if you could make a new team what would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

You've misinterpreted the second, fourth and second last one, and haven't done your maths on the third last one. Enjoy the "selfish" ride - not knocking that, I wouldn't call you a worthy fan unless you did beat the chest...but don't be too disappointed when things don't grow like the AFL said it would in the brochure...bit hard to grow anything in a desert...

You've misinterpreted the second, fourth and second last one, and haven't done your maths on the third last one. Enjoy the "selfish" ride - not knocking that, I wouldn't call you a worthy fan unless you did beat the chest...but don't be too disappointed when things don't grow like the AFL said it would in the brochure...bit hard to grow anything in a desert...

Please.. Name a fan who isnt selfish? Everybody has an opinion on what is best for the code, but it never involves putting their own club on the back burner. I havent been sold anything via a brochure. I follow my local club, no brochure sold me on that. I find it amusing you class an area as large and talented as Western Sydney a desert. Kind of sounds like soure grapes. People accuse us Sydneysiders as being short on the ol attention span, and yet here your judging a club on its 1st year. In 10 years time i will accept any and all abuse if the club is a failure on and off the ground. Otherwise...

and I vote for Richmond to fold.

But there's no actual ballot is there?

I'm amazed how people can so flippantly call the death of a club with such history. Guess those people are in favour of euthanasia?

I'd go for a Tassie team and have green and brown.

Vote for who ever you like as long as it's justified.
I am in favour of the Euthanasia. They usually grow up to be really really smart adults ;)

Please.. Name a fan who isnt selfish? Everybody has an opinion on what is best for the code, but it never involves putting their own club on the back burner. I havent been sold anything via a brochure. I follow my local club, no brochure sold me on that. I find it amusing you class an area as large and talented as Western Sydney a desert. Kind of sounds like soure grapes. People accuse us Sydneysiders as being short on the ol attention span, and yet here your judging a club on its 1st year. In 10 years time i will accept any and all abuse if the club is a failure on and off the ground. Otherwise...
Backburner...I've never lived in Victoria, and membership wasn't anywhere near as big a focus as it is today, so I never thought about it at the time, but on the day I knew my team was saved after the 1996 merger vote, I signed up and did so for the next decade knowing how important my team in footy was to me. The Hawks membership went from about 12000 to 27000 in a summer. So as far as putting my club on a backburner goes, I've never done it - I instead went into battle for them. This is what you and you're team are up against, dude. I admire your chest beating (I don't mean that patronisingly, I'm deadly serious!) because if we see a whole lotta that at any GWS game, then the team has the legitimacy I'm saying Tassie would walk in with and which I'm not convinced either GWS or GC has...it's up to you guys to prove you belong and convince the rest of us by your actions! As for WS's talent base, the simple fact is you lot play rugby league and the AFL is viewed with hostility. NSW metro is still a poor producer of AFL draftees despite being the biggest state, plenty of AFL development and the longest team presence of any non-Vic city...I live here in Qld, it's better than NSW in those areas, but it's still piss poor by comparison with Tas, SA, Vic and WA...the AFL is a blip and a fad when you line it up against the southern states and throw in the NRL...even the Reds bump footy off the back page and news reports without any problem, so I'm sure the Tahs aren't any different. I'm not basing any assumption of GWS on a single year (the only thing I've said about that timespan is how I admire the way they've gone about it this year, actually), but over three decades of watching this sport as intently as any footy-mad Tasmanian would (which is A LOT!) and having seen every development of the growth of the national league in that time, there's nothing that convinces me of the worth of these expansion franchises (that's not meant to be a negative term either, despite my Macca's comment!) other than paying for everyone else via tv rights... if the AFL came clean one day and admitted that that was the primary reason, I'd give a bronx cheer and a "no kidding"...and still accept it because there's nothing wrong with that...

Vote for who ever you like as long as it's justified.
I am in favour of the Euthanasia. They usually grow up to be really really smart adults ;)

My previous comment about voting Richmond was in response to a previous Tiges supporter.

I would hate to see Richmond or anyother team fold!!!!!

