Best regional city (non-capital) in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather be a 2.5 hour drive from the coast and earn a decent wage than live in bunbury constantly with all the nimrods.

Whatever floats your boat.

I personally love it here, but that's because I've grown up here and hang around those who aren't "nimrods". I understand how by travelling through you do get the impression that alot of people here are bogans, but you get that wherever you go really. You take the good with the bad.

You couldn't pay me to live in Kalgoorlie though. I've stayed there a week before and had by car broken into outside a hotel first night. And atleast here you can go to the beach if you're bored, in Kalgoorlie you can visit the mine or look at dirt.

Whatever floats your boat.

I personally love it here, but that's because I've grown up here and hang around those who aren't "nimrods". I understand how by travelling through you do get the impression that alot of people here are bogans, but you get that wherever you go really. You take the good with the bad.

You couldn't pay me to live in Kalgoorlie though. I've stayed there a week before and had by car broken into outside a hotel first night. And atleast here you can go to the beach if you're bored, in Kalgoorlie you can visit the mine or look at dirt.
Living an hour or less from a capital city isn't so regional, wouldn't surprise me if it ends up a suburb of perth.

Living by the beach where on earth would you go for a holiday, to kalgoorlie like you did?

Living an hour or less from a capital city isn't so regional, wouldn't surprise me if it ends up a suburb of perth.

Living by the beach where on earth would you go for a holiday, to kalgoorlie like you did?

Bunbury you mean? It depends I guess. We're still almost 2 hours away so it will be a very long time before we become a suburb of Perth IMO.

Had to go to Kalgoorlie because I have relatives there (that's how I know it's as bad as it is haha). Holidays usually consist of going down south to Augusta, Yallingup, that type of area. Fishing, boating, etc.

Bunbury you mean? It depends I guess. We're still almost 2 hours away so it will be a very long time before we become a suburb of Perth IMO.

Had to go to Kalgoorlie because I have relatives there (that's how I know it's as bad as it is haha). Holidays usually consist of going down south to Augusta, Yallingup, that type of area. Fishing, boating, etc.
All i was getting at is Bunbury is very close to Perth and you can go fishing/boating any weekend you like, you wouldn't really need to go on a holiday if you live there.

All i was getting at is Bunbury is very close to Perth and you can go fishing/boating any weekend you like, you wouldn't really need to go on a holiday if you live there.
But it's not a very pretty place. At all. The beaches are pretty awful.

If you want scenery and nice beaches, and that's what people from Perth do want on their weeks away, then you should go up north or down south.

Kalgoorlie 2.5 hours from the coast? Bunbury an hour or less from Perth?

Did we get flying cars when I wasn't looking?
Drive from Kalgoorlie - Esperance less than 3 hours, Bunbury - Mandurah/Rockingham an hour or less.. easy, north or south Perth is still Perth. I don't think Bunbury is far enough away to call it regional.

Drive from Kalgoorlie - Esperance less than 3 hours, Bunbury - Mandurah/Rockingham an hour or less.. easy, north or south Perth is still Perth. I don't think Bunbury is far enough away to call it regional.
No, it's absolutely regional. Even Mandurah isn't considered metro for everything. There are laws, regulations, politics, and general perspectives in which Peel isn't counted. I've never heard anyone or anything say Bunbury is anything but a regional centre.

Do you live in WA?

Kalgoorlie to Esperance is nigh on 400km. You must have a fast car.

Mandurah isn't Perth, but if you class Perth as everything from Yanchep to Mandurah then you can't claim Bunbury is an hour away.

If I lived in Yanchep (I don't, thank Christ) then Bunbury certainly wouldn't be an hour away. Someone in Albany could drive to Denmark or Mt Barker quicker than someone at one end of greater Perth could drive to to the other.

No, it's absolutely regional. Even Mandurah isn't considered metro for everything. There are laws, regulations, politics, and general perspectives in which Peel isn't counted. I've never heard anyone or anything say Bunbury is anything but a regional centre.

