ROUND 22
Victory v Central Coast AAMI - 15,031
Newcastle v Heart HUNTER - 10,117
Sydney v Westerm Sydmey SFS - 40,285
Wellington v Perth WELLINGTON - 6,401
Brisbane v Adelaide LANG PARK - 12,514

Round 22 Total: 84,348
Round 22 Average: 16,869

Not only did the A-League outdo the NRL in Round 1 but they also outdid them this weekend.

Of course, with games at Spotless, Metricon, Launceston, four Etihad, one Kardinia, and Subi to start proceedings for the AFL, we'll have, at a rough/conservative guess, 235k or so for the opening round, averaging 26k, which will be pretty down on normal Rnd 1 crowds. Will be interesting to see how the AFL handles the crowd criticism we'll get for that.

No denying he is a hell of an asset to the Storm.
Brisbane v Adelaide LANG PARK - 12,514

Round 22 Total: 84,348
Round 22 Average: 16,869

Not only did the A-League outdo the NRL in Round 1 but they also outdid them this weekend.

Take out the 40,000 at one game and the rest are very ordinary for a comp blowing its horn all the time!The average for the 4 other games is only 11,015.

The A League has a very long way to go to become #1 in Australia in fact I believe it will never happen.

Of course, with games at Spotless, Metricon, Launceston, four Etihad, one Kardinia, and Subi to start proceedings for the AFL, we'll have, at a rough/conservative guess, 235k or so for the opening round, averaging 26k, which will be pretty down on normal Rnd 1 crowds. Will be interesting to see how the AFL handles the crowd criticism we'll get for that.
NO MCG, because the only shield team that cant make the finals, the Bushranger's are currently playing a game there against QLD, that will attract a few thousand people at most!o_O

Take out the 40,000 at one game and the rest are very ordinary for a comp blowing its horn all the time!The average for the 4 other games is only 11,015.

The A League has a very long way to go to become #1 in Australia in fact I believe it will never happen.
Sure but we're just talking about the average here. The NRL had just one game over 20k on the weekend which is pretty poor for an opening round.

Never, for one second, did I suggest the A-League is the number 1 code in Australia. AFL is the number 1 code in Australia and anyone who denies that is has an agenda.

I don't think it'll be as bad as you may think. The games at Spotless and Metricon are predicted to pull around 18k. Games at Etihad and Subi will pick up the average.

Many people follow many sports especially in Sydney. That is part of the place. It is a unique concept for people from aussie rules states but it's the way it is. Some call it bandwagon, some call it apathy. Whatever.

I think that's a bit of a cop out. The truth is the average Sydneysider is less likely to like a local sports team enough to attend its games than in the other four major cities.

I also believe that the SOO series is helping to drag the image of the NRL down something similar to the Socceroos when compared to the A League

I wouldn't compare it to soccer because that's very different circumstances but I think State of Origin for all it's obvious financial merits and support is limiting. The NRL/ARLC will never get people in the rest of the country to care about it like NSW and QLD.

I'm sure in an ideal future they'd love to successfully expand to Perth and Adelaide and make the Storm much more popular but how they could ever do that with NEW SOUTH WALES VS QUEENSLAND always the showpiece is difficult to imagine.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they'll catch the same criticism, and I'm sure it'll have people like Roy Masters up in arms. The key difference is that the AFL have scheduled a light opener over two weeks followed by a blockbuster round 2. The NRL went all in with big games in big stadiums and fell flat, clearly not recognising the public's taste for when and where the sport is played.

The AFL aren't aiming high in round 1, they're saving up for round 2, the NRL were aiming high and just went about it the wrong way.

It's just a name.
That was a rhetorical flourish but it is impossible to ignore the MCC's role as operator.

I highly doubt they'll catch the same criticism, and I'm sure it'll have people like Roy Masters up in arms. The key difference is that the AFL have scheduled a light opener over two weeks followed by a blockbuster round 2. The NRL went all in with big games in big stadiums and fell flat, clearly not recognising the public's taste for when and where the sport is played.

