State of Origin A dark day when Kiwis choose maroon or blue over black

Remove this Banner Ad

I ask again. Whats Australia done?

It's hard to take their whinging seriously after they stole Akuila Uate from Fiji.

If Konrad Hurrell makes the Kiwi team later in the year, something which I highly doubt anyway given his form, he would (once again) meet selection criteria.

Everyone wants to sook about that selection criteria, but nobody wants to do anything about it. Australia are greedy and are want to maintain dominace, New Zealand are weak and simply want to compete, while the English, well I don't know, they've played a Kiwi and a Samoan in the last few test matches, so I guess they aren't much better.

I'm all for a shortened season and a fully fledged International season, I just don't think many others are.

Agreed. England have even got an Afrikaaner in their RU side, FFS!
Their cricket team is half South African. Only the English actually think Cape Town is a part of England ;)

It's hard to take their whinging seriously after they stole Akuila Uate from Fiji.
No actually, it's the other way around. It's the Kiwis who are the ones who are hard to take seriously with all their whinging regarding Tamou and others when a good part of their national team has been born, bred and developed elsewhere.

And yeah, we stole Uate, just like you stole Hurrell and many others. Though the difference is I don't try to pretend it's right.

If Konrad Hurrell makes the Kiwi team later in the year, something which I highly doubt anyway given his form, he would (once again) meet selection criteria.
I don't understand why some people bring this up in discussions like this. No one is doubting that the foreigners the Kiwis have poached didn't fit criteria within the rules. No one is saying NZRL poached their foreigners illegally. What is being discussed is that the current rules are bullshit and even if the rules are in place the top nations shouldn't take advantage of them.

Tamou & Uate both met selection criteria didn't they? I guess that makes it right?

Everyone wants to sook about that selection criteria, but nobody wants to do anything about it. Australia are greedy and are want to maintain dominace, New Zealand are weak and simply want to compete, while the English, well I don't know, they've played a Kiwi and a Samoan in the last few test matches, so I guess they aren't much better.
Again, if you're not good enough then you're just not good enough. Please spare me this "even though we like to talk ourselves up in reality we're actually a bit sh*t and we need to poach players away from their home nations to try and keep up".

Australia is rubbish at Soccer but that doesn't mean that if we started poaching players from the likes of Spain and Brazil to be any good it would make it right, would it? People like you just flat out don't get international sport, the way it should be.

No actually, it's the other way around. It's the Kiwis who are the ones who are hard to take seriously with all their whinging regarding Tamou and others when a good part of their national team has been born, bred and developed elsewhere.

Yawn.

The parent rule is fine for International sport, although I'd happily scrap the GP rule.

And yeah, we stole Uate,

And many others.
just like you stole Hurrell and many others.

Day and date of Hurrell's Kiwi debut thanks.

I don't understand why some people bring this up in discussions like this. No one is doubting that the foreigners the Kiwis have poached didn't fit criteria within the rules. No one is saying NZRL poached their foreigners illegally. What is being discussed is that the current rules are bullshit and even if the rules are in place the top nations shouldn't take advantage of them.

Then dump SoO, shorten the NRL and Super league seasons and let the likes of Uate and Hurrell play in a full International season for their country of birth. I've already said I'd support that.

Australia is rubbish at Soccer but that doesn't mean that if we started poaching players from the likes of Spain and Brazil to be any good it would make it right, would it?

LoL

Rubbish?

You guys are ranked number 24 in the biggest game in the world. You don't need to poach from Spain and Brazil, although as we've seen, it wouldn't be above any Australian sporting code.

People like you just flat out don't get international sport, the way it should be.

*Shrugs shoulders*

This is Rugby league we're talking about. It needs looser rules to help the game grow, they just need fine tuning.

Time for the new Commission to move NOW and show some leadership in this matter. Set some strict rules and stick by them!

That's the problem, CC. It shouldn't just rest with the Australian's.

The big 3 should decide on the rules. I'm a supporter of the parent rule, but lets dump the GP one. At the end of the day, Hurrell and others like him will choose a country who actually plays test match footy. That's the real issue here.

Yawn.

The parent rule is fine for International sport, although I'd happily scrap the GP rule.
Of course you think the parent rule is fine. You'd struggled to field a side without it.

And many others.
Well you got me there. Because I've been very deceitful about the wrongdoings of the ARL haven't I?

