Food, Drink & Dining Out I regularly defend Perth, but ???????

Remove this Banner Ad

Every time I go to the footy, there's always some a-hole complaining about Perth Arena. When the train comes past, some conservative idiot will pipe up with "jeeez, I dunno about all those angles!" I personally see no issue with the design of the building. It's interesting and it's not some bland, concrete slab like many people want it to be. And even if you hated the design, shouldn't you be happy that Perth has something world class? Ugh.

It's personal preference whether or not you like the aesthetics of the design. As a venue I'll be judging it on how much it costs, how good the facilities are as a spectator for various events and how easy it is to get to and from. FWIW I don't mind the look of it, but the proof of the pudding will be the function rather than the form.

I'm a huge critic of the Arena project because it's so far over schedule and budget. For $550m and 5 years the people of WA should have a lot more to show for it than a 15,000 seat indoor stadium - regardless of how 'World class' it may be.

It's personal preference whether or not you like the aesthetics of the design. As a venue I'll be judging it on how much it costs, how good the facilities are as a spectator for various events and how easy it is to get to and from. FWIW I don't mind the look of it, but the proof of the pudding will be the function rather than the form.

I'm a huge critic of the Arena project because it's so far over schedule and budget. For $550m and 5 years the people of WA should have a lot more to show for it than a 15,000 seat indoor stadium - regardless of how 'World class' it may be.

The project as a whole was a flub, however I am pleased with how the project was rescued.

As the cladding goes onto the building the appearance is definitely improving as well. From what I can tell it looks like the function should be pretty top notch. Planning to get entry-level Wildcats membership so I have an excuse to get out and about in the city and to experience the new arena, so here's hoping.

Bringing the Wildcats membership base out of Challenge and into the city centre for their ~10 friday night games can't help but improve the viability of the entertainment precinct.

I know what you mean but the ways you can exploit low-class labour over there is obscene. Even Indian immigrants over here playing rort-the-hairdressing-academy-for-a-visa ending up in low-paid work are still getting various award rates and still have legal recourse. If you're Jose the Mexican who snuck over the Rio Grande with no green card, no papers, having to dodge ICE...

Some of the stuff going on make me feel like I've stepped onto the set of a particularly grim adaptation of Oliver Twist. :eek:

All these people against immigration - tell me who exactly would wipe your s**t off the toilet seat, collect the trolley you left by your hideous fluro ute/F250, sell you your winnie blues at the servo, clean the jizz stains off your bedsheets in your donga or drive your sorry broke lonely arse home after a night on the piss if they werent here to do it? No respect for them. They make our economy tick. Sick of the racism.

All these people against immigration - tell me who exactly would wipe your s**t off the toilet seat, collect the trolley you left by your hideous fluro ute/F250, sell you your winnie blues at the servo, clean the jizz stains off your bedsheets in your donga or drive your sorry broke lonely arse home after a night on the piss if they werent here to do it? No respect for them. They make our economy tick. Sick of the racism.
Just clarifying I neither hold anything against nor wish to prevent the arrival of the immigrants I refer to, simply pointing out the different economic environment in which recent or unauthorised arrivals find themselves between the US and here. However much it causes things to be more expensive and however much injustice is in our system as it stands, I prefer the way we do things here to how it is there.

And just to be clear, their role in making the economy tick as you point out, is to effectively be the lubricant that gets squished between the cogs.

anyone defending Perth is a clueless muppet. Just let it go and move to another city or you will just be driven crazy.

Bump !

Saw a write up about Perth in the New York Times. Perth does appear to be moving in the right direction :thumbsu:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/travel/catching-perths-wave-in-western-australia.html?_r=0

The capital of Western Australia, where some 1.8 of the state’s two million residents live, left this New Yorker mesmerized: Could a city really be so easy, breezy, green and pristine — so positively livable? I’d thought Williamsburg was hipster heaven; it pales beside Perth.

