Analysis Where Does Rocky Sit Against The Leagues Best Mids?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been sensational ever since he had been able to play without that rib protector and played mostly in the middle again. Averaged 35.5 disposals, 12.6 contested possessions, Disposal Efficiency of 74%, 8.5 clearances, 9.3 tackles and 6 inside fifties a game since round 18. He is certainly captain material and leads by example on the field.

I thought it'd be interesting to discuss as some feel that he has no impact with his disposals, but I feel that he is somewhat damaging with them. Not in the same way as a Daniel Rich type but with his quick decision making and ability to give it off to a teammate in a better position. He rarely ever turns it over.

Just an all round clever and classy player. So where does he rank in the games best midfielders?

i feel this year his disposal has gone to another level, might just be me but he seems to always finds a target and always manages to get the quick hands when under immense pressure.

Last edited:
When he is at his best, not a whole lot better.

Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield out in front then a big bunch of players and he'd be in that
Dangerfield isn't in the same group as Ablett & Fyfe for mine, not anymore.

But agree that Rocky would be in the big bunch of players, same with Beams.

I'd class Rockliff and Beams as A-Grade players. But they're not Ablett, Fyfe and Dangerfield obviously.

Somewhere between 6 - 10 IMO.

Racks them up through sublime game sense, wins his own ball consistently, elite hands; amazing how he can use it congestion, generally uses it well by hand and foot, tackles like a maniac, offers leadership and motivation in spades, consistently sets up scoring opportunities with cleaning finishing into the forward 50 and can take a contested mark up forward.

Gun.

If he has a 2016 as good as his 2014 he'll move into the elite bracket IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rocky is way more consistent than Danger IMO but can't win a game off his own boot like Danger can. But clearly the best of that chasing pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rocky is way more consistent than Danger IMO but can't win a game off his own boot like Danger can. But clearly the best of that chasing pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, pretty sure we won one off his boot in 2012 v Adelaide ;)

Was very good today, made one handball mistake but definitely a strong finish to the season.

he isn't damaging :rolleyes:

biggest load of rubbish on Bigfooty. How often does he turn the ball over or give it to a player in a worse position than himself? I can't think of a time at all. His kicking reminds me of Luke Power, not a long penetrating kick but he can perfectly weight his kicks to advantage almost every single time he goes inside 50. To me that's damaging.

Last edited:
Had me going there. :p

2JrU4f6.gif

All this time luthor was Hammo...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back