Day and date of Hurrell's Kiwi debut thanks.
Saturday the 13th of October, 2012 or Friday the 19th of April, 2013

Lets cut through the bullsh*t here. They've poached him. The NZRL have played their hand, Hurrell has played his hand. You've poached him, you've just haven't had the opportunity to put his name down on a Kiwis team sheet yet.

Then dump SoO, shorten the NRL and Super league seasons and let the likes of Uate and Hurrell play in a full International season for their country of birth. I've already said I'd support that.
I'm sure there are other ways to grow the game rather then sending the sport broke, surely.

LoL

Rubbish?

You guys are ranked number 24 in the biggest game in the world. You don't need to poach from Spain and Brazil, although as we've seen,
Fine then, we're average, middle of the pack, not winning a world cup anytime soon.

Though I wouldn't really call the NZ Kiwis who have been in the top two nations for awhile now and have won the last world cup "weak" and "simply want to compete" would you?

it wouldn't be above any Australian sporting code.
Being a New Zealand Rugby supporter you'd know all about not being above poaching, wouldn't you?

*Shrugs shoulders*

This is Rugby league we're talking about. It needs looser rules to help the game grow, they just need fine tuning.
Why are you shrugging your shoulders? The poaching of Hoffman & Beale isn't what international sport is meant to be about. Nor is the poaching of Tamou & Uate for that matter, just in case you try pointing that out.

Saturday the 13th of October, 2012 or Friday the 19th of April, 2013

So we haven't actually poached him, you just want get your sook in early just in case. Right. Pretty consistent on your part.

Lets cut through the bullsh*t here.

Yes, lets.

According to you children of New Zealanders who don't want to play for NSW, QLD and then Australia shouldn't be allowed to play for New Zealand despite the rules of the game saying they can. Fair enough everyone's entitled to their opinion. My suggestion now is, you get off your arse and campaign for change.

I want the likes of Hurrell, Uate to play for their country of birth. You seem to agree but continue to remain negative and don't offer any suggestions on how we can achieve that without sending the game, in you guessed it, Australia broke.

You seem bitter. The Rugby World Cup win probably only made it worse as our bunch of imports beat yours. At least we have our own coach. :p

So we haven't actually poached him, you just want get your sook in early just in case. Right. Pretty consistent on your part.
Well, umm, yep you kind of actually have. When the NZRL reached out to him to see if he wanted to play for New Zealand and then got him to commit... well that right there is the part where you poached him away from Tonga.

But you're probably right. Maybe I jumped the gun. The NZRL reached out to him and got him to sign that letter of intent thing for no real reason whatsoever. When the time comes when a Kiwis test is on and Hurrell is eligible, I'm sure the NZRL's morals will kick in and they won't pick him.

Yes, lets.

According to you children of New Zealanders who don't want to play for NSW, QLD and then Australia shouldn't be allowed to play for New Zealand despite the rules of the game saying they can. Fair enough everyone's entitled to their opinion.
So what? The rules also say the Tamou is well within his rights to represent Australia after living nearly half of his life here. That hasn't stopped the whinging about that though has it.

I don't always agree with the residency rule but in my opinion it is far superior than the parent/grandparent rule. At least with the residency rule player A has at least lived some part of his life and has had some of his development in that country. While with the parent rule player B may have not even have lived a day of his life in that country but still gets to represent it. Why should the NZRL benefit from the likes of Hoffman & Beale when they've added zero to them as players and the ARL have them on the opposing side of the field when they're the ones who have put the time and money into them?

And no, if those children of New Zealanders don't want to be part of State of Origin or represent Australia, then don't. If there wasn't any parent rule and the likes of Hoffman & Beale still wanted to represent New Zealand but couldn't because they were actually Australian, well stiff sh*t. If they're really that proud of being Kiwis and wanted to represent New Zealand then go and move there and qualify through residency, oh wait they wouldn't do that would they, silly me yet they'd happily sh*t on the actual country that's given them everything.

My suggestion now is, you get off your arse and campaign for change.
But where would I start? Maybe I should start a whinging thread on the internet. Maybe that will get the ball rolling?

I want the likes of Hurrell, Uate to play for their country of birth. You seem to agree but continue to remain negative and don't offer any suggestions on how we can achieve that without sending the game, in you guessed it, Australia broke.
I actually didn't come into this thread to make suggestions on how to fix the problem, I came here to point out the hypocrisy of the Kiwi whinging regarding Tamou. But this thread was never about suggestions on how to fix the problem was it, it was a big "oh woe is us, those big mean Aussies are nicking our players!! Despite the fact we've been nicking their ones like it was a national pastime for years now" thread, wasn't it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what? The rules also say the Tamou is well within his rights to represent Australia after living nearly half of his life here. That hasn't stopped the whinging about that though has it.