And do you know why AFL football is viewed with such hostility? Its because it is seen as 'The Victorian game', not as the Australian game. I've said it b4, the actions of the AFL show it to be a child of the VFL. The fact that SA & WA are major natural footy states doesnt make any difference. The fact that Tassie is cut off from having an AFL club just shows the Vic centric nature of the beast.
Ever while the AFL keep hanging on to so many suburban VFL teams who really dont offer much to a so called national competition then the negativity in the north of the country will persist. The media will continue to use that againt the AFL.
Certainly the GWS is an offspring of the AFL , but at least it was born in Sydney & not a transplanted VFL team. It has some bona fides (street cred if you like) in Western Sydney.
I think that gives it the right to be cut some slack & given ago & time to develop its own club culture. Its a war up their, make no mistake. GWS is the front line.
But still I say, Give us a team Vlad, you bastard. Its killing us:( .

And do you know why AFL football is viewed with such hostility? Its because it is seen as 'The Victorian game', not as the Australian game. I've said it b4, the actions of the AFL show it to be a child of the VFL. The fact that SA & WA are major natural footy states doesnt make any difference. The fact that Tassie is cut off from having an AFL club just shows the Vic centric nature of the beast.
Ever while the AFL keep hanging on to so many suburban VFL teams who really dont offer much to a so called national competition then the negativity in the north of the country will persist. The media will continue to use that againt the AFL.
Certainly the GWS is an offspring of the AFL , but at least it was born in Sydney & not a transplanted VFL team. It has some bona fides (street cred if you like) in Western Sydney.
I think that gives it the right to be cut some slack & given ago & time to develop its own club culture. Its a war up their, make no mistake. GWS is the front line.
But still I say, Give us a team Vlad, you bastard. Its killing us:( .

AFL is viewed with hostility because RL supporters are scared it is going to overtake their sport as number 1 in sydney.. fear turns to hate. Has nothing to do with what you said. the NRL is seen as a NSW sport, doesn't mean people from the south hate it because of that.

Tasmania doesn't have a team for many reasons previously expressed in this thread, not because of anything to do with victoria. The AFL is also far more national than the NRL.

All of your posts are just anti-victoria and hardly ever give solid pro-tasmania arguments. It is so obvious you harbor envy and hate towards victoria

AFL is viewed with hostility because RL supporters are scared it is going to overtake their sport as number 1 in sydney.. fear turns to hate. Has nothing to do with what you said. the NRL is seen as a NSW sport, doesn't mean people from the south hate it because of that.

Tasmania doesn't have a team for many reasons previously expressed in this thread, not because of anything to do with victoria. The AFL is also far more national than the NRL.

All of your posts are just anti-victoria and hardly ever give solid pro-tasmania arguments. It is so obvious you harbor envy and hate towards victoria

Having worked & lived in Melbourne, Sydney & Bribane over a lot of years I think I have good reason to post my comments.
You really havent taken any real notice of what Ive said over the past few years anyway. You are happy to keep the near monopoly on the game that the old VFL cliche represents.
I'm not anti Victoria per se, I'm anti the VFL centric AFL.

Backburner...I've never lived in Victoria, and membership wasn't anywhere near as big a focus as it is today, so I never thought about it at the time, but on the day I knew my team was saved after the 1996 merger vote, I signed up and did so for the next decade knowing how important my team in footy was to me. The Hawks membership went from about 12000 to 27000 in a summer. So as far as putting my club on a backburner goes, I've never done it - I instead went into battle for them. This is what you and you're team are up against, dude. I admire your chest beating (I don't mean that patronisingly, I'm deadly serious!) because if we see a whole lotta that at any GWS game, then the team has the legitimacy I'm saying Tassie would walk in with and which I'm not convinced either GWS or GC has...it's up to you guys to prove you belong and convince the rest of us by your actions! As for WS's talent base, the simple fact is you lot play rugby league and the AFL is viewed with hostility. NSW metro is still a poor producer of AFL draftees despite being the biggest state, plenty of AFL development and the longest team presence of any non-Vic city...I live here in Qld, it's better than NSW in those areas, but it's still piss poor by comparison with Tas, SA, Vic and WA...the AFL is a blip and a fad when you line it up against the southern states and throw in the NRL...even the Reds bump footy off the back page and news reports without any problem, so I'm sure the Tahs aren't any different. I'm not basing any assumption of GWS on a single year (the only thing I've said about that timespan is how I admire the way they've gone about it this year, actually), but over three decades of watching this sport as intently as any footy-mad Tasmanian would (which is A LOT!) and having seen every development of the growth of the national league in that time, there's nothing that convinces me of the worth of these expansion franchises (that's not meant to be a negative term either, despite my Macca's comment!) other than paying for everyone else via tv rights... if the AFL came clean one day and admitted that that was the primary reason, I'd give a bronx cheer and a "no kidding"...and still accept it because there's nothing wrong with that...

