When will Alastair Clarkson get the credit he deserves?

Remove this Banner Ad

The in vogue term these days is coward's punch. And rightly so.

Moderately fine exhibition of deflection thereafter though.
LOL

Still bent out of shape over a punch thrown by a nineteen year old 6-game newbie back in 1987 ?? That was nearly 30 years ago… Rhys-Jones and Buckley punched the suitcase out of Clarko for the remainder of the game, then had a beer with him afterwards. They were a couple of stand-up guys who played for Carlton. Respected premiership Navy Blue heroes. You haven't had too many of them since then, have you? You're club has became a haven for soft, pea hearted squibs.

Interesting that Carlton signed a Clarkson protege to be their coach. Maybe Brendan Bolton will rescue your club.

LOL

Still bent out of shape over a punch thrown by a nineteen year old 6-game newbie back in 1987 ?? That was nearly 30 years ago… Rhys-Jones and Buckley punched the suitcase out of Clarko for the remainder of the game, then had a beer with him afterwards.

Lol yourself.

Take a look at the long version of the video. Only another minute or so of your life. Then you will then not only have the privelege of seeing your little hero run fifty meters to throw a coward punch at a kid from behind, a kid a couple of years younger. So stop using that stupid little excuse. You'll also see him s**t himself and run away like a frightened schoolgirl at the prospect of actually having to square up to somebody.

Primarily through elite kicking. We were able to hit up targets to ensure the flood/frontal pressure was effectively taken out. Most sides tried to handball through it and failed, we just methodically kicked our way through it. By doing that we forced more gaps and were then able to run hard and spread well.
This is accurate as its well known he insisted in getting highly skilled footballers rather than athletes to the club but e one thing missing is the fact he broke the mould during the flood era and instead of playing a loose back ( or 2 loose which was the case then) he chose to go with and extra mid with the mindset of winning the ball at contests and moving the ball backward until the team had control, then they would trust their foot skills with precision passing which was at the time totally different to everyone else that wanted run and handball through. Kudos also needs to go to the board at the time in 06/07 when kennet and most supporters wanted him sacked.

Dude I made the thread in 2007 before he had won a single flag...

He will win more too.

The most exciting thing for me is seeing:

A) How he gets this side up for a four-peat
B) How he rebuilds them for another flag

I have no doubt he will achieve both ...

If he does Jesus we could overtake everyone for all time flags won...

(2007)
Our Captain had quit the role and had gone down for the season, our key forward had mental heath issues and wanted the hell out and our key backman, as it turns out, did as well.
Yeah, thanks for that Hawthorn.

Yeah, thanks for that Hawthorn.
Ha! I wondered what I wrote in this threAd. Couldn't be bothered to rummage through the whole lot.

A mate of mine was telling me the other day that he crosses path with jonny hay sometimes and reckon he's doing pretty well. Also said he's in great nick (I think he's a PErsonal trainer) and a really happy nice fella. Warmed my heart to hear that he's on track:thumbsu:

Lol yourself.

Take a look at the long version of the video. Only another minute or so of your life. Then you will then not only have the privelege of seeing your little hero run fifty meters to throw a coward punch at a kid from behind, a kid a couple of years younger. So stop using that stupid little excuse. You'll also see him s**t himself and run away like a frightened schoolgirl at the prospect of actually having to square up to somebody.
Ian Aitken was no plodder either. He won the rookie of the year award in 1987 and played in a premiership and I'd argue that Clarkson's dog act ruined him as a player as he never reproduced his 1987 form again and was on the scrapheap only a few years later.

The thing that annoys me most about Clarkson/Hawthorn supporters is their hypocrisy in these matters. I remember back in 2009 when Buddy Franklin cleaned up Ben Cousins when he was at Richmond and got suspended for the final H/A game against Essendon, Clarkson and the Hawthorn supporters were whining about the bump being taken out of the game and the game becoming soft etc yet the very next week Matthew Lloyd ran through Brad Sewell and we had Hawthorn fans wanting to lynch him and Clarkson mouthing off at Lloyd (with plenty of support staff separating them of course) and dickheads like Campbell Brown making threats of payback on radio blah blah. What happened to their embracing of the bump and "unsociable football" that day? Of course when it's them dishing it out it's all great.