The AFL aren't aiming high in round 1, they're saving up for round 2, the NRL were aiming high and just went about it the wrong way.
NRL still has a couple big guns in the locker: Brisbane home opener (after a Rnd 1 away win) at Suncorp should be at least 35k+, New Zealand will be playing at the big Eden Park ground, Storm should get a good outing as there is no footy in Melbourne on saturday (I swear they should have had them play at home first two rounds), should pick up ... 25k?

Will be a much healthier average in Rnd 2 for NRL, which will take some of the heat off. That Rnd 1 fixturing was still a dog's breakfast though, and there will be red faces over the lowest opening round aggregate in a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that's just a name too. They don't have a decades long waiting list because it's hard to see the Australia cricket team play a couple times a year.
I think the mere fact that the Sheffield Shield of all things is bumping the AFL's opening round blockbusters down a round is showing it is more than just a name.

I think the mere fact that the Sheffield Shield of all things is bumping the AFL's opening round blockbusters down a round is showing it is more than just a name.

Its a contractual obligation that is traditional and somewhat anachronistic given it dates back to when the shield actually drew crowds. Cricket and football have shared the ground since the 1860s. MCC management contract runs out at the same time the AFL contract does...maybe the AFL will go for a management role.

hell if i were the league Id set up a management company to handle Docklands...and then have it bid for the MCC management contract

Preliminary NRL tv ratings for round 1 - still have to check a few things but here we go re regionals and sky nz, and for some reason Think TVs metro+regional average is 100k less than what ive go for thursday. ive catered for both sides of the ratings fence this time. I didnt keep records for sky and regionals from last year so i cant compare.

Note the cutoff for regionals was 209k, and the ratings period ended on saturday, so Sunday football will not have featured in the listing. If anything needs correcting let me know. All figures are expressed in (000's)

2014NRLseasonratingsR1.png

references:

Preliminary NRL tv ratings for round 1 - still have to check a few things but here we go re regionals and sky nz, and for some reason Think TVs metro+regional average is 100k less than what ive go for thursday. ive catered for both sides of the ratings fence this time. I didnt keep records for sky and regionals from last year so i cant compare.

Note the cutoff for regionals was 209k, and the ratings period ended on saturday, so Sunday football will not have featured in the listing. If anything needs correcting let me know. All figures are expressed in (000's)

2014NRLseasonratingsR1.png

references:
That ... wouldn't have blown anyone's skirt up around the ARLC. Long season still to go and a lot of momentum to develop, but year-on-year drops of 162k+292k would not have been anticipated. Not having the right stadiums available in the right timeslots is one thing, but ratings shouldn't be so affected. That 205k out of Qld for Bulldogs-Broncos is particularly spongy looking.

That ... wouldn't have blown anyone's skirt up around the ARLC. Long season still to go and a lot of momentum to develop, but year-on-year drops of 162k+292k would not have been anticipated. Not having the right stadiums available in the right timeslots is one thing, but ratings shouldn't be so affected. That 205k out of Qld for Bulldogs-Broncos is particularly spongy looking.

Round 1. No one should be hitting the panic button. I think AFL ratings and crowds will be down for round 1 as well, due to a poor fixture.

I think it shows the Sheffield Shield has no place at a 100,000 stadium when the primary tenant could be using it.

They've apparently got nowhere else to go that has a first class suitable wicket and facilities. This would have been an advantage of upgrading Junction oval to a 30,000 seat stadium, with funding from cricket, the afl and the government. Everybody wins, except the taxpayer. That said, If SA can play matches at Glenelg, theres no reason shield matches couldnt be played at Princes Park, which could easily accommodate a shield crowd

Round 1. No one should be hitting the panic button. I think AFL ratings and crowds will be down for round 1 as well, due to a poor fixture.
Already touched on the crowds aspect, expecting an opening round average of 25k, but I don't think we should be dropping 13% off our ratings. A bit of sponginess to them though.

The NRL's Melbourne ratings were promising in terms of signs of growth, mind you. Perth a bit so-so but I'd still say they were acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back