And in all this, in our 1st year in "hostile" territory we have more members and crowds than most of our NRL brothers. The Sydney media is getting better and broader with their acceptance of all the codes, though NRL is still their baby.

As i said, they have said it, along with broadening the base is their primary reason for going to Western Sydney rather than Tassie. And Im sure that the next time the comp exspands then Tassie and Canberra will get their own franchises.

I know im not going to convince you otherwise and to be honest doesnt concern me if I dont. I do KNOW the club is growing, we have more members now than at the same time last year, and our club is known in the area, well known. So to me it shows everything is going in the right direction.

Will the club grow to the point where it can rival Melbourne or North in all of these areas...? Will it ever balance its books the same way, with AFL assistance of a moderate nature compared to the massive underwriting going on now? You want to know what else the AFL said? "$100m over ten years or whatever it takes" - directly stating they would keep propping up the two new franchises for this amount EACH knowing full well that $200m over a decade is a pretty good investment for a rise in tv rights of about $1b dollars...who else has or will ever get this level of help. There's a reason why these two teams are being helped out like this, and it's because of the tv revenue they can bring in despite the hostile comditions they face trying to establish themselves...

This has nothing to do with any glorious expansion into new frontiers or base broadening, and is a simple but dramatic cash flow expansion. Again, I don't have a problem with this, because this is how we pay for footy in 2012. But don't live in denial over exactly where these teams fit into the grand scheme of things. Seriously, does anyone really think the NRL will be supplanted by the AFL in WS...? It's crazy talk on a par with the "smell the fear" crap the soccerheads all amused us with in 2005 when the socceroos got into the WC finals on the back of the new A-League, which was supposed to blow both the AFL and NRL out of the water...like Dexy's Midnight Runners, we hadn't heard the last of them...

It's a pair of mutually exclusive choices, and the AFL has gone one way with a financial strategy while a substantial amount of the footy public would prefer another based upon 150 years of footy history...unfortunately, Tasmania doesn't pay the bills...

Will the club grow to the point where it can rival Melbourne or North in all of these areas...? Will it ever balance its books the same way, with AFL assistance of a moderate nature compared to the massive underwriting going on now? You want to know what else the AFL said? "$100m over ten years or whatever it takes" - directly stating they would keep propping up the two new franchises for this amount EACH knowing full well that $200m over a decade is a pretty good investment for a rise in tv rights of about $1b dollars...who else has or will ever get this level of help. There's a reason why these two teams are being helped out like this, and it's because of the tv revenue they can bring in despite the hostile comditions they face trying to establish themselves...

This has nothing to do with any glorious expansion into new frontiers or base broadening, and is a simple but dramatic cash flow expansion. Again, I don't have a problem with this, because this is how we pay for footy in 2012. But don't live in denial over exactly where these teams fit into the grand scheme of things. Seriously, does anyone really think the NRL will be supplanted by the AFL in WS...? It's crazy talk on a par with the "smell the fear" crap the soccerheads all amused us with in 2005 when the socceroos got into the WC finals on the back of the new A-League, which was supposed to blow both the AFL and NRL out of the water...like Dexy's Midnight Runners, we hadn't heard the last of them...

It's a pair of mutually exclusive choices, and the AFL has gone one way with a financial strategy while a substantial amount of the footy public would prefer another based upon 150 years of footy history...unfortunately, Tasmania doesn't pay the bills...

Noone wants GWS to take over sydney, just get an average crowd of 20k and 20k members and the AFL/AFL community will be happy, from there in 30-40 years time we will have a club with a very healthy following

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohh for the love of.....:rolleyes:

Ok, no one has said AFL will take over the NRL as the leading comp in Sydney. But we, both the Swans and Giants can end up carving out our own niche in the city.

And to correct you on one point, they have gone the way of financial strategy and growth compared to 150 years of tradition or whatever it is. I dont class it as unfortunate.

Criticism of Victoria, holding an independent view of Aussie footy nationwide is regularly described by some like Blaze as a hate towards Victoria - what self serving tripe !!!

Get out a bit & try to understand others point of view - when you put the future of Vic footy above the game nationally, you may have a problem with the views of many of us.

