Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Love how he cries everytime he makes a personal speech. Makes me love him more :) I'm exactly the same... Bloody inconvenient when you are trying to get the words out. At least no one doubts your sincerity!

Goddard back at training for Day 1 of pre-season

4h2c.jpg

He's got a yellow boot on...or is that a GOLD boot.

The new Golden Boy.

He used to wear hats to most open training sessions - as they are basically just a jog around followed by some shots at goal, I guess it didn't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched last nights game Id like to give this guy a wrap and say he is your best player. Obviously Watson has won a Brownlow and is a great player and a favourite son, yet in terms of influence on a game I reckon Goddard got him covered.
Goddards possessions are all attacking and effective. A lot of Watsons are just so so handballs and kicks that don't really achieve much. He took 9 marks and got the most uncontested possessions of any players, a lot of the time he wasn't in a position to attack and shouldn't have been receiving the ball, he received the ball on reputation, Essendon could have scored more by choosing better options at times.
I can't find metres Gained let alone a metres gained from effective disposals stat, but I believe this is incorporated into super coach scores. Without wanting to use super coach and stats as the be all and end all, despite his 12 more disposals and 6 more marks Watson only got 18 more super coach points. Goddards posies were a lot more damaging to North Melbourne and a some of Watsons possies he actually shouldn't have been receiving the ball.

Watson still one of the best in the comp, I just think Goddard is your MVP.

A lot of Watsons are just so so handballs and kicks that don't really achieve much.

It's an intriguing sentiment, but i'd suggest you need to look harder

This goal was amazing. Extracts the ball on the half back flank, sprints down field to the retrieve the ball and kick a goal from 50 out.

Everyone was in their perfect position for that. Stanton dropping out the back at the last second, Zaharakis going as soon as we won the ball, Carlisle leading up and Goddard running past. Right blokes in the righto,aces at the right times.

It's an intriguing sentiment, but i'd suggest you need to look harder
If I get a chance to watch replay I will jot the ones down. I know there were three in the middle of the ground in a 5minute period during the 2nd quarter. Got the ball kicked to him because of who he is (and this slowed the play down with a nothing kick sideways) when another bloke was in a better position to drive your team forward.
Even though he got about 25% more disposals than Goddard, and has a very high disposal efficiency rate, the proof of what I am saying is communicated with the slim difference in super coach scores. Although one thing I neglected to think about was Watsons influence on his teammates, I think he gives his teammates confidence to play better.

This goal was amazing. Extracts the ball on the half back flank, sprints down field to the retrieve the ball and kick a goal from 50 out.

Everyone was in their perfect position for that. Stanton dropping out the back at the last second, Zaharakis going as soon as we won the ball, Carlisle leading up and Goddard running past. Right blokes in the righto,aces at the right times.

Was sitting on top deck behind the goals followed Goddard all the way to the sticks and watched it sail through i rose out of my chair and gave fist pump to a few North fans around me one his best goals iv'e seen.

Last edited:
Having watched last nights game Id like to give this guy a wrap and say he is your best player. Obviously Watson has won a Brownlow and is a great player and a favourite son, yet in terms of influence on a game I reckon Goddard got him covered.
Goddards possessions are all attacking and effective. A lot of Watsons are just so so handballs and kicks that don't really achieve much. He took 9 marks and got the most uncontested possessions of any players, a lot of the time he wasn't in a position to attack and shouldn't have been receiving the ball, he received the ball on reputation, Essendon could have scored more by choosing better options at times.
I can't find metres Gained let alone a metres gained from effective disposals stat, but I believe this is incorporated into super coach scores. Without wanting to use super coach and stats as the be all and end all, despite his 12 more disposals and 6 more marks Watson only got 18 more super coach points. Goddards posies were a lot more damaging to North Melbourne and a some of Watsons possies he actually shouldn't have been receiving the ball.

Watson still one of the best in the comp, I just think Goddard is your MVP.

Think Goddard is more skillful and more versatile but I can't work out whether it all translates to him being better than Jobe. I think Goddard's best football is probably slightly better but I say it without any confidence.

If I get a chance to watch replay I will jot the ones down. I know there were three in the middle of the ground in a 5minute period during the 2nd quarter. Got the ball kicked to him because of who he is (and this slowed the play down with a nothing kick sideways) when another bloke was in a better position to drive your team forward.
Even though he got about 25% more disposals than Goddard, and has a very high disposal efficiency rate, the proof of what I am saying is communicated with the slim difference in super coach scores. Although one thing I neglected to think about was Watsons influence on his teammates, I think he gives his teammates confidence to play better.

to be brutally honest it was just a nice way of saying I disagree wholeheartedly.

Goddard's a star, but Jobe is the straw that stirs the milk, so to speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back