News New Western Bulldogs logo?

Remove this Banner Ad

I made a few myself with some random bulldog heads I have
FootscrayOption.gif
FootscrayOption2.gif

I don't mind it, even though it does look slightly more NRL than AFL. I like it better on a white background as it looks off balance on the blue background.

I still think that Melbourne's logo is by far the best upgrade out of all of the modern re-designs.
Can't say I agree.
Melbourne's looks like it was designed by 7 different people and all of them got what they wanted in the logo.
Then they just took Liverpool's logo and converted it.
There they were sitting around the office of the designer, his hair resplendently pulled back into a pony tail to ensure everyone knows this is his business attire.
Melbourne officials speak:
Put the Yoke in it, make sure that gets in.
Hey. don't forget the Demon, put a trident in or something.
What about the rules of the game? Put that in too.
Hang on, oldest club. Got to have 1858
Yeah, you guys are missing the Southern Cross. Every bogan in the country has it tattooed on his chest. That's got to be in.
What about the blokes who died in the wars? Liverpool has an eternal flame, can we find a spot for that? Yeah, we whack it over the M
And a ribbon, we've got to have a ribbon.
Wait! What about a footy? This needs a footy.

So, which ones will be put in the new Melbourne logo?
All of 'em.
We'll just Photoshop buggery out of it as well, make it look all modern and flashy.

Compare it to Richmond for example.
You still have the element of the shield.
And then you have an unmistakeable Tiger.
Nothing else.
And as Tommy Hafey once said 'there's nothing more tigerish than a bloody tiger".
Richmond's logo kills Melbourne's.

FWIW this was my attempt that I sent to the club several months ago. I’m not claiming it’s ideal, but at least the dog is more realist, not kiddy-cartoony, and the text/words/shield all combine into one complete logo.
wbconcept.jpg
I made a few myself with some random bulldog heads I have
FootscrayOption.gif
FootscrayOption2.gif

I'm enjoying the concept of the spiked collar being a feature.

Can't say I agree.
Melbourne's looks like it was designed by 7 different people and all of them got what they wanted in the logo.
Then they just took Liverpool's logo and converted it.
There they were sitting around the office of the designer, his hair resplendently pulled back into a pony tail to ensure everyone knows this is his business attire.
Melbourne officials speak:
Put the Yoke in it, make sure that gets in.
Hey. don't forget the Demon, put a trident in or something.
What about the rules of the game? Put that in too.
Hang on, oldest club. Got to have 1858
Yeah, you guys are missing the Southern Cross. Every bogan in the country has it tattooed on his chest. That's got to be in.
What about the blokes who died in the wars? Liverpool has an eternal flame, can we find a spot for that? Yeah, we whack it over the M
And a ribbon, we've got to have a ribbon.
Wait! What about a footy? This needs a footy.

So, which ones will be put in the new Melbourne logo?
All of 'em.
We'll just Photoshop buggery out of it as well, make it look all modern and flashy.

Compare it to Richmond for example.
You still have the element of the shield.
And then you have an unmistakeable Tiger.
Nothing else.
And as Tommy Hafey once said 'there's nothing more tigerish than a bloody tiger".
Richmond's logo kills Melbourne's.
I love Richmond's logo. I'd just prefer that they add 'Football Club' to 'Richmond.'

And just on that Tommy Hafey quote, I'd love for Richmond to incorporate it into their pre-game montage, somehow. Before Footscray run out, there's an edited clip of the famous Ted Whitten speech - "You've gotta show me all the guts and determination you've got in your body. When you've got your backs against the wall, you've gotta fight, and fight hard. You've gotta fight.. you've gotta fight..."

It's brilliant, enough to raise the hair on the back of your neck. Richmond could afford to do something similar. It'd be an improvement on shirtless people beating drums, anyway.

Wow. Just Wow. That's not just similar. That is literally the same dog, same stripes, same shield. This has to be addressed soon or it could backfire.

The cricket club just blatantly ripped it off. I was about to post the tweet from the club but Trent85 beat me to it. Local clubs are guilty of ripping off AFL teams all the time.

Even if a local club has had a particular logo for a long time, if the AFL team they've 'borrowed' it from decides to change their logo, you can guarantee that the local club will follow suit by 12 months' time.

