Team Mgmt. Laverde, Langford or Fantasia

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at all these people trying to be rational and keeping a lid on it. Let's be honest. We think all 3 are going to be stars and we know deep down that Dodoro has owned the last 2, possibly 3 years in the draft.

I think Laverde is the only one who could eventually develop into a truly elite midfielder.
Hello Aaron.
Do you think Essendon will actually pick you up buddy?
I hope we do, I love it when we pick up passionate players.

I think we need to gather a true onballer in this draft a d i think its why Parish then Oliver are top of our list.

Z.Merrett doesnt have a great tank and not sure he ever will. Laverde also the same i believe hes also a bit forward flankish come midfielder. Fantasia, Langford, Edwards arent midfielders. We have Heppell who will run all day for some time, he was drafted some time ago, we need another one of him this year. A true onballer who can run all day that allows you to play the guys that dont have big engines to be able to play onball. A mix is good.

I think we need to gather a true onballer in this draft a d i think its why Parish then Oliver are top of our list.

Z.Merrett doesnt have a great tank and not sure he ever will. Laverde also the same i believe hes also a bit forward flankish come midfielder. Fantasia, Langford, Edwards arent midfielders. We have Heppell who will run all day for some time, he was drafted some time ago, we need another one of him this year. A true onballer who can run all day that allows you to play the guys that dont have big engines to be able to play onball. A mix is good.

How can you say that Z.merrett doesn't have a big tank - All indications are Merrett's tank is good.

How can you say that Z.merrett doesn't have a big tank - All indications are Merrett's tank is good.
Howd he go in the 1-4 yr players who ran a 3km time trial? Struggled from what ive seen.

Its okay-good without being spectacular. You can carry one or two especially onball but not an entire midfield. I wouldn't think the starting midfield of Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli would be that great endurance wise but Smith and Hill on the wing go all day

Howd he go in the 1-4 yr players who ran a 3km time trial? Struggled from what ive seen.

Its okay-good without being spectacular. You can carry one or two especially onball but not an entire midfield. I wouldn't think the starting midfield of Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli would be that great endurance wise but Smith and Hill on the wing go all day

Time trial results don't always equate to how a player runs out games. Merrett went head to head with Brad Hill in the first Hawks game and touched him up. His running ability is fine.

Time trials, agility, vertical jumps, sprint times are a guide - They don't always translate into how a player performs on the field - Because all the previously mentioned skills are performed in a non-game situation - Hurley performed poorly in the 20m sprint test, yet speed has never been an issue in Hurley's performance - Stanton blitzes TT's but doesn't always finish off seasons well.

I dunno about you guys, but something that isn't taken into account when taking about "being able to run out games", I have always found in sports, that my cardio has been s**t I'm training, but the moment my mind is in a game, I forget that I'm actually running about so much, and run games out better than I probably should. Does this come into play at a professional level?

Time trials, agility, vertical jumps, sprint times are a guide - They don't always translate into how a player performs on the field - Because all the previously mentioned skills are performed in a non-game situation - Hurley performed poorly in the 20m sprint test, yet speed has never been an issue in Hurley's performance - Stanton blitzes TT's but doesn't always finish off seasons well.

I could probably beat Ryder in a time trial but he was always running on top of the ground late in matches.

I could probably beat Ryder in a time trial but he was always running on top of the ground late in matches.
Thats when he didnt push himself earlier.

Do we just discard fitness levels then when drafting midfielders?

Stanton doesnt play with injury well. Hurleys speed was never an issue was over talked hes improved his speed since joining the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno about you guys, but something that isn't taken into account when taking about "being able to run out games", I have always found in sports, that my cardio has been s**t I'm training, but the moment my mind is in a game, I forget that I'm actually running about so much, and run games out better than I probably should. Does this come into play at a professional level?
I imagine it would in some sense. It's like when you get a second wind when you know you can take a bounce, or that extra burst when you're close to a contest. It's all relative to how your mind and instincts interact; kicking the footy in the backyard with some mates, feeling pretty knackered, you're probably not gonna sprint to the ball.
Your mind's gonna be like, 'mate come on, what are you doing ******* walk'
But in a game of footy, instinctive desire for the contest will overcome your mind, and keep you pushing until the end, even without consciously knowing you're exhausting yourself beyond usual standards.
* I got no idea what I'm talking about. Needa chop another mix to decipher. brb

I imagine it would in some sense. It's like when you get a second wind when you know you can take a bounce, or that extra burst when you're close to a contest. It's all relative to how your mind and instincts interact; kicking the footy in the backyard with some mates, feeling pretty knackered, you're probably not gonna sprint to the ball.
Your mind's gonna be like, 'mate come on, what are you doing ******* walk'
But in a game of footy, instinctive desire for the contest will overcome your mind, and keep you pushing until the end, even without consciously knowing you're exhausting yourself beyond usual standards.
**** I got no idea what I'm talking about. Needa chop another mix to decipher. brb
Can we celebrate this guy's 420th post?

This is a good thread, and will be good to bump for a couple seasons yet.

For mine, at this point I'd go with

1 Orazio. Not just because of current form, but from general observations on his devolpment this year he has some seriously useful tools in his kit. Speed. Agility. Some defensive ability. Creativity. Mental acuity. Tenacity, bravery, etc etc. I see Raz injury permitting as not just being a very good player for us but as being something special [not in the creepy Bruce way]

2,3 Langers and Lav
I cant split em [still!]at this point. I think Langford has done a lot of [often under appreciated around here] development this year, but has played more as well. It is still early to say, and hard to quantify, but I think both will play a lot of midfield minutes and will be 'pretty ******* decent' as they say in the industry.
FWIW, I think Redman will be a more successful forward than either of those 2 [tho both will prove to be useful].
Will be fun to check back in at about round 3 next year, post another preseason.

All three look the goods.

If I was forced to choose, maybe I'd go Laverde - but sold on all three.

542.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back