Food, Drink & Dining Out I regularly defend Perth, but ???????

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim, I'm on the Upper East Side this morning ... the writer was either yanking your chain or is a dribbling idiot ...

Perth's got the odd good thing going for it, as should any super wealthy, super expensive city but you can throw as many events on as you want, you can't create a soul and a real vibe from a place so overburdened with shallow, narrow minded, materialistic bogans ....

We now rent more external culture than we did; we have a few more "cool" bars but the bar scene is held back by insane costs/prices and by a culture that's been touched on of insular people with a largely suburban shallow mindset that holds back anything truly vibrant and interesting ...

Pointing at people who come back to a place for a week here and there or come on
Holiday for 10 days as proof of a changed culture is nonsense...

I'm back every month. I've been to the nice bars that sit largely empty outside a very narrow hour range and that rarely contain decent service, particularly as regards quantity if staff and then they charge you more than upper east side prices ...

But sure there's some stuff on. Mostly brought in from places with culture ....

Eagle 87 post about Perth.

Bogans - tick
Shallow - tick
Narrow minded - tick
Insane cost - tick

Ticks all the boxes.

If everybody in Perth was a glass half full, nothing would improve. The improvement in Perth is substantial and exponential. Constructive criticism is fine and Perth needs it to improve, but constant carping from a negative view point says more about you than a place that is on the move.

Bogans - tick
Shallow - tick
Narrow minded - tick
Insane cost - tick

Ticks all the boxes.

If everybody in Perth was a glass half full, nothing would improve. The improvement in Perth is substantial and exponential. Constructive criticism is fine and Perth needs it to improve, but constant carping from a negative view point says more about you than a place that is on the move.

I could throw the same tick box approach back at you.

It's the sort of counter argument that anti intellectual golums love...

The same sort of people likely think Perths improvement is substantial & exponential ... oh wait ...

I've lived there at least as long as you Jim. I travel more. I visit, live and stay in more places than you.

Perth's ok. But the argument that it's not a cultural backwater isn't sustainable. The fact that it runs some events and has some cool things doesn't alter the fact that "art" is a non consideration for 99.9% of its population and that cool pubs are frequented by lawyers far more than anyone actually cool ....

Because they can afford them ...

You can bang on about the positives, that's fine ... but when you elevate Perth to something akin to Melbourne or heaven forbid almost any decent European city you are kidding yourself ... and it's fun to tell you :)

Reading 2 pages of this has just reignited the idea of moving East :)

Bogans - tick
Shallow - tick
Narrow minded - tick
Insane cost - tick

Ticks all the boxes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/05/mate-perth-is-not-a-hipster-city

Mate, Perth is not a hipster city

The New York Times got it wrong: despite some recent progress, Perth remains a frustratingly conservative, culturally-starved, unaffordable backwater city

Bogans - tick
Shallow - tick
Narrow minded - tick
Insane cost - tick

Ticks all the boxes.

The faux lanes they have created off St Georges Terrace are great - I have just been there for a trial (which went ******* terribly badly) - forgot how many young good looking rich people there where in my home town -(most of them are disturbing right wing too) its like a eugenics lab or something!!!

Last edited:
I could throw the same tick box approach back at you.

It's the sort of counter argument that anti intellectual golums love...

The same sort of people likely think Perths improvement is substantial & exponential ... oh wait ...

I've lived there at least as long as you Jim. I travel more. I visit, live and stay in more places than you.

Perth's ok. But the argument that it's not a cultural backwater isn't sustainable. The fact that it runs some events and has some cool things doesn't alter the fact that "art" is a non consideration for 99.9% of its population and that cool pubs are frequented by lawyers far more than anyone actually cool ....

Because they can afford them ...

You can bang on about the positives, that's fine ... but when you elevate Perth to something akin to Melbourne or heaven forbid almost any decent European city you are kidding yourself ... and it's fun to tell you :)

Eagle - [how are you by the way] its a bit like generalising about particular races or suburbs - there are some gems amongst the s**t there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagle - [how are you by the way] its a bit like generalising about particular races or suburbs - there are some gems amongst the s**t there

All good thanks! Flying back to Perth for a week tonight

Perth has it's redeeming features but arguing it's somehow hipster Central and kinda cool and edgy seemed a very very long bow ...

All good thanks! Flying back to Perth for a week tonight

Perth has it's redeeming features but arguing it's somehow hipster Central and kinda cool and edgy seemed a very very long bow ...

Yeh edgy is not something I would call it! Mind you I caught a train from Midland station while I was there - I definately felt edgy there!!!!

Yeh edgy is not something I would call it! Mind you I caught a train from Midland station while I was there - I definately felt edgy there!!!!

Lol...

Actually the other thread on bogans may be enlightened by folks catching trains to Midland and Armadale and then just hanging out there in evenings ....

Lol...

Actually the other thread on bogans may be enlightened by folks catching trains to Midland and Armadale and then just hanging out there in evenings ....
All the things I loved when I lived there which could not be reproduced over East - the Shenton Park Hotel, The Raffles like it used to be, The Roma Restaraunt in Freo, the Sarah Sands, getting shitfaced on mulled wine at the Stoned Crow in Freo while listening to Billy Bragg live - they are all either entirely different or gone.

Its a temporary sculpture for the Sculptures by the Sea event. Theres always some controversial or attention grabbing sculpture to get publicity

Its a temporary sculpture for the Sculptures by the Sea event. Theres always some controversial or attention grabbing sculpture to get publicity

It's offensive to Perthonians... A massive goon cask sculpture - the "artist" is clearly taking the piss out of perthonians and calling them bogans... disgrace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back