The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Would say a fair bit about the quality of the AFL if this guy amounted to anything

I dont think too many top line sporting leagues around the world (NFL, NBA, EPL) would have contests like this
Best of luck to him though

EPL did do it. Think the guy signed with Chelsea. Never played a senior game I think.

Sheedy gave a good push for him. He probably would have been given every chance there to make it if he was going to personally mentor him.

I wonder if his back scared a bunch of teams away? They never really mentioned it again after that one episode.

Chris Moreland was obviously the real winner here. He now gets to spend even more time with the wife.

If you're a w***er who has been belted by the jealousy curse,think you're an authority on what it takes to play AFL,like to whinge about everything,are negative about absolutely everything and know of a thousand blokes that are better.... This is your thread.

If you're a ****** who has been belted by the jealousy curse,think you're an authority on what it takes to play AFL,like to whinge about everything,are negative about absolutely everything and know of a thousand blokes that are better.... This is your thread.
You're being very negative..

Not at all. Amateurs don't get paid.

Furthermore, it's very likely Morlo and Wagner were making reasonable coin.

Every player drafted into the AFL is a semi-professional.

?? Pretty much all underage juniors would never have been paid. It's a valid comparison to draw - neither they nor local footballers like Wagner have been involved in a completely professional environment before so there is always some scope for improvement.

They can still nominate for the draft this year, and would most likely be picked in the rookie draft.

There's already rumours floating that Waylen may be going to Collingwood, Padraigh (?) has already signed as an International rookie at Geelong, and Morlo is talking to several clubs too. I'm told the Cats, Carlton, and Richmond are interested in Morlo.
Good work there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?? Pretty much all underage juniors would never have been paid. It's a valid comparison to draw - neither they nor local footballers like Wagner have been involved in a completely professional environment before so there is always some scope for improvement.
Fair call. Nevertheless, many recruits from WA do receive match payments for league games. As such, the perception they're all amateurs is incorrect (as incorrect as suggesting they're all semi-professional).

I was paid to play U14 suburban football, does that make me a pro? :p

I quite like the concept - the amount of mature agers drafted in the past 5-6 years shows that there can be a multitude of reasons you don't make it at 17/18. Wouldn't surprise me if a few guys make it onto rookie lists, while Moreland will surely get a gig in the VFL (maybe Geelong?)

Unfortunately the way it ended (with Port and the two expansion clubs) made it seem a little rigged at the end.

More depth for the Port Maggies, Crows reserves and assorted snafl fans will be pleased.

Fair call. Nevertheless, many recruits from WA do receive match payments for league games. As such, the perception they're all amateurs is incorrect (as incorrect as suggesting they're all semi-professional).

Most get payed very little. I know a current South Freo player and he said it's only the big names such as ex AFL players and recruits from over east that make any decent sort of coin. The rest like him that were developed in the colts then reserves get payed hardly anything.

Most get payed very little. I know a current South Freo player and he said it's only the big names such as ex AFL players and recruits from over east that make any decent sort of coin. The rest like him that were developed in the colts then reserves get payed hardly anything.
Yes, but amateurs get paid NOTHING. That's pretty well the definition of being an amateur.

Fantastic decision. The best was Yoey. The others were fabulous and lots will see a future in AFL, the big fellow must keep up the trial to make it. And Moreland too. They'll get there.

Yoey just had it that spark . He'll love Port who are a fantastic club, good luck young fella , Kochies speech was a goodie too.

That club has produced some magnificent footballers, and not a bad coach came out of their too.

Good luck Port , good luck Yoey. Good show foxtel, at the start I thought things a bit harsh ,I found out why though.

Also without a doubt Australian Rules Football at the top level is the hardest foot on feild sport on this planet, there is no argument.

Now that lad will see some real hard work. Great result.

6000 posts not one of them of any value. How is this flog still able to post on the main board?

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Not sure if this has been posted but was I the only one that thought it was obvious that all 18 clubs knew Wagner was always going to port and only the expansion sides said yes so they could get some exposure??

Gee that really inspired him to pick Gold Coast
LOL @ Gold Coast's pitch
Did the AFL force GC and GWS to want him? Sounded like the Gold Coast guy was doing everything he could in his pitch to scare him away....
Like I mentioned briefly on the Suns board... We knew who he was going to pick Port so nothing we could if said was gonna work.

Props to Sheeds for giving it a crack though, He had me convinced. Wily old bugger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back