The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

I was surprised that only 3 clubs were interested in drafting him, it's obvious his preference would of been Port but I don't understand why you wouldn't at least put your hand up? why didn't Adelaide have a crack? win zero battles you don't fight and all that...

If this kid goes on to play 150 games I would be pissed If I was an Adelaide supporter.
Adelaide were a titch busy yesterday.

A lot of Geelong West Saints flavour in the final episode. The Wilston Grange treasurer Brett Gillett played juniors with me at Geelong West-St Peters.

Were you a bit bummed that they zoomed in on Bell Post Hill Football Club for Morlo, even though most of the footage was from West Oval!

good get by port.the publicity alone is worth it for port.not to mention his style of play suits port,whether he makes it or not its still a smart move from what now is a pr monster in port .well done koschy.

Were you a bit bummed that they zoomed in on Bell Post Hill Football Club for Morlo, even though most of the footage was from West Oval!

Nah not really. I think they would have had most actual footage with him playing in 3 flags there.

There was a lot of West Saints stuff in there with the juniors however.

He wont be with us next season. Hopefully Jonathon Brown makes a few appearances though.

I think chances of rookie listed players making it are slight but the Swans have been doing very well with them. Joey and some of the others do have a chance. I think nine weeks of intensive training in that environment could be a huge boost to their chances. I also can't help but think of Michael Barlow drafted five years ago at nearly 22 and Mike Pyke drafted at age 24. There must be other mature age and other possibilities out there. Congratulations to the producers for seeing the possibilities and making quite a good show out of it. Good luck to Joey and the others for having a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should of picked GWS. The opportunity to be mentored by Sheeds would've been great for him imo.

I thought the same thing, but then on the flipside, they also have a lot of young players who are all competing for spots. You then are left playing in the two's in the NEAFL, which aint exactly crash hot. At least now he will be playing in the SANFL at the very worst, which is still a commendable achievement.

Yeah but the best player in the series is also from Port Lincoln and had a letter he wrote as a kid saying he'd play for Port. Having Burgess on the show helped his chances, but it's hardly like Port did anything great to make it happen.

I also think due to being such a quick rebuild that Port's list is actually a bit lighter on than most people realise. That was evident when they had a few injuries mid year. Much like Hawthorn being a standout young team in 08 then tumbling in 09 due to injuries throwing the list out of whack. If Wagner gets in decent SANFL form I'd say he's a chance to play. Not tipping on a long career for him but on even odds I'd be going with yes he does play an AFL game.
I don't agree with your assessment of the Port Adelaide list. They're deep enough for a young team. Also, you appear to have missed the point of my post. Port Adelaide is going to receive nation wide attention for pennies on the dollar having invested almost nothing into the program. That is smart.

Port Adelaide off the field have been fantastic and it has earn't them what they are achieving on the field. They effectively stole Ebert and Polec, they have drafted well in Wines and Wingard, they nailed the FA signing of White, they got Monfries for nothing and have made him a player. Everything they are touching has turned to gold and I would not be the least bit surprised if this kid kicks 50+ goals as a medium forward in the next 2 years.

Remember two years ago when they were basket cases?
It's interesting as I made mention elsewhere and have been of the opinion for some time but I couldn't work out Port Adelaide as it was obvious they had talent in their list. Clearly, Thomas, Koch, Hinkley and their team should be congratulated for their turn around effort. They appear to be getting all the little things right.

Then again, Port Adelaide shows what happens when you run your business as a business and reconnect with your grass roots. Rarely is it rocket science.

Why did they bother with the 'Bradie and Yoey you're going through, bad luck Morlo' part? Added nothing to the show. Bradie and Morlo are in exactly the same boat.

Surprised how big Morlo is at 189cm. Looks small on TV. His height with supposed pace, skill on both sides of his body and obvious hardness sounds ideal for AFL footy.

Morlo looks much skinner than I thought.
Is he fast enough to play so outside because of it?
I thought the same thing but given he was standing next to a couple of giants with Vossy, who is still a beast, you can see why. The thing that stuck out to me was how big Yoey was. If Morlo is 189cm that means Yoey would be in the low 190's and built.

Yoey measures 189.5cm according to the AFL website.

I'd suggest a third tall like Yoey playing a Darling style lead up role could provide value to Port. He has a skill set that's not really covered in the 22. That's if he's good enough of course. He'd play differently to Westhoff.

Yoey measures 189.5cm according to the AFL website.

I'd suggest a third tall like Yoey playing a Darling style lead up role could provide value to Port. He has a skill set that's not really covered in the 22. That's if he's good enough of course. He'd play differently to Westhoff.

189 is bloody tall... didn't see him taking many marks though. Fyfe is 190cm as the new prototype footballer so Yoey is right on the money from that angle.

Interesting array of selectors/presidents/coaches etc. there.

You'd have to think the fact Paul Roos was there he was either forced to be there by fox or they were legitimately interested in one of the other guys.

probably forced to by fox

I think Yoey can be a Jason Porplyzia type player in the AFL.

Surely they'd be looking at making him into more of an Isaac Smith type? Porpoise is more of a small forward, Yoey is definitely a third tall with running ability. Initially would play as a high half forward type, then after a few preseasons could move as a run and carry mid? Think Porplyzia is a terrible comparison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back