Shield Final - venue dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

I do find it hard to understand how there couldn't be a ground in regional Victoria that could be used. Seems odd that one of Geelong, Ballarat or Bendigo at least couldn't have been brought up to standard.

It's stupidity all round with this fiasco
The main problem with the venues in these locations is the lack of off field turf practice facilities. It's a relatively expensive exercise to put down and maintain turf training pitches, particularly in Victoria because of our climate. Geelong (Kardinia Park No.1) would come close but it's not enclosed and would fall over on the other conditions. There are currently no off field turf wicket practice facilities at the major grounds in Bendigo or Ballarat. CV would be made to to shell out $150k for a once off that it has no intention of ever using again for first class games.

So I take it you never whinged when WCE had to host finals at the MCG because the rule stated that a final had to be played in Melbourne every week of the finals?

We lobbied to change a clearly ludicrous rule...

The better corollary in this case would be if West Coast has been granted a home final because of some dodgy deal behind the scenes - which was excused by all and sundry because it was "fair" and they "deserved" it...

Imagine the howls in Victoria if that had happened in 1990

The main problem with the venues in these locations is the lack of off field turf practice facilities. It's a relatively expensive exercise to put down and maintain turf training pitches, particularly in Victoria because of our climate. Geelong (Kardinia Park No.1) would come close but it's not enclosed and would fall over on the other conditions. There are currently no off field turf wicket practice facilities at the major grounds in Bendigo or Ballarat. CV would be made to to shell out $150k for a once off that it has no intention of ever using again for first class games.

A pity. I think cricket will benefit from taking a few shield games a year to the country- which per capita produces a disproportionately high number of cricketers.

Unfortunately only Cricket NSW has embraced this concept.

It is an expensive exercise but considering that they knew that the World Cup was coming years ago, it may have been a worth while investment as a one off

Ive never heard people whinge so much about finishing 2nd and not hosting a final

Seems like a common sense decision to me to play it at Bellerive. It's the final, it deserves a suitable venue. Vics finished top so if they are happy with it...

The WA whingers sound like they'd prefer to play it at a substandard venue in Victoria *bottom lip quivers* b-b-b-because the rules say. You sound like 8 year olds.

My point is tho, it wasn't that long ago that the Shield final was played there. I don't see how it could suddenly become unacceptable for a 5 day game. Unless they've started digging it up for upgrades.
The standards came into force only a few years ago. 2012 maybe? No FC cricket has been played at Junction since that time. Nor ListA. The world cup wam-up games were not even ListA matches, and as western royboy has mentioned, ListA requirements are less than FC ones - particularly with regards to practice facilites (i.e. substantial amounts of nets).
I haven't been able to source those standards either, but do recall it being mentioned some years back when first introduced that many venues would no longer meet FC requirements. Plenty of grounds which have hosted FC matches are no longer capable of doing so under the relatively new rules. There is only one venue in each of Vic and Tas which meet the requirements for FC. Not sure in WA. For ListA, Vic may have a couple of others. I don't believe Tas does have any others even at that level (maybe York Park with the drop in, but its highly doubtful that Australia's original FC venue qualifies; but as the comp is held in NSW and maybe Qld and tour games barely exist any more that doesn't matter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is an expensive exercise but considering that they knew that the World Cup was coming years ago, it may have been a worth while investment as a one off
No hope in hell of getting a payback on it - outside of melbourne, very few if any clubs would have maintained turf wicket practice blocks and virtually none would be off the main ground.

When looking at upgrades you need to have multiple use to get funding from anyone. Turf wicket nets aren't usable by anyone else except cricketers. Why sink $120k on the off chance (1 in 6) that you need to use it in a place that it will never get used again?

Seems like a common sense decision to me to play it at Bellerive. It's the final, it deserves a suitable venue. Vics finished top so if they are happy with it...

The WA whingers sound like they'd prefer to play it at a substandard venue in Victoria *bottom lip quivers* b-b-b-because the rules say. You sound like 8 year olds.

Thanks very much

The standards came into force only a few years ago. 2012 maybe? No FC cricket has been played at Junction since that time. Nor ListA. The world cup wam-up games were not even ListA matches, and as western royboy has mentioned, ListA requirements are less than FC ones - particularly with regards to practice facilites (i.e. substantial amounts of nets).
I haven't been able to source those standards either, but do recall it being mentioned some years back when first introduced that many venues would no longer meet FC requirements. Plenty of grounds which have hosted FC matches are no longer capable of doing so under the relatively new rules. There is only one venue in each of Vic and Tas which meet the requirements for FC. Not sure in WA. For ListA, Vic may have a couple of others. I don't believe Tas does have any others even at that level (maybe York Park with the drop in, but its highly doubtful that Australia's original FC venue qualifies; but as the comp is held in NSW and maybe Qld and tour games barely exist any more that doesn't matter).

The old TCA ground doesn't?

A pity. I think cricket will benefit from taking a few shield games a year to the country- which per capita produces a disproportionately high number of cricketers.

Unfortunately only Cricket NSW has embraced this concept.
I like the idea of it as well, but Victoria is nowhere near as big geographically as NSW and probably more importantly, we don't have the room or the foresight to plan for things like Turf Nets off the ground. Our best hope is in the proposed upgrade of the Eastern Oval in Ballarat which hosted a game in the 1992 World Cup.