That's the first I've heard of any entity called "AFL Brandzone" by the way. Mero, any ideas?
AFL Brandzone is the entity that addresses all copyright issues and brands with the AFL. This is the entity that permits use of AFL art, photos, and imagery and provides the "Official AFL" branding for commercial items. Also linked with AFLphotos.

You can register for the site and download all club logos, colour guides, font guides etc, commercial and themed rounds.

If you want to make a design for a coffee mug or poster you have to send your artwork there, receive approval by, AFL, the Club, the Player featured and other governing bodies. Then you can use the 'Official AFL' merchandise logo.

In regards to the new Doggies logo

But for a new up to date logo that was lodged in July 2012 and in the process for 2 years is....well....out of date?

Well someone is going to have egg on their face....

On a personal preference....wouldn't the Bulldog be better facing right, coming out of the Western Suburbs to take on the rest of the teams? And just letting the others sniff its bum.

The MPC also used the old doggies logo as well, and the first use of the new logo was in November 2013 for their anniversary party, or so it seems from their Facebook page.

Perhaps their designer saw it one the BF forum and grabbed it for use, way back July 2012. Some guy uses it one his Sound cloud page too..... if you do a google image search.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the AFL Brandzone page

AFL Licensing Information

The AFL’s Intellectual Property (IP), including but not limited to images, logos and footage is one of AFL’s most important assets. Therefore it is vital that all AFL IP is used correctly and consistently in all brand communications to reinforce its value. This includes using all AFL IP in accordance with relevant style guides, website information and industry documents.

Correct and current AFL logos and designations must be used at all times. This site will guide you in selecting the correct AFL logo for your application and the correct corresponding designations to suit.

You first must register your details for approval from the AFL, once your registration is approved you will have access to submit requests.

All AFL Image use must be requested and approved by the AFL and take into consideration the collective agreement between the AFL and the AFL Players’ Association (AFLPA). This states what types of images can be used for promotional purposes, and what images will need player/s and or club approval.

All AFL Footage requests must be approved by the AFL, with all approved AFL footage sourced through AFL Media. All requests must take into consideration the collective agreement between the AFL and the AFLPA.

The AFL reserves all rights to approve or decline all forms of IP requests at its sole discretion. There are always a number of issues for the AFL to consider in approving all IP requests, including but not limited to AFL and AFL Club sponsors/partner conflicts, the intended market/audience and brand values/image.

Each ‘New Request’ will take you step by step through what factors need to be taken into consideration when requesting the use of AFL IP, and the guidelines that need to be adhered to.

The cricket club just blatantly ripped it off. I was about to post the tweet from the club but Trent85 beat me to it. Local clubs are guilty of ripping off AFL teams all the time.

Even if a local club has had a particular logo for a long time, if the AFL team they've 'borrowed' it from decides to change their logo, you can guarantee that the local club will follow suit by 12 months' time.
Do clubs actually care about local ripoffs? I mean I understand why they would legally but its so common, the majority of local clubs are just ripoffs rather than original art.

Do clubs actually care about local ripoffs? I mean I understand why they would legally but its so common, the majority of local clubs are just ripoffs rather than original art.

Issue would come from the fact that MPCC used it before the WB unveiled it. If they used it afterwards, then there wouldn't be an issue.

The Western Bulldogs have a page with affiliated clubs listed on it:
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/community/grassroots-football/bulldogs-affiliated-clubs
I'm assuming, if you are on this list, that the AFL officially recognise you as a club of their. Not sure what happens if you are not on the list.

So demon_spud, can the average Joe Bloggs sign up for AFL Brandzone or is it 'official' partners only?

I registered a few years ago for the website, I'm pretty much an average Joe. You jsut fill out the forms and then await approval.

As akkaps says, you need a business ABN. Costs nothing to get a business ABN and register yourself as a freelancer designer for the Govt to keep an eye on you.

I registered for an ABN when I did some freelance work back at uni.

Can't say I agree.
Melbourne should never be forgiven for ditching the Demon in their absurd attempt to somehow capture the Chinese market, thinking the Chinese would be put off by the devil. They abandoned their heritage for a quick-fix cash grab and then didn't even bother following up on it.

If this wasn't a logo discussion I'd draw a parallel to voting their own club out of existance to grab some Hawthorn players....

The new logo is better than RoboDog, but still not that great. You'd think that in two years they would have improved it, especially since they didn't release it straight away.

Maybe when the Dogs get a new president, they'll finally go back to being called Footscray, and bring in a nice vintage-y logo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back