Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recorded the Freo and Hawks games. Thought I had recorded the first Showdown but when I went to watch it noticed I had a GWS/Melbourne game.
"Missed it by that much".
Oh well it will be on a few more times.
I watch the replays on AFL site via Smart Replay. There you can look at any game any time

Port v Hawthorn Rd 10 on Fox now....
Just finished the 3rd quarter, I need a rest. Up by 30 with 7 minutes of the quarter to go. Then the Hawks kick 4.1 to put them only 7 points down. We are wonderful nevertheless. Met a (Port-fanatic) friend for coffee late morning. We were discussing how good some of these games are to look back on, and how the team kept changing/evolving through the year.

Just finished the 3rd quarter, I need a rest. Up by 30 with 7 minutes of the quarter to go. Then the Hawks kick 4.1 to put them only 7 points down.
We certainly improved from last year, but we're still leaking runs of goals too much. Certainly a focus for the pre-season (along with goal kicking!) and something whoever replaces Walsh will need to address ASAP.

This article from the Rd 4 game when we played Brisbane and wore the 2004 jumper needs to be in here and update given events during the season and recently

Is the 2004 premiership team the smartest ever?
Ashley Browne April 10, 2014 11:52 AM

An AFL Record feature this week that looks back at the 2004 premiers reveals that while one member of the side, half-back flanker Damien Hardwick, is now coach of Richmond, there are another seven who work as assistant coaches at AFL level.

They are: Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan (Greater Western Sydney), Brett Montgomery (Western Bulldogs), Josh Carr (Port Adelaide), Brendon Lade (Richmond), Adam Kingsley (St Kilda) and Stuart Dew (Sydney Swans). [Monty is a chance to be head coach at the Doggies and Dew at the Gold Coast]

In addition, Jarrad Schofield is coach of WAFL club Subiaco [ who won WAFL flag beat WCE affiliated East Perth], while Josh Mahoney, a former assistant coach at Melbourne, is now that club's football manager.

But it doesn’t end there. Skipper Matthew Primus and star on-baller Josh Francou both missed the Grand Final because of season-ending ACL injuries. A decade on, both also are coaching.

Alastair Clarkson and the late Dean Bailey were two of Williams' chief lieutenants on that team and both went on to become senior coaches. Bailey coached Melbourne and was an assistant at Adelaide when diagnosed with cancer late last year. He died last month. [Now add Phil Walsh to the crows]

Clarkson, with two THREE flags already and on his way to becoming one of the greats, actually finished up with Port before the Grand Final once he was appointed coach of Hawthorn.

Williams, who finished with Port midway through 2010, is now head of development at Richmond.

Mahoney believes Williams' background fostered a great environment at Port Adelaide because, "it was forced upon you as a player to understand a lot about the game. He educated players about the game and how it was played".

Dew said the 2004 team was full of smart footy brains. "We were blessed with guys who would make the right decisions on the ground. Now that there are so many coaching, that's no surprise."

Is the 2004 premiership team the smartest ever?

Bishop - worked in player welfare and in the coaches box until last year or 2012 now GM of one of local Vic Metro leagues - think Eastern Football League
Wilbur - physio at the club
Wakelin - was a board member 2007-2011 - running his pharmacy and oyster businesses
Byron - employed by the club in the community indigenous program
Gavin - running businesses plus always doing something with and for the club
Tredders - media selling Port to the SA public however he can
Toby - was in the coaches box until end of last year - now just a mentor for a couple of players
James - still playing country footy and coaching out there when not pruning or spraying the orchard
Peter - still playing a bit of footy in the bush i believe. has done the odd thing with community indigenous program

Dom - retired this year - I reckon the boss will get him doing something at Port after 12 months off
Kane - still playing
Shaun - still playing

Wasn't sure where to post this but big Red got married yesterday, the Roof also tied the knot.

10731182_947526745262664_8148402775545668330_n.jpg

10171858_947526771929328_8028691620748962934_n.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where to post this but Redden got married to his missus yesterday & the Roof also tied the knot.

Renouf batting out of his league like the time Richard Chee Quee opened in the First Test at Lords.

Wasn't sure where to post this but Redden got married to his missus yesterday ...
Lucky that. Wouldn't have been a good look if it was someone else's missus. :D

Wasn't sure where to post this but big Red got married yesterday, the Roof also tied the knot with his girl.

When I read that opening sentence I thought wow she married them both, she must like tall men.

I was watching the first showdown for 2014 the other day and Dwayne Russell mentioned that there was going to be a statue of Russell Ebert commissioned for Adelaide Oval.