Ohh for the love of.....:rolleyes:

Ok, no one has said AFL will take over the NRL as the leading comp in Sydney. But we, both the Swans and Giants can end up carving out our own niche in the city.

And to correct you on one point, they have gone the way of financial strategy and growth compared to 150 years of tradition or whatever it is. I dont class it as unfortunate.
What do you mean corrected? That's been my point the whole time! If you can't class that as unfortunate from the Tasmanian point of view, if you can't understand that, then you don't understand why people watch this game in the first place...the stupid icons of supposed frustration you put at the beginning of every post really should be directed at you, bud...comprehension is not your strong point...you also need to bone up on your footy history...

And yes, there are several quotes back there that do explicitely say the NRL is scared they'll be taken over by the AFL, which of course is bollocks...

You say carving your own niche...yeah, that's pretty obvious...what you're not recognising is the degree of difficulty to this, the enormous financial help they're getting, and the outside perception that asks why have we gone to GWS...you might not care about other's opinions, and I say good for you - if GWS and its supporters can't strut with a bit of arrogance, then they'll never match it with the big boys - but don't be blinkered.

You want respect, you bother to answer small comments in the first place like mine, which started all this, where I said "empty seats at Skoda stadium", then don't give us a nyah nyah attitude and tell us it's your birthright! The cynicism to expansion is quite solid, and long time supporters of footy need to be convinced the direction footy is going will be good...you only need to read BF anywhere to know there's dissatisfaction in many areas of the AFL...

Noone wants GWS to take over sydney, just get an average crowd of 20k and 20k members and the AFL/AFL community will be happy, from there in 30-40 years time we will have a club with a very healthy following
The AFL community won't be happy unless GWS continues to be a lynchpin of tv income, or something else that justifies the enormous expense going into their establishment. Not saying they won't, just saying they'll find it very very difficult...and if teams like North and Melbourne are continually under fire for recording the odd million dollar deficit while still getting bigger crowds and membership, then GWS will need that self sufficiency reasonably quickly...will we see drastic measures on the scale of the Swans $1 buyback in the 90's, will we see an end to the Lions constant money worries which were prevalent even when they won three in a row...?

Gibber come on, surely you arent talking about the AFL insiders wanting returns by any measure in the 1st 10 years.
The on field success of the Lions or the Swans is not reflected in the numbers in the way the Pies, Crows or Eagles are.
Sydney & the non traditional states clubs are more about 2030.

Subsidies for Melbourne clubs are driven by vested interests, currently on a media deal by media deal basis, nothing long term at all.

Gibber come on, surely you arent talking about the AFL insiders wanting returns by any measure in the 1st 10 years.
The on field success of the Lions or the Swans is not reflected in the numbers in the way the Pies, Crows or Eagles are.
Sydney & the non traditional states clubs are more about 2030.

Subsidies for Melbourne clubs are driven by vested interests, currently on a media deal by media deal basis, nothing long term at all.
You're kidding me...you seriously think that the Swans and the Bears, who have been in their present form and club structure, ignoring the merger, since the early 90's, are waiting until 2030 to "ripen"...? 2030 is 18 years away...the AFL wants the other two newbies ready to win a flag in five and are prepared to pay for the first ten...another 8 and you've got plenty of time to squeeze in an Edelsten or Pelerman type type fiasco to send this grand plan back to square one...and what the hell is a "vested interest"...? You almost sounded rational until you added that last sentence...coming from a supporter of the most corporately driven team in the AFL...and right now, the team that used to be the threepeat Lions are struggling with crowds after averaging 35000 when they were winners, and can't pay the bills yet again...a win's a win, and right now in Brisbane the Lions are losers...

On a related note, I am getting a gut feeling that like the property market, the AFL could be headed for the bust after the boom...there are things happening in attendances, tv station viability and supporter interest that could be a concern...we might very well see your wish of a few Melbourne teams getting the arse regardless of what anyone has ever said on BF, but it might also be at the expense of some interstaters in their current form...

Tasmania Devils
It just sounds so...right...

I'd get to barrack for my two teams in the only sports which matter, named after the two state icons...the Tigers in the cricket and the Devils in the AFL...it's just like the perfect symmetry that you'd only find in a snowflake, or on the chest of a lingerie model...

