zorkoooooooooo

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Central Districts
We're pretty lucky to have two genuienly good ruckmen at our club. Obviously O is the man and we all adore him, but man Darcy Fort was impressive every time he played this year. Reckon he's a better tap ruckman and obviously a weapon as a forward.

But O is better around the ground, bashes and crashes, takes big clunks, does Clark Keating stuff

Do we play both next year, especially now that Dan is McLeaving?

Who's the preferred #1 ruck amongst people on this forum?

Who the ruck?
A good question at this very early stage of 2023 team selection
If Jo goes in for shoulder surgery he most likely gives relief ruck a miss. Or he will be fine shoulder wise not necessarly ruck wise
The obvious choices for most is Oscar and Fort. Could work but makes us a bit slow
I think Fullarton is more mobile so he may fit in if he has continued improvement. That's if they extend his contract

From the VFL Henry Smith (turns 20 tomorrow) over Kalin Lane (turns 21 in December) on this years form. But both young and no AFL experienced

The club may trade someone in to fill the role. So, we will have to wait till trade period over.

I think the ruck role is continuing to evolve along with the game. The more a ruckman can play like an extra midfielder or forward or roll back defensively, the more useful they become.

The difficulty obviously is getting the right combination of:

• pure height
  • strength
  • technical ability in the ruck contest
  • aggression and competitiveness
  • endurance
  • skill below the knees
  • tactical and positional nous
  • marking ability, especially in contests
  • quick reflexes, good hands.
  • kicking ability

Some of those can be taught, trained or improved and others can’t.

Of the five I would see this order as current or potential ruckmen:

Oscar - well established, durable and reliable. Surprisingly good as an extra midfielder. A little old school ruck style but effective.

Darcy - very effective in the ruck, can get lost a little up forward but works hard. Just shaded by Oscar in overall impact at the moment.

Tommy - athletically possibly the best and cleanest hands. Not as aggressive and competitive but certainly improving in that regard. Really hope we keep developing him. I think the secret is to get Tom to play on the edge more. He is a little safe and conservative but have seen brief moments at VFL level where he just makes things happen. More a forward/ruck than a ruck/forward I think.

Henry - huge development in the last season. Very high hopes he has a breakout VFL season next year. Could develop just above his current level and then stop, or could go on to be a top level ruck/ forward.

Kalin - development stalled a little with some injuries. A big year ahead. Seems to have the right tools but just has to have an impact. Wouldn’t write him off yet.

I think the ruck role is continuing to evolve along with the game. The more a ruckman can play like an extra midfielder or forward or roll back defensively, the more useful they become.

The difficulty obviously is getting the right combination of:

• pure height
  • strength
  • technical ability in the ruck contest
  • aggression and competitiveness
  • endurance
  • skill below the knees
  • tactical and positional nous
  • marking ability, especially in contests
  • quick reflexes, good hands.
  • kicking ability

Some of those can be taught, trained or improved and others can’t.

Of the five I would see this order as current or potential ruckmen:

Oscar - well established, durable and reliable. Surprisingly good as an extra midfielder. A little old school ruck style but effective.

Darcy - very effective in the ruck, can get lost a little up forward but works hard. Just shaded by Oscar in overall impact at the moment.

Tommy - athletically possibly the best and cleanest hands. Not as aggressive and competitive but certainly improving in that regard. Really hope we keep developing him. I think the secret is to get Tom to play on the edge more. He is a little safe and conservative but have seen brief moments at VFL level where he just makes things happen. More a forward/ruck than a ruck/forward I think.

Henry - huge development in the last season. Very high hopes he has a breakout VFL season next year. Could develop just above his current level and then stop, or could go on to be a top level ruck/ forward.

Kalin - development stalled a little with some injuries. A big year ahead. Seems to have the right tools but just has to have an impact. Wouldn’t write him off yet.
HSmith will be the one to go on just scratching the surface of where he will be in two years.

Since we’re probably not going to play 2 ruckman (as we would be too tall and not enough run / pressure) I think our best move would be to rotate and rest Big O and Fort throughout the season.

It would have a few upsides
  • means they are both match fit and ready to go should one go down at any stage
  • rucking is obviously bruising and if we had one ruck for the whole season, they would be cooked come finals time when the pressure goes up

I feel like a big factor in our 3 peat success was that Clark Keating was probably our best ruckman but not durable to last the entire season. Inadvertently because he had so many injuries during the regular season, he probably got the rest and recovery he needed to be at the top of his game come September

With anything AFL, there is always alot of plagiarism, and in this I mean copying and adapting ideas from other clubs. Some work, some don't. I think we will now see, after the Cats and Blicavs, teams will start, if they haven't already, to develop the not as tall (195-200cm) more mobile, ground getting ruckman, or the old ruck-rover, who is overly tall
We saw that with McGone in the Richmond final, arguable his best game for the lions. Yes, it was unplanned, but he played the game of his life. So who do we have? It could be Fullarton, but is/would be still a work in progress that won't come to fruition for another 2-3 years. Is there anybody else? Gunston won't be the 2nd string ruck, and I don't they will risk Joe there next year.

Last edited:
With anything AFL, there is always alot of plagiarism, and in this I mean copying and adapting ideas from other clubs. Some work, some don't. I think we will now see, after the Cats and Blicavs, teams will start, if they haven't already, to develop the not as tall (195-200cm) more mobile, ground getting ruckman, or the old ruck-rover, who is overly tall
We saw that with McGone in the Richmond final, arguable his best game for the lions. Yes, it was unplanned, but he played the game of his life. So who do we have? It could be Fullarton, but is/would be still a work in progress that won't come to fruition for another 2-3 years. Is there anybody else? Gunston won't be the 2nd string ruck, and I don't they will risk Joe there next year.
Billy Richardson from our academy might have that potential.

Was named ruck at the under 16 Championship.

I have liked him in defence at U17 level.

I’m not sure on his overall athleticism, to run through the midfield.

Billy Richardson from our academy might have that potential.

Was named ruck at the under 16 Championship.

I have liked him in defence at U17 level.

I’m not sure on his overall athleticism, to run through the midfield.
Billy looked good in that U17 match. His disposal by hand and foot was very good with great vision.
Is he draftable next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy looked good in that U17 match. His disposal by hand and foot was very good with great vision.
Is he draftable next year?
I missed that game unfortunately (bloody work). And I haven’t been able to find a replay yet.

Next year is his draft year, and from my viewing, he’s a potential second round talent.

That said, I haven’t seen a lot of next years crop, but everything on the draft board and from Twomey’s reporting, is that next year looks to be a strong and deep crop, especially with a few of the U17 SA and WA kids outperforming the U18 kids at colts level this year. (A few of the best WA kids didn’t play in the U17 game, as they stayed in Perth to play the Colts GF).

We need a more mobile second ruck option. Someone who can play both back and forward if needed. I think 2 big slow rucks in the team will hold us back moving forward.

It's a pity Blicavs types don't grow on trees. Would love a similar player as our number 2.

Very good below his knees. If anything, his weakness is actually ruck contests (and perhaps contested marking, although he may have improved a bit this year at that).

I think he's going to have to really kick on next season to have our team improve. I see him playing a fair bit of footy if we don't bring in any other talls

Said it before, but what I'd give for a Mitch Clark type back up ruck - less the off field stuff lol
And hopefully get more than one motivated year out of them, unlike Mitch.

Back