Play Nice Richmond, set to become the biggest club in Australia, now with 100K members

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I don't really care about all the 'biggest club' stuff.

But the Sydney 'support' is clearly a very soft number...Ask a random in NSW which club they support and it'd be Sydney, but if you qualify the support on things like having seen a game, and wanting to see more, I think a lot of those numbers would drop off (let alone providing support in any financial level).

As for your opinion of neutrals support of the Tigers, I think a look at most match threads will disabuse you of that notion. There seems to be a lot of hate out there...

Well I like watching your Tigers mate when they are up and about.

Honestly, I don't really care about all the 'biggest club' stuff.

But the Sydney 'support' is clearly a very soft number...Ask a random in NSW which club they support and it'd be Sydney, but if you qualify the support on things like having seen a game, and wanting to see more, I think a lot of those numbers would drop off (let alone providing support in any financial level).

As for your opinion of neutrals support of the Tigers, I think a look at most match threads will disabuse you of that notion. There seems to be a lot of hate out there...

Not sure there is soft support for Adelaide or West Coast though. Sydney yes I agree.

Not sure there is soft support for Adelaide or West Coast though. Sydney yes I agree.

I agree WCE would be the biggest club for 'solid' support.

Adelaide, not so sure...SA is about 1.6M people...say 1M support Adelaide...Some Vic clubs would be close to that (Vic clubs also tend to have more support outside of Vic).

I agree WCE would be the biggest club for 'solid' support.

Adelaide, not so sure...SA is about 1.6M people...say 1M support Adelaide...Some Vic clubs would be close to that (Vic clubs also tend to have more support outside of Vic).

The only real test for support is the number of people that care enough to rock up to a game.

The rest are excuses

racist fair weather supporter. the best kind. here is your membership. join the kkklan
I suspect you arent the full quid mate.

I've been a member for 30 years. When was this fairweather you speak of?

As for racism, that's more of a WA thing I hear.

Richmond are not set to become the biggest club in Australia. Article should read 'Richmond challenging Collingwood and Hawthorn to record the biggest membership in the AFL'.

Really, we're a long way off Collingwood and Essendon in size/support (of the Victorian clubs). The biggest ever AFL/VFL season aggregate is Collingwood (1.3 million in 2010). We'll be pushing 1.1 million at best this year (which Collingwood has achieved 11 times, Essendon 4 times). We're probably about on par in Victoria with Carlton.

Tigers are miles behind Pies and Bombers on a national level. No success during national era means very few interstate fans compared to those two.
Tigers can match Pies, Bombers & Hawks in Melbourne but not nationwide.
If the big three for membership finish as expected (Hawks 1-2, Tigers 5-8, Pies 10-11), then membership numbers next year will be simialar to this year.
1 Pies
2 Hawks
3 Tigers
Crowds numbers are more variable based on who plays MCG v big Vic clubs.

That's convenient.

You play all of yours in Tasmania.
How is that convenient?
It's rather inconvenient actually - you have to get a plane or a ferry.

It is the best way to compare clubs aeround Australia. If Crows draw 40K v Gold Coast, that is a direct comparable to any other club v Gold Coast.
Not fair to factor in game v Pies where they bring 40K to the MCG, but just a few thousand to AO or Subi!

Tigers are miles behind Pies and Bombers on a national level. No success during national era means very few interstate fans compared to those two. .

More excuses.

The AFL apportions the draw in a way to maximise the crowds. If clubs can draw crowds they get games that draw crowds. Its a key KPI of the AFL always has been and always will be.

There is not a conspiracy, it is simple demand and supply economics.

Funny how selling half of your home games into Tassie is now a strength of the Hawthorn brand lol

It only came about because you cannot compete with the big boys in Melbourne. This has been confirmed by the fcat that after back to back premierships you had to re extend your deal with Tasmania for another five years because you still aren't big enough to compete with the big boys in Melbourne.

Why do you think the magpies and the tigers haven't relocated? The answer is because they didn't have to, the hawks did have to so they did.

Its pretty simple really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is that convenient?
!

A ferry lol

Its convenient because it never happens.

When was the last time Hawthorn played Gold Coast at the MCG and what was the crowd?

I think banging on about individual crowds is stupid because there are millions or factors involved, fixturing, school holidays, weather, location, other sports/events on the same time etc etc. I still think overall Collingwood hold the biggest club atm and will for a while yet.

Something interesting to compare club sizes is facebook "likes". Richmond have a lot less than Collingwood and Essendon.

How is that convenient?

It is the best way to compare clubs aeround Australia. If Crows draw 40K v Gold Coast, that is a direct comparable to any other club v Gold Coast.
Not fair to factor in game v Pies where they bring 40K to the MCG, but just a few thousand to AO or Subi!

I guess that shows how Hawthorn as an organization look after their members! maybe a name change is in order? the hawthorn/northern Tasmanian hawks?? maybe one of your corporate affiliates or interstate governments could fund a bridge across bass strait for you instead of buying out membership packages!

the question I ask of you is would Hawthorn or any other AFL side have the same support as Richmond has if they didn't have the on field success much the same as Richmond has over the last 33 years?

I think banging on about individual crowds is stupid because there are millions or factors involved, fixturing, school holidays, weather, location, other sports/events on the same time etc etc. I still think overall Collingwood hold the biggest club atm and will for a while yet.

Something interesting to compare club sizes is facebook "likes". Richmond have a lot less than Collingwood and Essendon.

more excuses

What does it cost to give a facebook like?

I think Richmond could possibly become the biggest club in Victoria but Collingwood would be bigger overall because Collingwood seems to have a lot of fans everywhere.

West Coast should also be considered in terms of being the biggest club. Yes the fanbase is heavily concentrated in WA but it's pretty big and is probably the most underutilised fanbase in the country.

I think Richmond could possibly become the biggest club in Victoria but Collingwood would be bigger overall because Collingwood seems to have a lot of fans everywhere.

West Coast should also be considered in terms of being the biggest club. Yes the fanbase is heavily concentrated in WA but it's pretty big and is probably the most underutilised fanbase in the country.

It doesn't suit the Victorian media or public at large, or even the AFL itself, but there is little doubt in my mind that West Coast are the biggest club in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back