Toast Cam Guthrie

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Bluey travelling these days? Good to see he's in remission and looks to be well on top of things.

On the rise of Cam Guthrie, one thing I've now come to enjoy as an older bastard is the fact that you can watch kids develop from day zero of their career at the club, and view it in context.

Guthrie's rise makes me smile because he really did seem to be 'that VFL kid' as RegHickeyStand put it, a VFL kid that battled hard and won through.

Now I think he's torn down the gates and is advancing up the gilded driveway. F*ck yeah!:thumbsu:
Yeah that's one of the things I really love about Guthrie - he doesn't have the natural talent of Menzel or Caddy IMO, but has obviously just worked bloody hard to get better every year. He reminds me a little bit of Enright and Ling in that regard.

I've sung Guthrie's praises many times and have been surprised at the impatience of some with his development since 2011; for mine he's been rock solid from very early on, I really couldn't fault his rate of progress whatsoever.
He'll go down as one of Wells' best draft selections I reckon.
He's the type who could win a Brownlow too.
All things going well, we probably have at least 5 more years of peak Cam Guthrie to come; he'll perform at a high level for us for a long time, can't ask for much more than that.
His skills by foot and hand are razor sharp, and he has that fabled fast-twitch-fibre thing going on.
He should have some more improvement left in him, but even if he 'only' maintains his current rate of output then he should still be considered a serious talent - the only part of his game that hasn't come on quite as well as I expected is his marking; in 2013 he was a seriously good mark for his height, I haven't really seen him attain that level since - but seeing as though the rest of his game has developed so rapidly, it is a minor quibble.

Remember the year of his draft, a mate had watched him a bit in juniors rated him a massive chance to play lots of AFL footy, used in plenty of run with roles even then, said he was definitely going to the Saints. Lucky we had the pick right before them! Fantastic player with few flaws if any.

Go back to threads from 2013 if you want a real chuckle about Guthrie.
I thought he really arrived in that finals campaign, did everything that was asked of him. He's an ever better pick-up considering he was a package deal with Blicavs in the end.

Remember all the talk (partly from me) about how his tagging role in the past couple of years wasn't working? Now, with hindsight, it appears an important part of his development - taught him where to run and how to use his body in contests. Another tick for the coaching staff.

Remember all the talk (partly from me) about how his tagging role in the past couple of years wasn't working? Now, with hindsight, it appears an important part of his development - taught him where to run and how to use his body in contests. Another tick for the coaching staff.

I've moved onto your side now mate our defence is obviously doing a great job, so now we gotta keep #GuthInTheGuts!

Dan Hannebery this morning was giving Cam a pretty big rap on tv. Saying how eye-catching his run and dash is, what a beautiful kick, and wouldn't be surprised if during the year he's not challenging Selwood and Dangerfield for the top tier midfield spot.

Playing in defence because he is not needed in the mid field really highlights the depth available at the moment.

Dan Hannebery this morning was giving Cam a pretty big rap on tv. Saying how eye-catching his run and dash is, what a beautiful kick, and wouldn't be surprised if during the year he's not challenging Selwood and Dangerfield for the top tier midfield spot.

In our team he already is, that's the funny thing with outside perception, it tends to be a bit behind so when we think a guy is starting to come good, he likely already has.
He is just a beautifully balanced player, plays inside and outside, wins hardballs in tight and has a beautiful accurate kick, has good hands above his head and with the ball, makes good decisions, kicks goals and can defend as good as any other midfielder.
I wouldn't be surprised if come the end of the year everyone is cooing over Geelongs 3 great midfielders.

Id love to say I knew he'd be a star...etc. There have been plenty I have liked in juniors that have done little or nothing. ..I will say I remember liking his highlight playing for CC and was one of the players I mentioned in that years wants Phantom etc. I really liked the way he showed def. attributes while on ball..plenty have a reasonable highlight real..not all of them look like they will handle the hurley burley of afl. He did.
Drafted at 23 from memory , played a couple in his first year..another tick..and its been a steady upward trend for mine. All the different roles he has been given has just added to his portfolio of attributes. He represents all of thats good in the previous way we built a list. If one knew we could get a kid of his standard from draft , one would not often stray too far from it. It say a lot that I'd love it if we can just find another kid in this years draft that can do what he can. He is now a ref point , and an A grade player. Signed to 2018. The next contract will be worth a fair bit more.

How was it a package deal? Guthrie was drafted in 2010.

I must remember to mention him in the I was right thread however.
It was Guthrie & Guthries father that put the club onto Blicavs in the first place. Perhaps package deal isnt the correct way to put it, but no Guthrie would likely mean no Blicavs.

Great guy ,great player. So naturally belongs at the cats. Loved the way he moved Danger on from that confrontation with the umpire too. Will be a great of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that Cam's a well-rounded person, too. Still managing to do his part time Bachelor of Health Science at La Trobe. And does he still do his shift at the Cold Rock ice cream shop? A very grounded person, I think.

That's Cam's best game for the club IMO. Relentless running with and without the ball. Guffers and Motlop tore the Blackbirds a new one.

Fast becoming an A Grader. Also has a massive head. Literally, not figuratively. It doesn't seem to match his body. Anyway....

I think his time has come at the age of 23 in his 6th season.
The previous No.29 had arrived at the age of 23 in his 6th season, too.
Having said that I absolutely do not want Cam to do weird things in 2019.;)

Cam is like a good bottle of red wine (as opposed to a box of chocolates)....he just seems to get better with age.

I agree with Pavlovs Cat, Friday's game was probably his best with the club, although it would have been a 9/10 or more if he'd kicked those goals.

I expect him to dominate against the Pies. All their focus will be on Motlop, Selwood and Danger

A quick google search suggests he's kicked 12 goals in 12 games and been in the best in 5 of those. I know absolutely nothing about him though.

That's an understatement.

To play on Ballantyne, Monfries and Rioli in consecutive high-pressure finals and destroy all three of them to such an extent their combined goal tally amounts to one major would have been hugely impressive for a player in their prime of their career. Guthrie did it at 21.
He also snagged a ripping goal himself in the 2013 prelim

Anyone know much about his brother? Playing at Calder this year.

His name is Zach, and based on an article on Cam from a couple of years ago, Zach would be 17 this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back