Did this ever come about? I heard there is a statue of Barrie Robran.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is Hartlett mentioned so often every trade thread? Adelaide boy with massive potential, arguably one of our best and most important players.

Why is Hartlett mentioned so often every trade thread? Adelaide boy with massive potential, arguably one of our best and most important players.

Because some people here (not me) were becoming frustrated with his perceived lack of consistency in previous years, and would repeatedly bring up his name in trade discussions as a means to landing a big name key forward. I think nowadays his name is brought up jokingly as a sort of half-hearted dig at those people.
Personally, I'd probably sink into depression if I saw Hamish in another club's colours.

Because some people here (not me) were becoming frustrated with his perceived lack of consistency in previous years, and would repeatedly bring up his name in trade discussions as a means to landing a big name key forward. I think nowadays his name is brought up jokingly as a sort of half-hearted dig at those people.
Personally, I'd probably sink into depression if I saw Hamish in another club's colours.

Until this year Hartlett had unconsciously taken over something of the role of Shaun Burgoyne (or a better version of Danyle Pearce) in our minds: a supreme talent, very damaging with the ball in his hands but susceptible to a hard tag and to going in and out of games. With the tags being shared around now plus some maturity, elite status beckons and I don't think anyone would contemplate a trade now.

Until this year Hartlett had unconsciously taken over something of the role of Shaun Burgoyne (or a better version of Danyle Pearce) in our minds: a supreme talent, very damaging with the ball in his hands but susceptible to a hard tag and to going in and out of games. With the tags being shared around now plus some maturity, elite status beckons and I don't think anyone would contemplate a trade now.
Hamish is on the verge of a break out year, and when it happens it'll be well worth watching. Injuries permitting, I'm quietly confident that year will be 2015.

After the draw we had with Richmond at the MCG in 2012, it was the last game of the season, and we all know what the club was like back then. At the after-match function there was this one disgruntled Port supporter who was complaining about how the club was being run etc. I didn't hear the entirety of his rant but the two people who did said that he did have a point. But one thing I did hear him say and this sticks by me to this day is:

"The next two years will make or break the club!"

Being the end of 2012, of course the next two years we had after that were quite successful. Started a major turn-around, got our off-field stuff together, played in 5 finals, won 3 of them.

Going by what that bloke said that day, I think the two years we've just had will have made the club rather than breaking it :thumbsu:

#weareportadelaide

I fear what Harlett would do to teams if he hit beast mode on a consistent level for long periods. He is capable of it and he has been hinting he is ready to deliver on that untapped talent. What excites me more is I think Polec is every bit as good.
I'll go a bit further than that - I reckon we've got several players, who are all coming into their prime at the same time. People all over the country are already saying that Port is their favourite team to watch, and I believe we'll be even better next year. I doubt many teams will be able to stay with us for 4 full quarters!!!!

I was watching the first showdown for 2014 the other day and Dwayne Russell mentioned that there was going to be a statue of Russell Ebert commissioned for Adelaide Oval.

Did this ever come about? I heard there is a statue of Barrie Robran.

Not yet. Over 3 or 4 seasons, Ebert, Blight and Ken Farmer will be added. have written before those 4 should have gotten stands named after them and the others should have got statues.

Rex Sellars started the statutes idea at the SCG because no more stands could be named after the great players. Then the MCG started doing it again as no stands could be named after the players because they had the Great Southern Stand and the new redevelopment 2002-05 they kept the Ponsford, Members and Olympic stands. AO was completely different.

The greatest players should have got stands over statutes. the eastern stand is split into 5 stands Wanganeen, Oatey, Basheer, Williams and Ricciuto. They originally were going to be called pavilions ie 5 pavilions in one big eastern stand so the statues made some sense. But once they changed the pavilions to stands then the great players should have got their own stands.

Not yet. Over 3 or 4 seasons, Ebert, Blight and Ken Farmer will be added. have written before those 4 should have gotten stands named after them and the others should have got statues.

Rex Sellars started the statutes idea at the SCG because no more stands could be named after the great players. Then the MCG started doing it again as no stands could be named after the players because they had the Great Southern Stand and the new redevelopment 2002-05 they kept the Ponsford, Members and Olympic stands. AO was completely different.

The greatest players should have got stands over statutes. the eastern stand is split into 5 stands Wanganeen, Oatey, Basheer, Williams and Ricciuto. They originally were going to be called pavilions ie 5 pavilions in one big eastern stand so the statues made some sense. But once they changed the pavilions to stands then the great players should have got their own stands.

Much prefer the Russell Ebert Stand instead of the Riverbank. I will be making a point of being at his Statue unveiling. REH would you like to see his statue delivering a REH handball or a mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back