has, but what about after years of pumping hundreds of millions into it and it's still not going anywhere. They would have been better off giving that money to the swans and the lions.

The difference between AFL and League: AFL is far more popular hence it makes far more money. When the AFL go into a non AFL territory they have the fiances to back them in until it works. League on the other hand can't afford to. They'd probably like to but they just can't afford it.

You never heard of the Melbourne Storm?

How many AFL teams have folded lately?

Conversely:

Western reds
Adelaide Rams
Hunter mariners
Gold Coast Fury or something
Possibly the Titans

Welcome to reality dipstick.

Nor the super league war? Any coincidence that the swans have improved ever since the war that almost killed league? If you don't see that correlation you are a moron.

Answer: as long as it takes. It's a slow process. The AFL only needs 30k members per club. It doesn't need blanket support (it would like it, but it's unrealistic). It seems to really piss you off (and your Leaguie mates) that the NRL can't do what the AFL are doing.

Tell me you wouldn't love the NRL to be in the position of the AFL where you could go plonk teams in Perth and Adelaide?

There will be a team in Perth, but there's no point putting a team there if no one wants it (think GWS and GC). Timing needs to be right, support needs to be there.

Wow. So you really think League is bigger than AFL?

Any chance you can offer up some answers:

1. Why do the AFL get more for TV rights? Also consider the AFL takes a lesser amount so they can show games in non AFL states which the NRL does not do.

2. Why are the AFL cashed up whilst the NRL are broke (ie have next to no cash flow)?

3. Are you religious?

Please, humour me, answer the questions.

1. Because news ltd sold the rights to it self. You knew news ltd owned NRL yeh? You also know they own channel 9 and fox? Gallop didn't even open it to open tender, just renewed it. The new NRL deal will be close to the AFL one, but in reality will be more because we aren't pumping 100s of millions into clubs no one wants.

2. Of course. But the NRL has always been broke and still manages to out rate AFL, even after the super league war which almost killed the sport.

3. No.

I think it will happen much sooner than 50 years. Swans are still not where they should be yet. Until they get a minimum 35k to games year in year out they are yet there. What will help the Swans get there is the growth of the code in Sydney. This means the AFL putting resources into new teams. This will help the Swans grow too.

We have seen putting GWS in has taken 5k off swans crowds, what do you think putting another team in will do? Lol you truly are a moron.

I would have thought if any city warranted a 3rd team it would be Perth.

Firstly this irrelevant to the 3d Sydney team discussion as stated before
there is only benefit if two new teams are included so Sydney excludes nobody.
The case for WA is only a technical one - it could be done, but is doesn't add value to the AFL
much the same way Tasmania was overlooked.

But I think the next interstate development should be built on the moving of a current struggling Victorian club rather than creating a new brand.

As stated before, relocations have nothing much to do with the formation of new teams.
I don't think any team is going to be relocated to Sydney.

Firstly this irrelevant to the 3d Sydney team discussion as stated before there is only benefit if two new teams are included so Sydney excludes nobody.
The case for WA is only a technical one - it could be done, but is doesn't add value to the AFL
much the same way Tasmania was overlooked. As stated before, relocations have nothing much to do with the formation of new teams. I don't think any team is going to be relocated to Sydney.

someone is a little tetchy today isn't he??? Forums are about opinions and I respect your right to think what you do. But please you have stated that you disagree with me in a previous post so why do you feel the need to start a flame war? Feeling bored are we?

Maybe the elevation of a WAFL club might bring some supporters along with it? .

Another Port Adelaide?

Maybe there are ppl who hate the current teams anyway. Who knows but I think it is simplistic to think that the ppl of WA are so stubbornly fixated on the current clubs only.

When tt was just the WCE there were still WAFL people and those whowere not sold on the Eagles.
Though it is technically possible to put forward a proposal. Most people are sold on either of the two current AFL teams. The strongest WAFL support is in the Fremantle area. There is no standout region for a new club to alaign with. Peel is still finding it's way in the WAFL.

As stated before, relocations have nothing much to do with the formation of new teams.
I don't think any team is going to be relocated to Sydney.

Note: these are only my opinion are meant for discussion only.

You seem to forget that the AFL (wrongly in my opinion) is not there just to administer the AFL competition - they are also the custodians of the game itself.

Therefore, decisions made in relation to the AFL competition should extend past "adding value to the AFL". They should also include what is good for the game of Australian Football.

And this is where the AFL has been conflicted and negligent in relation to Tasmania. They have completely ignored the benefits a Tasmanian AFL side would have on the game in that state, when it is their obligation to do so.

Mind you, it's not just the AFL who are ignorant in this regard, as your statement above (and the attitude of many others here) shows.

Just in case you didn't realise... Swans are coming first and have like 15 year low crowds...
As already mentioned:

1. Been average last few years. This year is a big surprise
2. 2 grandstands are half knocked down.

The two that I mentioned in the shire have been there for over 15 years.
How do you explain the rest of Sydney? I've driven in parts and been taken aback that there are now goalposts.

As a teacher, they don't. The only AFL player they could name would be Falou but even he doesn't get a gig and is looking likely to be back in league next year. Dunno which schools you are hanging round, but I've never heard a student say "I played some AFL today" even after we had the GWS boys came out.
No sure where I said they could name players. I did however say they don't have the same resentment towards the code as the 35+ generation.

Do you teach in The Shire? Do you know some of the primary schools have AFL teams?

Everyone knows how much it has, but what about after years of pumping hundreds of millions into it and it's still not going anywhere.
You're going to end up a bitter old man.

They would have been better off giving that money to the swans and the lions.
The Swans can't grow much more the way things are. They need the presence of other teams.

You never heard of the Melbourne Storm?
Does this somehow change the amount of League teams that have gone arse up?

You know the Storm are bankrolled by News Corp right? If they remove funding the NRL won't be able to prop them up.

Nor the super league war? Any coincidence that the swans have improved ever since the war that almost killed league? If you don't see that correlation you are a moron.
Wow. Delusional.

You must be hurting.

There will be a team in Perth, but there's no point putting a team there if no one wants it
A true reflection of your game.

1. Because news ltd sold the rights to it self. You knew news ltd owned NRL yeh? You also know they own channel 9 and fox? Gallop didn't even open it to open tender, just renewed it. The new NRL deal will be close to the AFL one, but in reality will be more because we aren't pumping 100s of millions into clubs no one wants.
Wow. Even more delusions. Did you know the initial offer was around $700k? You're kidding yourself if you think you'll get anywhere near it. Again, you're up for some disappointment, but no doubt you'll find some silly way to justify it.

2. Of course. But the NRL has always been broke and still manages to out rate AFL, even after the super league war which almost killed the sport.
Telegraph your newspaper of choice? I know every second day they tell their readers that the NRL outrates the AFL (it's owned by News Corp who have a direct stake in the NRL. Who would have thought?), but the truth is, it does. Go check your facts.

Then why do you carry on like one? You have the exact same traits: go to extreme and ridiculous lengths to rationalise that League is a bigger game than AFL, the AFL won't work in Sydney, the NRL have better ratings but the TV stations pay the AFL more, even though the NRL are broke it outrates the AFL etc etc etc..

Do you not realise you are doing the exact same thing? Do you not realise how stupid you look?

Back