Who replaces Will in the midfield rotation?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Cockatoo in full flight. He has been good in the vfl this year.
Yes he has been good and also looks in great physical shape, I am hoping Dev gets the spot but I would be excited to see how Nakia would go if given the opportunity.

Yes he has been good and also looks in great physical shape, I am hoping Dev get the spot but I would be excited to see how Nakia would go if given the opportunity.

I think we should try Cockatoo on the basis that we know what Dev will provide and this is really it in terms of being able to try out Cockatoo for a few rounds.

I just don't get the discussion about how ordinary Cam is or how good he's going to be.

The fact that we selected him at No 1 was not his decision . Likewise just because he's No 1 doesn't automatically guarantee he'll be a great player or even a good one . But the expectation is always there that he'll be better than what he is.

Unfortunately because he was No 1 we didn't drop him when we should've so he could've learnt more about himself and the struggles that unheralded players go through to establish themselves.

He's doing enough to keep his place in the team . If he's going to become a pivotal player for us then there's an opportunity there now and we'd certainly hope if not it happens in the next year or two. Otherwise he should just be judged on what he is and his value to the team.

I get the sense Rayner is readying himself for a massive finals series, just a feeling. I also think this entire side is about ready to explode, I don't think we've peaked yet.

I really do want to see Dev get the spot and show what he has as a inside mid which is what he was drafted as. Give him 3 weeks and tell him he's got three weeks. If at the end of that it isn't working, fine and we also don't need to re-sign him plus we can go back to Lyons or whatever else they want to do. We need to be planning for the now and the future and Dev is either a key part of that or not, but regardless we've been given a golden opportunity out of a bad situation to take advantage of it. It isn't like Dev hasn't been playing very well at VFL level either. Take the punt, you might find something special.

I get the sense Rayner is readying himself for a massive finals series, just a feeling. I also think this entire side is about ready to explode, I don't think we've peaked yet.
I dont agree whatsoever that sportspeople in any sport can just turn form on when it suits them - particulalry an individual player in any team sport across the sport. I think elite sprinters in Olympic final seem to go up a notch but not players in team sports.

I mean why wouldnt Cam want to have a massive home and away game any week and then expect to turn up in the finals. Of course 4-5 players in any game are going to be the best and have massive games, Cam included, but i just dont see that is readying himself or holding himself back at the moment - i mean some of that footage late in the Dees game by Cam was so poor for a 100 game player that why wasnt he readying himself for momenst such as that?

I dont agree whatsoever that sportspeople in any sport can just turn form on when it suits them - particulalry an individual player in any team sport across the sport. I think elite sprinters in Olympic final seem to go up a notch but not players in team sports.

I mean why wouldnt Cam want to have a massive home and away game any week and then expect to turn up in the finals. Of course 4-5 players in any game are going to be the best and have massive games, Cam included, but i just dont see that is readying himself or holding himself back at the moment - i mean some of that footage late in the Dees game by Cam was so poor for a 100 game player that why wasnt he readying himself for momenst such as that?
MJ but I agree. In team sports you don't want to let your teammates down.

Exactly this. I hope Cam turns it around. Has the talent but probably not the application. For a guy in the top pay bracket at the club you’d expect and want more…

Who said anything about it being a decision to do so and just doing it? A lot of assumptions in there. But there is a reason why some players are called big game players, because they step up when the game gets bigger, sometimes this is just an inate ability that they don't even know why it happens. Shane Warne was a great example of this. Luke Hodge another.

And I know there is this view around for some reason that Cam isn't going great but that is simply wrong.

I really do want to see Dev get the spot and show what he has as a inside mid which is what he was drafted as. Give him 3 weeks and tell him he's got three weeks. If at the end of that it isn't working, fine and we also don't need to re-sign him plus we can go back to Lyons or whatever else they want to do. We need to be planning for the now and the future and Dev is either a key part of that or not, but regardless we've been given a golden opportunity out of a bad situation to take advantage of it. It isn't like Dev hasn't been playing very well at VFL level either. Take the punt, you might find something special.

In my view Rayner operates like a role player whenever he's in the middle. Our midfield prime mover who has 100% license to chase the ball is Neale. It is always Neale from start to finish and credit to him he comes up with the ball more than most.

I've seen Port change it up this year where they let Horne-Francis be that prime mid to will himself through congestion and break open a midfield pack. He has license to trample through the field and use his frame/power to exit out of congestion without needing to worry about his opponent, defensive setups etc.

If we want to unlock Cam, I think the best way is to let him be that prime mid for certain % of center bounce and stoppage play. Just tell him to go hunt the ball like DeGoey and Horne-Francis, crash the pack open and see if you can get out the other side. No finesse, just use your powerful frame and see what you can do. He may get caught a few times but whenever he destroys the pack, it'll be decisive.

In my view Rayner operates like a role player whenever he's in the middle. Our midfield prime mover who has 100% license to chase the ball is Neale. It is always Neale from start to finish and credit to him he comes up with the ball more than most.

I've seen Port change it up this year where they let Horne-Francis be that prime mid to will himself through congestion and break open a midfield pack. He has license to trample through the field and use his frame/power to exit out of congestion without needing to worry about his opponent, defensive setups etc.

If we want to unlock Cam, I think the best way is to let him be that prime mid for certain % of center bounce and stoppage play. Just tell him to go hunt the ball like DeGoey and Horne-Francis, crash the pack open and see if you can get out the other side. No finesse, just use your powerful frame and see what you can do. He may get caught a few times but whenever he destroys the pack, it'll be decisive.

This is my frustration that whenever he does go in for a centre bounce he always just trails his opponent. Seems a long way off knowing how to balance offence and defence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my frustration that whenever he does go in for a centre bounce he always just trails his opponent. Seems a long way off knowing how to balance offence and defence
Could also be down to practise as well. Not knowing where he needs to be positioned and how his teammates are moving etc.

It really is an indicment on Rayner that Ashcroft has done more in his 18 games than Cam has in over 100 games, not to mention more influential, consistent etc. W/O a shadow of doubt that all those no.1's taken after him and younger are far each superior with a year and years less experience. I hope Cam can come good sometime soon b/c all we ever hear are excuses and justifications of this and that.

Give it a break, please.

Could also be down to practise as well. Not knowing where he needs to be positioned and how his teammates are moving etc.

Needs more learnings:D

Looks like we will be spreading the load based on selection this week. I'm ok with that.
Maybe not. Ashcroft attendance at center square I believe was about 40%. That would be about Rayner's current capacity, so a straight swap may be on the card, with Lohman slotting in Rayner's role.

History shows us Fages is "Keep it Simple" type of a guy. No need to over-complicate the system now. It has worked for the past four years so keep on rolling with what is working.

I'm just curious how the CBAs are orchestrated - is this done on game day by the coaching staff or left to senior players like Neale and Dunkley to manage?

I'm just curious how the CBAs are orchestrated - is this done on game day by the coaching staff or left to senior players like Neale and Dunkley to manage?

I've read somewhere Jarryd Lyons is our center bounce strategist.
Guessing he does it as part of planning and then leaves it for seniors to manage.

In the preseason games when you can see the teamboard board it looks like each player has a set rotation.

Guessing for Dunkley and Neale when they're on the field they take centre bounces. Maybe for Clug and Ashcroft it was a set rotation to the forward flank

I've read somewhere Jarryd Lyons is our center bounce strategist.
Guessing he does it as part of planning and then leaves it for seniors to manage.
What is Cameron Bruce’s role as midfield coach then, if Lyons is sorting that out in the background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back