No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS will play at Spotless if they get a home final.

I took a look at their fixture for the rest of the season and loaded up on them for the flag. They'll be top 2 and favourites within 4-6 weeks.

The media well and truly jumped off the Mason Cox bandwagon yesterday. They seem to have only just woken up to the major issues with playing the lanky yank. Good on him for having a go and getting the best out of himself, but in the modern game he's a liability for Collingwood.

Should be just named AwFL Giants

The AFL seems pretty intent that it's startup plastic clubs win one or two flags within seven years of startup. Only the Michael Voss of the nineties in Gerard Neesham messed this up with Freo.

Of course it always seems to work out that we are contenders when these clubs peak. Adelaide 97/98; WC 92/94; and now GWS.

And of course not only are we handicapped to lose against the AFL startup plastic clubs, we are also required to part with our best players to help these clubs start up - providing them with their leadership groups in the process - Rance (WC captain), McGuiness (Crows Vice Captain), Ward (GWS captain). Throw in senior players like Harbrow, Montgomery, Wira and Griffen, a coach in Cameron, an ex coach in Eade, our recruiter and fitness head, and we've been a critical feeder team for the plastic AFL startups.

Don't get me started...:fire:

Last edited:
3rd oldest 22 across the league this weekend King. They are a myth.
Just don't tell Carlton fans that their rebuild hasn't started yet.... They are talking about their Youth winning then finals and premierships.
My take is that their coach is great but they needed another 2 years near the bottom to get a few more A graders. Their later pick drafting hasn't been good enough to pick mid table. I can see mid table irrelevancy in their near future.

The media well and truly jumped off the Mason Cox bandwagon yesterday. They seem to have only just woken up to the major issues with playing the lanky yank. Good on him for having a go and getting the best out of himself, but in the modern game he's a liability for Collingwood.
Have no idea why people were raving about him. Didn't see much in his "good" performances. Seemed like your average developing ruck. I get that he's come a long way but on actual performance...meh!

How stark is the difference between the Weller brothers?

Mav's a proper journeyman with a head like a smacked up sack of flour. Lachie's a star and the ladies love him.

How stark is the difference between the Weller brothers?

Mav's a proper journeyman with a head like a smacked up sack of flour. Lachie's a star and the ladies love him.

fbdf3f188c66e2cf8fc7ce9e931894c5

Gotta imagine that he would sell at least a few memberships

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to get off the track completely here we are on holidays in Italy with European cup on. Watched Belgium v Italy last night with italy winning 2 - 0. Now I thought I was one eyed and passionate with all things bulldogs but fn hell these Italians take it to whole new level. And as a footnote the Italians play dirty....every time a Belgium player was about to break free there was a trip, hold, push in the back....yellow cards a plenty against Italian defender's. Buggered the game. Not that i was yelling that out aloud.

How old is Cox though? I know he probably hasn't got a natural feel for the game because he started late but we are keen for Toyd to be given time because he's young and big, so why not Cox who has only just debuted and has less AFL experience than Toyd?
If he's already 25 or something then fair enough, but if he's only 21-22 then let's give him a chance.

How old is Cox though? I know he probably hasn't got a natural feel for the game because he started late but we are keen for Toyd to be given time because he's young and big, so why not Cox who has only just debuted and has less AFL experience than Toyd?
If he's already 25 or something then fair enough, but if he's only 21-22 then let's give him a chance.
He's 25. Mind you, I think there's a lot left in him. He was burned at selection for the Melbourne game.

Just to get off the track completely here we are on holidays in Italy with European cup on. Watched Belgium v Italy last night with italy winning 2 - 0. Now I thought I was one eyed and passionate with all things bulldogs but fn hell these Italians take it to whole new level. And as a footnote the Italians play dirty....every time a Belgium player was about to break free there was a trip, hold, push in the back....yellow cards a plenty against Italian defender's. Buggered the game. Not that i was yelling that out aloud.
That's because Italians are naturally shifty. Watch yourself over there.

I am Italian

Last edited:
Round 12 Coaches Votes: Bont 10, Cripps, Heeney, Petracca COMBINED: 0.

Heeney and Petracca have a long way to go before they are dragging their team over the line in a finals-like intensity game in Adelaide.

Cripps would need Bont to go backwards in order to catch up.

Lots of things s**t me about the game and I have >3000 posts worth of proof attesting to that FACT! but this contrived horseshit and the way its insidiously being introduced by clubs is at the very top.

http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au/sport/afl/opinion-gfp/2016/5/the-afls-biggest-issue/

Footy fans might not even know it, but we are currently witnessing the single most disgraceful development of our game has seen in 160 years of Australian Rules Football.

Is it flooding? No.

Ducking and Diving? Nope.

Joe Danihers Moustache? Remarkably, no.

The biggest blight on our game in 2016 is undoubtedly club sanctioned scoreboard noises.

The lazy attempts by clubs to increase the much talked about ‘fan experience,’ has resulting in club chants, explosions of recorded crowd noise and random sound effects blaring over stadium PA systems to start quarters and even immediately after goals, and somehow it is a growing trend.

It is a frightening reality that there is staff at club land who have bizarrely conceived these tactics as a good idea and even more concerning that their superiors have agreed to implement them. That such a thing has made it’s way into the football experience is a disgrace greater than any the game has seen before and it is an issue that needs to be dealt with before it get’s out of hand.

Sundays match between St Kilda and Carlton at Etihad Stadium brought together two of the leagues worst scoreboard noise culprits, with the Saints home game allowing them to stake their claim as outright leaders.

Despite a scintillating performance that gave Saints fans plenty to cheer about, their efforts were consistently drowned out by the painful pre-recorded cry of ‘Oh when the Saints…. Go marching in…’ that followed every goal and led all the way into the next centre bounce.