Do you live in WA?
Kambalda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are you trollin?

Lived in Newcastle its horrible,a bit like a big Gladstone but with safer fishing but more broken shop windows and groups of bogans doing burnouts
I could live in Townsville,Airley,Bowen or Cairns

Not really trolling but not really serious either. I like living here. It's the fastest growing regional city in Australia. My only complaint is that the infrastructure hasn't kept up with the growth. Our biggest shopping centre has about twenty shops. For a city of 60,000 that's pathetic.

I lived in Bowen for a year. Shithole. I can see myself moving to either Townsville or Cairns sometime in the future.

Regional Australia is balls , let's be honest . Am I right , guys?

But in all seriousness , bit biased ,but my vote goes to my little town of Brisbane . Small town , but we have some of the infrastructure you'd expect from a city - bridges , tunnels , bridges,tunnels , and so on.
Lots of attractions -SouthBank;a park with a "man-made beach" (pool with sand next to it, full of semen") , the Valley ; highly recommended if you want to be physically assaulted in the face by some Kent with pointy shoes and a v-neck shirt, and probably our biggest selling point - the sun , which you can definitely see from Brisbane , it's just a pity it gets so hot that every time you sit down , your penis ,scrotum and nearest leg, morph in to one big sticky organ .

My favourite is Port Lincoln. The only thing it doesn't offer is snow (but give climate change enough time and it will)

It really is, on so many levels, the edge of the world. Some posters will know what I mean by that. What this town doesn't have, you can easily drive to. Some real people still.

If you thought tombstone was a wild place during Wyatt earp's day, meh...That was a convent compared to this ol town in its glory years as a Tuna port. it has a history. also the first time whites invaded, they were pushed back into the sea by the sovereign owners.

Amazing surfing, amazing cliffs,amazing southern ocean, amazing wildlife, amazing dunes and mountains, amazing drives. Coffin bay 46 clicks up the road, is the jewel in the crown. Its where pirates would of lurked in another dimension.

Maleny in QLD is a really nice place. farming in the mountains, fog, cool, views, cows. awesome place.

Glasshouse-mountains.jpg

i've got numerous friends from up in newcastle and having been back a couple of times in 2012 the place is really hurting now. they've all pretty much moved down to sydney. walk through town centre and just about every second shop is closed down. i'm not really sure what happened.

when i first started hanging around these guys about 4 years ago the place was a great place to go and visit.

wollongong has copped it too. was there for a mate playing a gig mid year and same deal - just about every second shop boarded up. people with no jobs.

both towns are very picturesque and it's a bit of a shame really.

bathurst sounds like hole, probably is a hole in reality, but if you're in you're early 20's and wanna have a good time, it is (at least it was 2006-2009, incidentally where i met my newcastle friends) as good as university town as you could hope for. having a campus that was heavily focused on teaching, dramatic arts and nursing (i.e. female dominate pursuits) was a massive bonus. the place is loose as ****, booze is cheap and there was pub nights every night of the week.
having visited or lived in nearly every town on the eastern side of the country, newcastle is easily the most depressing s**t hole i have ever been to the south side of the town up on the hills is oookay at best but the north side makes rock hampton look like a posh up market town,

are you trollin?

Lived in Newcastle its horrible,a bit like a big Gladstone but with safer fishing but more broken shop windows and groups of bogans doing burnouts
I could live in Townsville,Airley,Bowen or Cairns

airley is nice to visit but the scenery wears off after a week, beatyful beaches to look at but nothing but swamps filled with sting ray and box jelly fish, quite similar to cairns or townsville. but all 3 towns have something in common is great nite life & backpackers:) ;large tourism towns,

Indeed, makes a good day trip. On a clear day it's one of the best views

yeah its be beautiful, my better half has grand parents who life up there, so i get to make quite a few trips up there with her, its nice to visit but to live there is another thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back