Clarkson is the best coach in the business hands down, and Hawthorn are a tremendous football side but being that doesn't make them beyond reproach either.

Ian Aitken was no plodder either. He won the rookie of the year award in 1987 and played in a premiership and I'd argue that Clarkson's dog act ruined him as a player as he never reproduced his 1987 form again and was on the scrapheap only a few years later.

The thing that annoys me most about Clarkson/Hawthorn supporters is their hypocrisy in these matters. I remember back in 2009 when Buddy Franklin cleaned up Ben Cousins when he was at Richmond and got suspended for the final H/A game against Essendon, Clarkson and the Hawthorn supporters were whining about the bump being taken out of the game and the game becoming soft etc yet the very next week Matthew Lloyd ran through Brad Sewell and we had Hawthorn fans wanting to lynch him and Clarkson mouthing off at Lloyd (with plenty of support staff separating them of course) and dickheads like Campbell Brown making threats of payback on radio blah blah. What happened to their embracing of the bump and "unsociable football" that day? Of course when it's them dishing it out it's all great.

Clarkson is the best coach in the business hands down, and Hawthorn are a tremendous football side but being that doesn't make them beyond reproach either.

You are not seriously trying to convince yourself that Lloyd's and Budd's hits were the same with the same motivation are you?

You are not seriously trying to convince yourself that Lloyd's and Budd's hits were the same with the same motivation are you?
I don't know what either were thinking or motivated by when they delivered their respective bumps and neither do you. They both made split second decisions. In both cases the ball was in the immediate vicinity, both players chose to bump when they both didn't have to and both Sewell and Cousins were knocked out and suffered concussion from the respective incidents. Take a look at either of them and tell me they're that much different as actual bumps

Hawthorn people overreacted because it was Lloyd and he and Essendon had/have an intense rivalry with you plus the Bombers rolled you that game and cost you a finals spot and you lot and your coach had a dummy spit. Franklins suspension was justified (he looked to lift an arm too which Lloyd didn't do) as was Lloyds but the fact Hawthorn supports bitched and whined about Buddy getting banned one week before bitching and whining about Lloyd doing something not too dissimilar leaves you open to allegations of hypocrisy imo.

I don't know what either were thinking or motivated by when they delivered their respective bumps and neither do you. They both made split second decisions. In both cases the ball was in the immediate vicinity, both players chose to bump when they both didn't have to and both Sewell and Cousins were knocked out and suffered concussion from the respective incidents. Take a look at either of them and tell me they're that much different as actual bumps

Hawthorn people overreacted because it was Lloyd and he and Essendon had/have an intense rivalry with you plus the Bombers rolled you that game and cost you a finals spot and you lot and your coach had a dummy spit. Franklins suspension was justified (he looked to lift an arm too which Lloyd didn't do) as was Lloyds but the fact Hawthorn supports bitched and whined about Buddy getting banned one week before bitching and whining about Lloyd doing something not too dissimilar leaves you open to allegations of hypocrisy imo.

I think the respective player reactions give you a clue as to how similar the incidents are :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the respective player reactions give you a clue as to how similar the incidents are :rolleyes:

Well the ball was still in play after the Buddy hit so the players had to focus on that.

Or maybe Hawthorn are just bigger sooks when it comes to receiving what they're happy to dish out.

Put that down to your long held rivalry and Lloyds history with you after incidents with Campbell Brown and Josh Thurgood.

Like I said it warranted a suspension but not the reaction your fans and coach made. I've seen plenty of Hawthorn players do things worse than that.

Are you seriously trying to compare Lloyds hit with Franklins? Forgive my memory, but didn't Lloyd cop 6 weeks compared to Franklin's 2? I mean, the MRP aren't particularly reliable, but there's a stark bloody difference between the two.

