Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I went to listen to a red indian elder speak because I was interested in what they knew and shared. At question time an aboriginal asked him why they didn't hate the white american. The indian looked at him with such compassion it knocked me out. He said we have walked the trail of a thousand tears and we have learnt to go forward we have to hold hands and share. Hate stands in the way of the healing process. Goodes needs to bring something better.
Who does Goodes hate now?

1) I don't think I have a message. I have a personal dislike to just this one indigenous person. And no I am not knowingly aligning myself to racists. How absurd... They are clearly hiding behind the majority which is wrong and cowardly of them, still they are completely responsible for their own actions.

My analogy here -- Our military fight wars, we kill foreign militaries in wars. Our reasoning is ugly but understood and justified (majority booing, non racial). But if a solitary solider knowingly kills civilians outside of the scope of war he will be charged with murder, or war crimes in some cases (minority booing, racial).

2) There is little systemic racism to speak of. There is lower socio-economic turmoil that is a result of remote areas + poverty. Which affects whites too. It sucks for certain and once upon a time it may have been racially motivated from power structures in racist eras (1800's to 1950's), but those days began to end 50 years ago and the nation faced its demons then and has already been progressing to better outcomes each generation.

Can't throw the kitchen sink at these problems all at once, no silver bullet here, because we are a fiscally responsible nation.
I don't know how to discuss this any further when we are so far apart on what I consider basic facts. Systemic racism did not end in the 1950s, well known policies such as taking aboriginal children from their families continued into the 70s and even policies today disproportionately target and affect Abrorigines.

You acknowledge the role poverty plays in disadvantage but seem unwilling to accept that part of the reason so many Aboriginal people might be in poverty is because of the specific policies of the recent past.

Think of it as a race in which one person has his legs tied together. Halfway through, you realise this is unfair and untie the person's legs. But then you just restart the race with the other person allowed to keep his lead. You don't restart it, you just blame the first guy for not being fast enough to catch up.

Once I went to listen to a red indian elder speak because I was interested in what they knew and shared. At question time an aboriginal asked him why they didn't hate the white american. The indian looked at him with such compassion it knocked me out. He said we have walked the trail of a thousand tears and we have learnt to go forward we have to hold hands and share. Hate stands in the way of the healing process. Goodes needs to bring something better.
Utter bile.
You mean Goodes needs to bring something better according to my vanilla view of the world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Racism has a face… it was a 13yo girl… not her fault… she's still so innocent. I don't put any blame on her. Unfortunately, it's what she hears. It's the environment she's grown up in that's made her think it's okay to call people names… She would have no idea how it makes anyone feel about calling them an ape. It was just name-calling which she was doing… ...She's uneducated. If she wants to pick up the phone and call me and apologise, I'll take that phone call. And I'll have a conversation with her… "You know what? You called me a name and this is how it made me feel."
You are an idiot if you can't acknowledge the rest of his speech where he shamed the girl and suggested she call him to apologise
I don't deny he "blames her environment" but if he truly had no beef with the girl, then he wouldn't have asked for her apology.

He didn't ask for her apology but he offered to accept it if she called and to explain to her why her words were hurtful. Understanding is the first step in reconciliation.

"If she wants to pick up the phone and call me and apologise, I'll take that phone call"

Utter bile.
You mean Goodes needs to bring something better according to my vanilla view of the world?

It is true I would have white person's perspective. But what? does this make me racist? What goodes has to bring is personal responsibility same as everyone. Some elders' wisdom. Something for everyone. Not his same old same old.

Another example of the far too common perception that the minority must act appropriately or be scorned.
Another example of applying 'minority' status as a shield.

It is fair for people to interpret a player seeking out opposition supporters with an exuberant post goal celebration when the match has entered junk time, to look like a tool.

He is free to do the celebration and people should be free to think he looked foolish because of the match circumstances without having the racist/bigot card thrown at them.

If this was not directed at Carlton fans there would probably not be a much of a story outside of a newsreel highlight.

It is true I would have white person's perspective. But what? does this make me racist? What goodes has to bring is personal responsibility same as everyone. Some elders' wisdom. Something for everyone. Not his same old same old.
Haha Goodes has received nothing but praise from indigenous leaders.

I did not mean vanilla as in white I meant vanilla as in plain or not different. Adam Goodes expressing his cultural heritage to dance only adds to the flavours in Australian society. You should try a big helping of what he is dishing out you may just like it.

Its like people supporting Goodes in this thread want the whole of Australia to admit they are racist or something. Im sorry to burst your bubble, but being an absolute crap person results in the public not having a great love for them.

Theres no evidence of racism, no one was even called out for being racist towards him . Again 2 other aboriginal players for the swans were not booed , so its most definitely not about racism.

The supporters of Goodes are quite good @ providing non facts to play out an emotional story of him being targeted for his skin colour. When clearly its because his personality is so unlikeable that SOME of the Australian public cant stomach him and continue to let him know his actions on the field aren't going unsighted or are well received.

Its like people supporting Goodes in this thread want the whole of Australia to admit they are racist or something. Im sorry to burst your bubble, but being an absolute crap person results in the public not having a great love for them.

Theres no evidence of racism, no one was even called out for being racist towards him . Again 2 other aboriginal players for the swans were not booed , so its most definitely not about racism.