The British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver just opened an Italian restaurant in the business district, but the most stylish hangouts, located in alleyways once used for garbage, emphasize urbane grit. They bear names like Bobèche and Toastface Grillah, and devote page after page to elaborate cocktails. Ever since the city created a special liquor license for them in 2005, small bars — usually also peddling small bites — have proliferated; you can spend practically every night in a different bar that, a century ago, was something else: a technical school (Bar Lafayette), a rag factory (1907), a cottage (the Old Crow), a residence and stable (the Stables Bar).

A fast ferry carried me to South Perth to wander along the Swan River, where black swans glide. I went north to the Subiaco neighborhood, known for its funky Sunday market. Several short subway stops away was Mount Lawley, where I found a community radio station, vintage shops and a popular comedy night at the Brisbane Hotel, exuding East Los Angeles-style cool. The nearby town of Fremantle, meanwhile, felt like an Australian version of South Street Seaport. It is packed with 19th-century buildings, organic restaurants and coffee shops. At the Fremantle Prison, built in the 1850s and now a fascinating museum, I was stunned by the Aboriginal art gallery, with its vibrant paintings and murals, many depicting the racist legacy of Australia’s criminal justice system. Later I watched the sun set while listening to a jazz trio at Little Creatures, a warehouse of a microbrewery where, amid the nooks and crannies, there’s a sandy beer garden and magnificent outdoor terrace.

Before leaving, I took two short day trips to Perth’s neighboring mini-worlds. Historic Swan Valley — not in fact a valley but a charming 20-mile loop — is the closest wine district to any Australian capital. There are century-old heritage buildings, along with worthy Aboriginal sites, but the primary attraction is worth signing onto a bus tour for: 41 boutique wineries, five microbreweries, two distilleries, even two chocolate factories, good for staving off a hangover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JimDocker that article has copped a lot – and so it should. Perth is a nice place but that is complete hyperbole. Tourists love the place but aside from Joondalup poms and migrants leaving a country where they can't vote, most people would realise they'd made a mistake by moving there. It's boring. Not enough goes on. There aren't even that many good bars, and if there are, you'll be hamstrung by the price that going out might only be a fortnightly thing.

I want Perth to be a great city. The potential is massive. But it's just not there yet.

JimDocker that article has copped a lot – and so it should. Perth is a nice place but that is complete hyperbole. Tourists love the place but aside from Joondalup poms and migrants leaving a country where they can't vote, most people would realise they'd made a mistake by moving there. It's boring. Not enough goes on. There aren't even that many good bars, and if there are, you'll be hamstrung by the price that going out might only be a fortnightly thing.

I want Perth to be a great city. The potential is massive. But it's just not there yet.

I would have thought you would have wanted to stay here SA, so when the time comes you can say you lived in Perth before it was cool, instead of moving to Melbourne like some small town arriviste?

Where has the article copped a lot ?

Not enough goes on ? This month, I have seen Bruce Springsteen, The National, Arcade Fire, Pearl Jam, been to a question and answer with Matt from The National at a screening of a movie about the band(had to miss a performance of Bryce Dessner that night because it clashed). At the Festival in the last few weeks, Okkervil River, Austra, Julia Holter, Olafur Arnalds, Booker T Jones, Public Enemy and Roy Ayers all played. For the first time in many years, I did not attend any of the Chevron Gardens gigs because I am trying to limit my spending a bit, but these are generally $60 at the most.

I did go to a free event with my family to watch Veles E Vents perform this - Miraculous transformations and pyrotechnic wonders abound in this family-friendly show … barely a moment passes without something jaw-droppingly spectacular occurring. MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS (UK)

Last week, I went out Thursday night, Friday night (dinner at the hawkers market in Perth then to The Wildcats) and Saturday night and to a picnic with 60 people on the Sunday.

I went to a beer master class at the Wine Store in East Fremantle during the week

I am heading out to dinner in Fremantle tonight, then to the Swan Valley for a catch up with friends tomorrow.

Next Wednesday, I have my once a month wine club, next Friday, dinner at Jamie's Italian, Next Sunday, lunch at Clancy's Fremantle.........