The old TCA ground doesn't?
With the additional demands for player facilities, umpire and officials facilities, CCTV, etc, I would very much doubt that a venue last used for (mens) ListA/FC games in the mid-1980s would be adequate. It may still have the practice facilities required for FC games but other faciliites probably do not meet requirements dor T20, ListA or FC matches.

Launceston's NTCA would not, as many of the nets appear to have been replaced with artifical turf and again was last used for FC games quite a while back (all Shield games were centralised in Hobart when OptusVision/C7 had pay-TV rights and have never been moved since) so may lack other facilities. Even ListA games have not been played there for a while. I assume, but do not know, the indoor nets are still available and still up to scratch.

I doubt that bike track venues meet requirements either, regardless of player and officials facilities, ruling out both West Park and Devonport Oval. Although West Park may have hosted a ListA game after the rules were brought in.

York Park might for ListA, if the nets at neighbouring Invermay Park are enough (highly doubtful). Even then there are no indoor facilities so would probably be ruled out of FC games. Probably nothing more than T20 would be allowe anyway, and certainly the NTCA and Launceston City Council are only trying for T20 (which they rightly will not get, apart from anything else who from Launceston wants to watch a team named Hobart?).

We knew we would host the world cup six years ago. Cricket Victoria thus knew that the MCG would be unavailable for February and March 2015.

Everyone in the country knew the MCG would host the final or at minimum the semi finals. It's got nearly twice the capacity of any other cricket ground in Australia or New Zealand.

I'm going to back the western royboy 's timeline for the new first class standards coming in around three years ago

Which will mean that roughly years ago, Cricket Victoria knew that they would not have access to the MCG for the second half of this shield season and that the Junction Oval would not be a valid alternative.

If CV had wanted to do so, they had ample time to prepare another ground in Victoria for this shield season.

Bumpswithagrin - the rule does not say anything about a world cup.
It says if the hosting state can not provide a venue, the team that finishes second will get to host.

Given how long Cricket Victoria have had to prepare for this, they can't use the unavailability of the MCG as an excuse to be exempted from the rule
Chances of hosting the final are 1 in 6, ok 1 in 5, the SACA's are virtually irrelevant. CV have been lobbying the last three State Governments for at least that long for a stand alone facility upgrade at the Junction. Unfortunately, the ALP got turfed out when it looked a goer, the Libs wanted St Kilda FC in it as well, the AFL having already shelled out money for Seaford quite rightly backed off and so finally with the ALP back in we have the go ahead on the Junction to turn it into an equivalent Allan Border Field.

To burn money on a 1 in 5 chance for five to six days of use just doesn't make sense. I used to prepare funding submissions in a past life, I could usually find an angle or a multi use for anything, I am a cricket person first and foremost but I couldn't justify a submission to upgrade an oval for a one off.

Chances of hosting the final are 1 in 6, ok 1 in 5, the SACA's are virtually irrelevant. CV have been lobbying the last three State Governments for at least that long for a stand alone facility upgrade at the Junction. Unfortunately, the ALP got turfed out when it looked a goer, the Libs wanted St Kilda FC in it as well, the AFL having already shelled out money for Seaford quite rightly backed off and so finally with the ALP back in we have the go ahead on the Junction to turn it into an equivalent Allan Border Field.

To burn money on a 1 in 5 chance for five to six days of use just doesn't make sense. I used to prepare funding submissions in a past life, I could usually find an angle or a multi use for anything, I am a cricket person first and foremost but I couldn't justify a submission to upgrade an oval for a one off.

I don't disagree with this at all. Which is why I find it truly incredible that Wagga Wagga has a first class standard ground

not going to read all of the thread, but just shows what it wrong with cricket in Victoria. no faculties due to AFL.

Its killing the game up there, as they dont produce the quality of cricketers u expect from Australia's 2nd biggest state. the good news out of all of this mess is that the state government will keep the Saints well clear of the Junction Oval now you would think, which should help Australian cricket in the long run.

We knew we would host the world cup six years ago. Cricket Victoria thus knew that the MCG would be unavailable for February and March 2015.

Everyone in the country knew the MCG would host the final or at minimum the semi finals. It's got nearly twice the capacity of any other cricket ground in Australia or New Zealand.

I'm going to back the western royboy 's timeline for the new first class standards coming in around three years ago

Which will mean that roughly years ago, Cricket Victoria knew that they would not have access to the MCG for the second half of this shield season and that the Junction Oval would not be a valid alternative.

If CV had wanted to do so, they had ample time to prepare another ground in Victoria for this shield season.

Bumpswithagrin - the rule does not say anything about a world cup.
It says if the hosting state can not provide a venue, the team that finishes second will get to host.

Given how long Cricket Victoria have had to prepare for this, they can't use the unavailability of the MCG as an excuse to be exempted from the rule
Why would they on the off chance of hosting a final risk losing a project they have been wanting done for years? What has it been 6 years since cv hosted a final? So for a 16% chance would they risk 30-40 million dollars in funding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back