The supporters of Goodes are quite good @ providing non facts to play out an emotional story of him being targeted for his skin colour. When clearly its because his personality is so unlikeable that SOME of the Australian public cant stomach him and continue to let him know his actions on the field aren't going unsighted or are well received.
How is he unlikeable?

How is he unlikeable?

Diving,
Self involved attitude (dating back to the pies vs swans games where we would watch him gather 30 posises and do nothing with it)
Victim mentality
Dirty acts on the field , sliding with knees first.

Ill note I could care less about his skin colour , I dislike Stevie J on the same levels for mostly the same reasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. You kill me.
Happens every Friday and Saturday night back in Fiji with every dance troupe working for the tourist dollar in your cheesy 3 star hotel. And I have never seen one Aussie ever stand up and boo the performer. Maybe we only get the gutless ones over there? Or maybe the gutless ones stay home and boo their own?

So it's a dance troupe working in a tourist hotel; all dressed up in relevant garb too I'm assuming?

So, not really related to the scenario I was proposing at all. Err ... okay then.

Another example of applying 'minority' status as a shield.

It is fair for people to interpret a player seeking out opposition supporters with an exuberant post goal celebration when the match has entered junk time, to look like a tool.

He is free to do the celebration and people should be free to think he looked foolish because of the match circumstances without having the racist/bigot card thrown at them.

If this was not directed at Carlton fans there would probably not be a much of a story outside of a newsreel highlight.
If the Carlton fans hadn't gone off like a frog in a sock it would not be much of a story, either.

It's not about him doing a celebration in honour of some young kids who taught it to him. It's about how people who witnessed it felt. And some of them felt uncomfortable. They didn't like that one bit. And they are still bawling.

If the Carlton fans hadn't gone off like a frog in a sock it would not be much of a story, either.

It's not about him doing a celebration in honour of some young kids who taught it to him. It's about how people who witnessed it felt. And some of them felt uncomfortable. They didn't like that one bit. And they are still bawling.

What? The Carlton supporters were for the most part, laughing, smiling or staring in bewilderment at what had taken place. I think one bloke may have gestured back..he probably got arrested.

let me get this straight, majority of people on this boards opinion is that an aboriginal man should not be allowed to express his passion for his own culture where non-indigenous people have to be subjected to it. A culture that has been here for roughly 50,000 years longer than democracy and white people. All this in INDIGENOUS ROUND. A round designated for celebrating indigenous culture.
I hope next week that every Indigenous player to take the field does the same dance at the start of the game

I don't know how to discuss this any further when we are so far apart on what I consider basic facts. Systemic racism did not end in the 1950s, well known policies such as taking aboriginal children from their families continued into the 70s and even policies today disproportionately target and affect Abrorigines.

You acknowledge the role poverty plays in disadvantage but seem unwilling to accept that part of the reason so many Aboriginal people might be in poverty is because of the specific policies of the recent past.

Think of it as a race in which one person has his legs tied together. Halfway through, you realise this is unfair and untie the person's legs. But then you just restart the race with the other person allowed to keep his lead. You don't restart it, you just blame the first guy for not being fast enough to catch up.

So the billions of dollars in funding that we (rightly) pour into Indigenous welfare every year is a reflection of our...racism....lack of compassion....unwillingness to help indigenous people get back in to the race.....?

2) There is little systemic racism to speak of. There is lower socio-economic turmoil that is a result of remote areas + poverty. Which affects whites too. It sucks for certain and once upon a time it may have been racially motivated from power structures in racist eras (1800's to 1950's), but those days began to end 50 years ago and the nation faced its demons then and has already been progressing to better outcomes each generation.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA, pack it up, racism is over folks!

This has to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read on Bigfooty!

I did not mean vanilla as in white I meant vanilla as in plain or not different. Adam Goodes expressing his cultural heritage to dance only adds to the flavours in Australian society. You should try a big helping of what he is dishing out you may just like it.

I get you re the vanilla reference. Is this thread still about goodes dance. I thought it had moved on. I thought it had become a conversation about racism in general. I commented on his dance during the game day thread. I said he looked like an ape the way he was moving.

Diving,
Self involved attitude (dating back to the pies vs swans games where we would watch him gather 30 posises and do nothing with it)
Victim mentality

Ill note I could care less about his skin colour , I dislike Stevie J on the same levels for mostly the same reasons

I left this thread at about 170 pages. We're now at 184 with zero evidence to support the fans booing of Adam Goodes is racist.

Keep going guys! You can make it to 200!

This isn't a court of law.

If you boo along with the cretins, then people are going to assume you're racist, because that's how it started. To pretend that you might be treated differently because you're actually not racist like all the people around you is naiive and stupid.

No. Just no. It's been stated about 1000 times... Adam Goodes was bood earlier in his career than ever speaking on indigenous issues. He has a body of evidence of being a stage, a diver, a whinger to umps, and afl golden boy protected species well before 2013. If there is a racist element it followed the non-racial booing history of Goodes. Therefor non-racial booing of Goodes is perfectly valid. No person is above criticism.

Glad that Leigh Matthews stood up to say that in face of possibly being judged racist. Took courage now you look back on 2008 comments..

Diving,
Victim mentality

Standing up for his people, and uncovering racist attitudes is more important than what you think of him as a footballer. Footy is important and great sure, but he is using it as a platform to send a much more important message and good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back