I have been to plenty of good bars and restaurants in recent times. Perth is improving and should have something to offer everybody nowadays....if they are open to try it.

For the record, my cousin lives in Brooklyn. She was voted in the top 30 executives under 30 within the advertising industry recently, so moves in pretty trendy circles. She loves coming back to Perth and really enjoys visiting the new places when she is here. I will be interested to hear her thought on this article.

Where has the article copped a lot ?

Not enough goes on ? This month, I have seen Bruce Springsteen, The National, Arcade Fire, Pearl Jam, been to a question and answer with Matt from The National at a screening of a movie about the band(had to miss a performance of Bryce Dessner that night because it clashed). At the Festival in the last few weeks, Okkervil River, Austra, Julia Holter, Olafur Arnalds, Booker T Jones, Public Enemy and Roy Ayers all played. For the first time in many years, I did not attend any of the Chevron Gardens gigs because I am trying to limit my spending a bit, but these are generally $60 at the most.

I did go to a free event with my family to watch Veles E Vents perform this - Miraculous transformations and pyrotechnic wonders abound in this family-friendly show … barely a moment passes without something jaw-droppingly spectacular occurring. MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS (UK)

Last week, I went out Thursday night, Friday night (dinner at the hawkers market in Perth then to The Wildcats) and Saturday night and to a picnic with 60 people on the Sunday.

I went to a beer master class at the Wine Store in East Fremantle during the week

I am heading out to dinner in Fremantle tonight, then to the Swan Valley for a catch up with friends tomorrow.

Next Wednesday, I have my once a month wine club, next Friday, dinner at Jamie's Italian, Next Sunday, lunch at Clancy's Fremantle.........

I have been to plenty of good bars and restaurants in recent times. Perth is improving and should have something to offer everybody nowadays....if they are open to try it.

For the record, my cousin lives in Brooklyn. She was voted in the top 30 executives under 30 within the advertising industry recently, so moves in pretty trendy circles. She loves coming back to Perth and really enjoys visiting the new places when she is here. I will be interested to hear her thought on this article.

A friend of mine is back from Germany at the moment and was always a mega critic of Perth. She said that seeing almost as a tourist now the place has improved ten fold. The past month or so with Fringe and PIAF has meant Northbridge and other areas have been great to walk around and sample. It's getting there. You just have to go and out and find it like most places. It's easy for people to want it delivered to them or go on to an internet forum and bag out the place. *REAL MEN*

Still a long long way to go for Perth though.

Last edited:
Find me an office cleaner, service station attendant, 7-11 cashier etc. who's not an Indian migrant and I'll buy you a beer... :) Anyway, that's another topic...
To be fair the 3-4 servo attendants I encounter regularly at the 3 service stations I go to in Perth are all white.

You're right about 7-11 though.

Very hard to manufacture a good night out in Perth if your budget is tight. $60 will get you a good night out in Sydney. Will need at least $80 to manufacture anything half decent in Perth unless you're a non-drinker. The expensiveness of the place stops me from going out often. I also find it harder to make new friends in Perth and people to be notably a bit more insular. There's some decent people around, but it's not as easy to be alone and join a group and fit in well as say Sydney.

Jim, I'm on the Upper East Side this morning ... the writer was either yanking your chain or is a dribbling idiot ...

Perth's got the odd good thing going for it, as should any super wealthy, super expensive city but you can throw as many events on as you want, you can't create a soul and a real vibe from a place so overburdened with shallow, narrow minded, materialistic bogans ....

We now rent more external culture than we did; we have a few more "cool" bars but the bar scene is held back by insane costs/prices and by a culture that's been touched on of insular people with a largely suburban shallow mindset that holds back anything truly vibrant and interesting ...

Pointing at people who come back to a place for a week here and there or come on
Holiday for 10 days as proof of a changed culture is nonsense...

I'm back every month. I've been to the nice bars that sit largely empty outside a very narrow hour range and that rarely contain decent service, particularly as regards quantity if staff and then they charge you more than upper east side prices ...

But sure there's some stuff on. Mostly brought in from places with culture ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back