if you could make a new team what would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

as a perthian (perthite? perthion? cashed up bogan?) i think that having two teams suits this city perfectly. west coast has always been a success which is why there are "too many" eagles supporters; are there also too many carlton, collingwood, essendon and richmond supporters? i dont understand why non-WCE people resent having a western based power house so much?

taking my eagles hat off i also think an addition of a 3rd team would be detrimental to freo who have only really grown out of being a joke under mark harvey and are now starting to establish themselves as a true force on the national stage (as opposed to just on derby day). in the years to come we could have a man utd v man city scale rivalry on our hands, why weaken it with the addition of another team?
It would be the limited capacity at Subu that there is 'to many' Eagles fans. If WC had a 100,000 stadium as opposed to a 40,000 capacity stadium it would be fine.

Yes, 3 teams are to many. 2 are perfect.

I think a South West team representing the Lower South West of WA would easily be viable. Base them in Mandurah but have them represent Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton, Collie etc. I'd call them SW rather than give them an actual city name as the south west tends to have some pretty big rivalries so it might be hard to get Bunbury people to support a team called the Mandurah Whatevers and vice versa.

This region is Footy Mad too so there would definitely be the support there i reckon.

State: WA
Name: South West Sharks or Stallions
Colours: No Idea. AFL is running out of colours :p

I vote either Melbourne or North Melbourne fold to keep it at 18 teams.

I think a South West team representing the Lower South West of WA would easily be viable. Base them in Mandurah but have them represent Mandurah, Bunbury, Busselton, Collie etc. I'd call them SW rather than give them an actual city name as the south west tends to have some pretty big rivalries so it might be hard to get Bunbury people to support a team called the Mandurah Whatevers and vice versa.

This region is Footy Mad too so there would definitely be the support there i reckon.

State: WA
Name: South West Sharks or Stallions
Colours: No Idea. AFL is running out of colours :p

I vote either Melbourne or North Melbourne fold to keep it at 18 teams.

Being Australia wouldnt that be the South West Brumbies??:D
Rather than being some specific suburban area, cant it just be called Perth? , Perth Brumbies or Sharks. Surely you would not want to limit your support base too much.

Being Australia wouldnt that be the South West Brumbies??:D.

No brumbies in the SW. Maybe SW Whalers.

Rather than being some specific suburban area, cant it just be called Perth? .

You could call it Perth and pitch for East of the city which would be appropiate if they ever build Burswood.
Perth demons play out of Lathlain and the SE corridor is under represented by football and the NE corridor only has Swan Districts. Very roughly the North and South are thought of of WCE and Dockers respectfully so an Eastern team might work.

Hello, hello, hello. PA were successful from day one because of their SANFL heritage.
Now it can be seen as holding them back.
That's why a EP/WP scenario probably wouldn't work longterm in Perth.
I meant in terms of growing their supporter base. Sure they had a great base to start from with their SANFL fans but they were always going to be limited in their ability to attract more fans because of their association with a club a lot of South Australians hate.

It's like if a Collingwood team joined a World Football League. I wouldn't follow them because they're an Australian team on a big stage, I would hate them because they're Collingwood.

No brumbies in the SW. Maybe SW Whalers.

You could call it Perth and pitch for East of the city which would be appropiate if they ever build Burswood.
Perth demons play out of Lathlain and the SE corridor is under represented by football and the NE corridor only has Swan Districts. Very roughly the North and South are thought of of WCE and Dockers respectfully so an Eastern team might work.

East Perth Royals are now associated with the WCE as of 2013. Same with Peel Thunder and Fremantle Dockers. In case anyone is unaware of this.

This could make my suggestion and/or an East Perth club harder to achieve.

East Perth Royals are now associated with the WCE as of 2013. Same with Peel Thunder and Fremantle Dockers. In case anyone is unaware of this.

This could make my suggestion and/or an East Perth club harder to achieve.

With three AFL teams you could have a nice 3 WAFL teams per AFL team alaignment.

Tasmanian devils (used so many times)
Colours-dark green and yellow, like under 18 side
Main location in hobart

A Tasmanian team wears green, red and yellow...more accurately, dark green, primrose and yellow...

Unlike WA and SA fans, who are pretty easy to unite against outsiders no matter what they look like, and NSW and Qld fans, who couldn't give a rat's anyway about the AFL, Tasmanians need to know from the start that their team is for all of them, and is all about their footy, which has a loooong and proud heritage...this would be one time where the state colours MUST be used...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Hobart Devils
this team would wear green and yellow
Team would play out of Bellerive with one game at North Hobart, if they fix it up.

2. Mandurah Mariners
this team would wear sky blue and black
Team playing out of an upgraded Rushton Park with big matches/finals at the new stadium and one game at Hands Oval in Bunbury.

1. Hobart Devils
this team would wear green and yellow
Team would play out of Bellerive with one game at North Hobart, if they fix it up.

2. Mandurah Mariners
this team would wear sky blue and black
Team playing out of an upgraded Rushton Park with big matches/finals at the new stadium and one game at Hands Oval in Bunbury.

Why would u alienate most of tasmania by calling their team hobart?

Why would u alienate most of tasmania by calling their team hobart?
Probably should of been more specific. In my world, Hawthorn would of created such a huge fan base in the north that only the south would be viable to host the team.

Probably should of been more specific. In my world, Hawthorn would of created such a huge fan base in the north that only the south would be viable to host the team.

I think the point of a tasmanian team is to get people who currently support a victorian team to switch to the new home team.. otherwise they will have virtually no supporters

A Tasmanian team wears green, red and yellow...more accurately, dark green, primrose and yellow...

Unlike WA and SA fans, who are pretty easy to unite against outsiders no matter what they look like, and NSW and Qld fans, who couldn't give a rat's anyway about the AFL, Tasmanians need to know from the start that their team is for all of them, and is all about their footy, which has a loooong and proud heritage...this would be one time where the state colours MUST be used...

I'm not that fussed about using the Tassie state colours per se. I do like the idea of having green in it, like black & green for instance. That, because it is not like any other club & it would look good IMO.
I do think it should be called the 'Tasmanian football club'. The team should be able to represent our 'whole of state' footy history. The Devils would appeal as a nick name, although names might do.
Representing & uniting is the important issue with its name.

I think the point of a tasmanian team is to get people who currently support a victorian team to switch to the new home team.. otherwise they will have virtually no supporters
Yeah you're right, but still they should get good support in the south.

I'm not that fussed about using the Tassie state colours per se. I do like the idea of having green in it, like black & green for instance. That, because it is not like any other club & it would look good IMO.
I do think it should be called the 'Tasmanian football club'. The team should be able to represent our 'whole of state' footy history. The Devils would appeal as a nick name, although names might do.
Representing & uniting is the important issue with its name.
I'm a bit more adamant of the colours the nickname, but on these you and me are totally in agreement...

But how many of those Queenslander's actually like AFL? Maybe 5%. Compared to the Northern Territory population which would be about 50%

I've taught in North QLD and Brisbane and been surprised by the followers up here. A lot of us are ex pats from VIC but on average in the the staff and parents/kids at the 5 schools I've taught at is about 25-30%.

Very surprising. Every school I go to has a tipping comp/footy team and people who where team polo's etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back