You're kidding me...you seriously think that the Swans and the Bears, who have been in their present form and club structure, ignoring the merger, since the early 90's, are waiting until 2030 to "ripen"...? 2030 is 18 years away...the AFL wants the other two newbies ready to win a flag in five and are prepared to pay for the first ten...another 8 and you've got plenty of time to squeeze in an Edelsten or Pelerman type type fiasco to send this grand plan back to square one...and what the hell is a "vested interest"...? You almost sounded rational until you added that last sentence...coming from a supporter of the most corporately driven team in the AFL...and right now, the team that used to be the threepeat Lions are struggling with crowds after averaging 35000 when they were winners, and can't pay the bills yet again...a win's a win, and right now in Brisbane the Lions are losers...

On a related note, I am getting a gut feeling that like the property market, the AFL could be headed for the bust after the boom...there are things happening in attendances, tv station viability and supporter interest that could be a concern...we might very well see your wish of a few Melbourne teams getting the arse regardless of what anyone has ever said on BF, but it might also be at the expense of some interstaters in their current form...

2030 & those clubs would be aiming for genuine financial independence, no longer propped up one way or another by Head Office. I'd expect they will get their turn at on field success.

Private ownership: not attactive for our game.

I do agree it will be interesting where the media coverage goes, & it will effect developing clubs more than the current big clubs.

2030 & those clubs would be aiming for genuine financial independence, no longer propped up one way or another by Head Office. I'd expect they will get their turn at on field success.

Private ownership: not attactive for our game.

I do agree it will be interesting where the media coverage goes, & it will effect developing clubs more than the current big clubs.

Viability is a big issue for the AFL & clubs. Judging what makes the northern team viable or successful may not be that obvious. Footy heads look at crowds & games won. Maybe the league looks as much at what they add to the TV rights deals & participation rates & draft picks.
I believe that without the expansion clubs the AFL would be vulnerable to the growth of soccer & RL over the longer term.
Its a hard balancing act for the AFL. The financial balancing could well be upset with a prolonged economic down turn.
If so, some of the smaller struggling VFL clubs will come under ever increasing pressure. The northern clubs are too important to the TV rights & future strength of the game to let go of.
Of course I could be wrong :p

I'm talking about real sports... ;)

But with 62% (roughly) of the country, how could it be considered national?

62% of the country? How on Earth do you arrive at that statistic.

MOre than 95% of Australia's population would be covered by an AFL team in their State at a complete guess - that is fairly good coverage I would have thought! Certainly better than the NBA/NRL/NFL/NHL/MLB for instance!

Not entirely accurate, but you're in the ball park...

I've been watching this sport since the 1970's, and there is one constant- established rivalries are the driving interest in this sport. The worst games for attracting interest and attendance are Vic home games v interstaters, and any game in NSW or Qld if the home team isn't a direct premiership contender. You speak of sporting champions from WS - name me an AFL star born and bred in this area. The area is a statistic, a carrot for bean counters, but it has contributed absolutely nothing in 150 years of this sport - nothing! And yet AD tells us that GWS "deserves a team"...direct quote. 150 years of Tasmanian footy history, standing as one of the Big 4 footy states which has only diminished recently, over 300 senior VFL/AFL players and shitloads of Brownlow medallists from a state with a population a small fraction of the disinterested suburban sprawl that is GWS...are you still wondering why this pisses us off so much...!

Don't get me wrong - I said it before - I genuinely admire the way the expansion franchises have gone about their business, and on game day, I do what all footy fans do and sit down and barrack for the underdog against teams I despise (read: GWS/GC v anyone not Hawthorn from the old VFL), but don't get naively sucked in by the AFL's public standpoint. These teams are there because they attract the tv rights dollar, and make a gigantic sale possible with a local game in every state every week usually at the same timeslot. They aren't going to tell you that - they instead talk about "growth", "spreading the gospel"...the real fact is that your team enables Seven in Sydney to sell advertising space during the AFL telecast at a reasonable price because they can guarantee a local and therefore better watched product (not Origin level, but it doesn't have to be, just steady during a dead ratings timeslot on the weekend, functioning in NSW/Qld while they pump the absolute f### out of it in WA/SA/Vic)...I could add another 1000 words to this and tell you all about Qld's tv coverage since about 2006, and then you'll see exactly how how and why expansion has worked...because of this, you can sell these rights for over a billion and prop up all the clubs, which is and has been the entire point of an AFL all along...it's the only value of a "developing state" expansion franchise, they add nothing else, and the only thing Tasmania can't deliver...

Lenny Hayes born and bred in Western Sydney. Pennant Hills is in the GWS catchment is it not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back