Let me just leave a quote here from one Matthew Lloyd:
''We were playing terrible footy. I was captain of the footy club. I knew what I was doing. I wanted to make a statement''

So not only did his bump have a huge impact on both teams seasons, but he then retired in a piss weak fashion, and then smugly comes out and tells us all how he sniped one of our players. Yep, Hawthorn supporters have no reason to be angry :rolleyes:

Dirtiest team in the game. From top down to the most casual supporter, the most obnoxious winners and the worst sooks in defeat.

You are just so darn cute :hearts:

One of my pet peeves which makes me want to throw a brick through the TV is when Darce fondles himself over Ross Lyon and says things like 'best coach of his his generation' and the like. He has said it even as recently as 2015, despite Clarko having three cups already at that point. Really riles me. Especially when Lyon is still trying to play the 2005 'Bloods' gameplan than him and Roos conjured up over a decade ago. Lyon is still dumb enough to think you can win finals scoring 60-70 points despite piles and piles of evidence that says you cant. Darce should go and f*ck himself. Im not a violent person but Id love nothing more than to see Clarko turn his lights off. Some things just take you over the edge and for me Darce is one of them. Just a gigantic flog.

One of my pet peeves which makes me want to throw a brick through the TV is when Darce fondles himself over Ross Lyon and says things like 'best coach of his his generation' and the like. He has said it even as recently as 2015, despite Clarko having three cups already at that point. Really riles me. Especially when Lyon is still trying to play the 2005 'Bloods' gameplan than him and Roos conjured up over a decade ago. Lyon is still dumb enough to think you can win finals scoring 60-70 points despite piles and piles of evidence that says you cant. Darce should go and f*ck himself. Im not a violent person but Id love nothing more than to see Clarko turn his lights off. Some things just take you over the edge and for me Darce is one of them. Just a gigantic flog.

In Darcy's defence, he never won anything either

Dirtiest team in the game. From top down to the most casual supporter, the most obnoxious winners and the worst sooks in defeat.

Ill let you in on a few tips, you are probably too young to remember.
  1. Successful teams play hard football right on the edge. Carlton did that once.
  2. Successful teams and their supporters are arrogant. No one in the history of the game was more arrogant than Carlton. Ever. Yes it was a long time ago, but it happened.
  3. This is sooking;

Ill let you in on a few tips, you are probably too young to remember.
  1. Successful teams play hard football right on the edge. Carlton did that once.
  2. Successful teams and their supporters are arrogant. No one in the history of the game was more arrogant than Carlton. Ever. Yes it was a long time ago, but it happened.
  3. This is sooking;

You seem to make that mistake of thinking hard and dirty are the same thing. It's a common mistake from those who can't handle the unpleasant truth that the tin gods they are so emotionally invested in are not very admirable at all.

Over my many years following football (during which I have had the pleasure of witnessing 8 premierships so stick your childish age taunts up your jacksi, all they do is reveal how little of substance you have to say) two successful teams standout as being more filthy than hard. Essendon of the 1980s and Hawthorn under the nasty little midget.

Funnily enough, in the 80s Essendon supporters would justify the filth of their team in exactly the same way you do now - as somehow being integral to the winner psyche.

You seem to make that mistake of thinking hard and dirty are the same thing. It's a common mistake from those who can't handle the unpleasant truth that the tin gods they are so emotionally invested in are not very admirable at all.

Over my many years following football (during which I have had the pleasure of witnessing 8 premierships so stick your childish age taunts up your jacksi, all they do is reveal how little of substance you have to say) two successful teams standout as being more filthy than hard. Essendon of the 1980s and Hawthorn under the nasty little midget.

Funnily enough, in the 80s Essendon supporters would justify the filth of their team in exactly the same way you do now - as somehow being integral to the winner psyche.

What you are saying is not supported by stats.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...od-guys-compared-to-some-20150629-gi0tsd.html

Those numbers are facts. Now Hodge let himself down a few times last year which was not ideal, and Lewis had a brain fart. But most clubs had idiots who did dumb stuff like that.

You are simply biased against the Hawks and Clarkson which is fine as long as you acknowledge it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back