Please spare us the BS, you guys are picking them for origin. Australia is an after thought.

Despite him being a NZ Maori rep, Junior Kiwi and being named in the Kiwi train on squad in 2011 you guys still felt you needed to poach another foreigner for your State of Origin series. Why? Are you really that short of decent players?

I don't always agree with the residency rule but in my opinion it is far superior than the parent/grandparent rule. At least with the residency rule player A has at least lived some part of his life and has had some of his development in that country. While with the parent rule player B may have not even have lived a day of his life in that country but still gets to represent it. Why should the NZRL benefit from the likes of Hoffman & Beale when they've added zero to them as players and the ARL have them on the opposing side of the field when they're the ones who have put the time and money into them?

And no, if those children of New Zealanders don't want to be part of State of Origin or represent Australia, then don't. If there wasn't any parent rule and the likes of Hoffman & Beale still wanted to represent New Zealand but couldn't because they were actually Australian, well stiff sh*t. If they're really that proud of being Kiwis and wanted to represent New Zealand then go and move there and qualify through residency, oh wait they wouldn't do that would they, silly me yet they'd happily sh*t on the actual country that's given them everything.

Wow. You are bitter.

The same rule applies in reverse. Australia can enjoy the same benefits as New Zealand. It's a rule where everyone is treated equal.

Odd how you support the residency rule though while bagging the chance Konrad Hurrell might play for New Zealand one day after qualifying on those grounds.

But where would I start? Maybe I should start a whinging thread on the internet. Maybe that will get the ball rolling?

Na, no need to start another one, you've done very well here.

So are you complaining about the rules or the fact that people see more prestige and honour in playing for a state in Australia than the country of NZ? The greatest spectacle in world RL is playing origin. Why don't NZ come up with some reason to make the players respect the country enough to choose it first. Instead you want the greatest accolade in many players careers to be taken out just so NZ jerseys will seem more significant.

So are you complaining about the rules or the fact that people see more prestige and honour in playing for a state in Australia than the country of NZ? The greatest spectacle in world RL is playing origin. Why don't NZ come up with some reason to make the players respect the country enough to choose it first. Instead you want the greatest accolade in many players careers to be taken out just so NZ jerseys will seem more significant.

Is there more prestige in playing for a state of Australia is the reality that it's a bigger pay day?

Does it matter?

If it is money, then NZ can either pay them more, or they can provide an option that shows the players other values besides the dollar.

Money or not, the value of playing for NZ is the issue.

Money or not, the value of playing for NZ is the issue.

No it isn't. We've got plenty of people who want to play for us. OTOH, it looks like you guys are short of Origin players.

No it isn't. We've got plenty of people who want to play for us. OTOH, it looks like you guys are short of Origin players.

So why all the whinging in this thread? Nobody is forcing them to pick one of our states over a country they could play for. They choose it because NZ clearly doesnt mean much to them.

As for coming up with money to pay your players? Why should we provide an answer for that? Isn't piggy backing off our national league enough? We give you a competition to play in, give plenty of gate revenue an also provide a league in which to develop players.

How much more do you want? Apparently the only thing left is for us to get rid of origin because it tempts kiwis away from NZ because they see it as being worth more than their country.

Please spare us the BS, you guys are picking them for origin. Australia is an after thought.

Despite him being a NZ Maori rep, Junior Kiwi and being named in the Kiwi train on squad in 2011 you guys still felt you needed to poach another foreigner for your State of Origin series. Why? Are you really that short of decent players?
You can't even admit you poached Hurrell yet you want me to admit all that? Good luck.

Wow. You are bitter.
Not quite as bitter as you though. I'm not the one who felt the need to start a thread over my issue.

The same rule applies in reverse. Australia can enjoy the same benefits as New Zealand. It's a rule where everyone is treated equal.
I never said the rule only applies to New Zealand. But even if we could get great benefit from the rule I still wouldn't want us to use it. I only want bred Australians to play for the Kangaroos.

Odd how you support the residency rule though while bagging the chance Konrad Hurrell might play for New Zealand one day after qualifying on those grounds.
I never said I was in full support of the residency rule. The only thing I said was that it sh*ts on the parent/grandparent rule in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back