News Rodney Eade confirmed as GC coach (see p10)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just not seeing how it is any different to the past where clubs have lost support staff at this stage of the year.

I'm not seeing any major difference and Eddie brought up things like the tax etc to make it sound like the pies were at an exceptional disadvantage, or had to pay more than other clubs.

Open to see the reasons why but it just sounds like a situation where shit happens and sometimes the support staff will move to take the main gig somewhere else. I can't recall a time where another pres has made such a big deal of it.

your point is well made, and although shit happens, Eade is not merely support staff. I would suggest (and look it up) support staff are people who assist managers, and managers like Eade. It's a disruption to our plans, so close to a critical time of year: the national draft.

From my experience, people move on and the business will continue, but recruitment of such a position is hardly the stuff of getting a kitchen hand at the local restaurant (i.e support staff).

The main issue as I see it is there is a very important position to fill, with not many worthy, or suitable, or qualified people that are available. You've got to find this rare breed, ensure they fit the culture, have the skills, and actually want to work for the Pies.

Eade is a dinosaur and he will be a complete disaster for the franchise but he would have been sounding board for Buckley last year.
If Buckley is teamed up with an inexperienced operator, we will regress further in 2015.

your point is well made, and although shit happens, Eade is not merely support staff. I would suggest (and look it up) support staff are people who assist managers, and managers like Eade. It's a disruption to our plans, so close to a critical time of year: the national draft.

From my experience, people move on and the business will continue, but recruitment of such a position is hardly the stuff of getting a kitchen hand at the local restaurant (i.e support staff).

The main issue as I see it is there is a very important position to fill, with not many worthy, or suitable, or qualified people that are available. You've got to find this rare breed, ensure they fit the culture, have the skills, and actually want to work for the Pies.

Yep, its gonna cost a bunch of money to search for and hire a replacement, even before the contract cost. As a minimum GC should be paying the search fee.

Peter Jackson accepted a temporary position at Melbourne lately. He was given a 6 month term as CEO and had an option of a permanent position if both parties were happy.
It happens a bit.
Please never ever again compare us to the Melbourne Football Club or use them as an example to follow.

The question here is why does it appear that people are eager to leave and no-one of any statue is eager to join. What's wrong? Is it culture or something more deep rooted?
Adams joined us over Geelong, Greenwood just came on board. When Lynch was deciding (Carlton were in the picture), yet he joined us. Just missed on Clarke...not because he didn't want to come.
Petracca wants to join us...but won't make it (at this stage).
We missed on Buddy, Tippet, Boyd...all big $$$. Havnt had the cap space to bring em in.
Confident we will land some good fish over next 2 years...from Adelaide, GC or GWS.

The question here is why does it appear that people are eager to leave and no-one of any statue is eager to join. What's wrong? Is it culture or something more deep rooted?

That's the worry.
You can't be successful if you don't have a stable club.
We are as unstable as you get currently.

I'm not concerned, the people, (players) leaving are ones we were happy to move on or let go for various reasons.
Of the ones who initiated their own departure Rocket and Daisy were attracted by the $$ - we can't help that.
The culture, (myth) is fine and it's exactly what is being fixed despite what is being portrayed in the media.
Our club is on record as saying they only want committed people at the club.
If your commitment is brought into question by way of $$, off field behaviour or attitude/demeanour within the club; it's time to get off the bus.

I'm not concerned, the people, (players) leaving are ones we were happy to move on or let go for various reasons.
Of the ones who initiated their own departure Rocket and Daisy were attracted by the $$ - we can't help that.
The culture, (myth) is fine and it's exactly what is being fixed despite what is being portrayed in the media.
Our club is on record as saying they only want committed people at the club.
If your commitment is brought into question by way of $$, off field behaviour or attitude/demeanour within the club; it's time to get off the bus.

You make some good points but stability within a football club is an underrated trait.
I can't think of any recent premier that has had such unstablity in their club as we have had since 2011.

You make some good points but stability within a football is an underrated trait.
Agreed.
We will be fine - not the club's fault GCS sacked their coach and poached Rocket.
Dust yourself off and get on with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.
We will be fine - not the club's fault GCS sacked their coach and poached Rocket.
Dust yourself off and get on with it.

I'm not overly concerned about Eade.
Dud appointment from the get go.
But we need stability now or we will forever be chasing our tail.

F me. Now there's some hyperbole!

How is it hyperbole?
You think a successful club is one that is unstable?
We've had Buttifant, Walsh (who is a major loss), Eade & the like walkout offield.
We also have had quality players such as Beams, Shaw & the like move onfield.
You can't be successful if you have an unstable club.

The club is not unstable for a start.

How is the club stable?
Can you give me some direct examples?
A stable club isn't one who has 3 different football managers in the space of 18 months.

Caro has pipped in.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/happy-50th-ed-now-let-it-go-20141029-11dwgg.html

McGuire will have some support at raising a giant finger to the current environment where players, coaches, clubs and now football directors have been breaking contracts on a near daily basis. But in doing so, he is drawing attention to the fact that too many people are leaving Collingwood.

With CEO Gary Pert due back at work on Thursday, having reportedly already unofficially agreed to terms with the Suns, surely the stalemate will end.

And both Collingwood bosses can continue to examine the issues in their own backyard as they search for a suitable football boss to help guide Nathan Buckley – also reportedly a little bemused by the Eade farce – and his team.

Gee, this everyone wants out crap just persists doesn't it. Benken, Broomy and Grundy all stay, Swan says piss off I will be carried out in a box before I leave this club despite his best mates not being there anymore and mid range guys like Goldsack as well vocal about wanting to stay.

All those blokes probably took unders on what they could get at market if it was all $$$. That's ignoring the shite load of other resigns we have had.

I can't be farked listing all the players that left and the reasons - but seriously, it's a myth. Some really good community citizens like Daisy, Beamer and welling ham leave.

Good footballers - yes. But if you are talking about culture - if you are honest they are nearly the first 3 you jettison (unless creating a punters club and flushing firecrackers down the toilet is important).

If hurts losing good footballers. It's hurts when they don't want to play for you. But I reckon we are on the right path. All that said - at the end of their careers, welcome home premiership heroes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back