While a rousing chant when sung by real people in an actual moment of passion, as seen in the mother country with Tottenham and Southampton fans utilising the same tune, the Saints cringeworthy attempt to manufacture an atmosphere in such a fashion is an indictment on the club, on our sport and ultimately our country.

Sadly it is not a problem exclusive to St Kilda, with Carlton home games also providing the frightening pairing of a flashing scoreboard graphic and a thunderous and painful sound effect after every goal to ensure that any attempt of their supporters to produce real noise to inspire their side is wasted, whilst the Gold Coasts post goal trumpet has become a staple feature of Suns home games to irritate their five thousand strong crowd.

Essendon attempted to implement similar ‘goal music’ way back in 2001 by blasting Jennifer Lopez’ ‘Lets Get Loud’ over the PA after each and every goal of their top of the table clash with Hawthorn, and while that probably wouldn’t cause many issues nowadays the all-conquering Bombers of the time kicked 18 goals to beat the Hawks and claim top spot on that day to ensure that the song rightly never saw the light of day again at an AFL match.

So while it’s not exactly a new phenomenon and nor is it exclusive to Aussie Rules, it is an issue that now needs to be acted upon before it get’s out of hand and the solution is going to be one that can’t be used to solve any other issue that may ever arise in football, but we know what it’s going to take…

Clubs must follow Essendon’s lead. Just this once.

The sooner Carlton, St Kilda, Gold Coast and any other club planning to pump their plastic atmospheres through the PA cut their losses and turn the volume down the sooner footy fans can move on and focus on the bigger issues, like the price of a pie and beer at the MCG.

Lots of things s**t me about the game and I have >3000 posts worth of proof attesting to that FACT! but this contrived horseshit and the way its insidiously being introduced by clubs is at the very top.

http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au/sport/afl/opinion-gfp/2016/5/the-afls-biggest-issue/

Footy fans might not even know it, but we are currently witnessing the single most disgraceful development of our game has seen in 160 years of Australian Rules Football.

Is it flooding? No.

The biggest blight on our game in 2016 is undoubtedly club sanctioned scoreboard noises.

The lazy attempts by clubs to increase the much talked about ‘fan experience,’ has resulting in club chants, explosions of recorded crowd noise and random sound effects blaring over stadium PA systems to start quarters and even immediately after goals, and somehow it is a growing trend.

It is a frightening reality that there is staff at club land who have bizarrely conceived these tactics as a good idea and even more concerning that their superiors have agreed to implement them. That such a thing has made it’s way into the football experience is a disgrace greater than any the game has seen before and it is an issue that needs to be dealt with before it get’s out of hand.

Sundays match between St Kilda and Carlton at Etihad Stadium brought together two of the leagues worst scoreboard noise culprits, with the Saints home game allowing them to stake their claim as outright leaders.

Despite a scintillating performance that gave Saints fans plenty to cheer about, their efforts were consistently drowned out by the painful pre-recorded cry of ‘Oh when the Saints…. Go marching in…’ that followed every goal and led all the way into the next centre bounce.

While a rousing chant when sung by real people in an actual moment of passion, as seen in the mother country with Tottenham and Southampton fans utilising the same tune, the Saints cringeworthy attempt to manufacture an atmosphere in such a fashion is an indictment on the club, on our sport and ultimately our country.

Sadly it is not a problem exclusive to St Kilda, with Carlton home games also providing the frightening pairing of a flashing scoreboard graphic and a thunderous and painful sound effect after every goal to ensure that any attempt of their supporters to produce real noise to inspire their side is wasted, whilst the Gold Coasts post goal trumpet has become a staple feature of Suns home games to irritate their five thousand strong crowd.

Essendon attempted to implement similar ‘goal music’ way back in 2001 by blasting Jennifer Lopez’ ‘Lets Get Loud’ over the PA after each and every goal of their top of the table clash with Hawthorn, and while that probably wouldn’t cause many issues nowadays the all-conquering Bombers of the time kicked 18 goals to beat the Hawks and claim top spot on that day to ensure that the song rightly never saw the light of day again at an AFL match.

So while it’s not exactly a new phenomenon and nor is it exclusive to Aussie Rules, it is an issue that now needs to be acted upon before it get’s out of hand and the solution is going to be one that can’t be used to solve any other issue that may ever arise in football, but we know what it’s going to take…

The sooner Carlton, St Kilda, Gold Coast and any other club planning to pump their plastic atmospheres through the PA cut their losses and turn the volume down the sooner footy fans can move on and focus on the bigger issues, like the price of a pie and beer at the MCG.
Deserves a main board thread!

Herald sun home page still obsessed with Collingwood images.
I think it has been everyday since about last Thursday.
Can someone send them some pictures of other clubs ?

Is it flooding? No.

I'm 100% with you on this Norm. I remember the Edelsten-owned Swans used to do this at the SCG in the 1980s after every Sydney goal (but not visitors' goals) and it annoyed the crap out of me, which was probably the intention.

Like Essendon, somewhere down the line they saw it was counterproductive. If anything it inhibits spontaneity from the crowd. However subtle amplification of the home section of the crowd is just as insidious IMO, and is equally dishonest and contrived.

Unfortunately football was taken away from its rightful owner - the people - and appropriated by commercial interests in a big way in the late 70s and the 80s.
I doubt we will ever get it back.

If you want the old experience (without the big crowds, alas) go to your local suburban or country footy match. The bastards won't take THAT from us!

Is it flooding? No.

"make some noise" another reason to hate norf.
They also had some special infuriating variation of this when boomer kicks a downhill skiing goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back