Review R19: Port v Brisbane Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Bill after Butcher kicked his third:
qovlJ5R.gif

FTFY

wacko jacko does alright against ruckmen his size or within a few cm.

i think he'll struggle as #1 ruck in a fresh season against monsters like sandy lands, nicnat and BIG MAXY GAAAAAWN
Mate this is his first season as ruck, He will destroy all comers next year.

This place makes me laugh

Haven't seen any footage yet
What do i look for
Good:
The second quarter.
Wines' workrate after halftime.
Butcher's tap on to Robbie in the third and Chad's party tricks in the last.
Amon's field kicking.
Trengove's monumental clearance work.
Butcher's movement around the ground and clean marking - great CHF performance

Not so good:
Missed tackles in the last quarter.
Kicking for goal, especially by Westhoff, Wines and Young.

No offence but it's pretty well established that you like weird things.

None taken. I don't know what exactly is weird about it though, I thought my tastes in things were shockingly mainstream. AC/DC, Star Wars, bogan commentators don't exactly scream "niche taste".

I can't believe people are saying we played like s**t.

The only bad part of our game was finishing in front of goal. Everything else was as good as you could expect.
We weren't horrible, but we weren't great. That was clearly the worst big win I've seen in a long time. We were playing against witches hats and still were fumbling and bumbling our way down the field. Missing wide open targets, choosing the wrong options and then blowing a ridiculous number of easy opportunities.

What we did great was absolutely monster them in the middle, I mean we had 120 more touches. However Other than that we let them score way too easy, we were extremely wasteful and even though there was zero pressure all night we still looked like a side that has zero confidence and is still way to fumbly to be any good. Our decision making and our basic mistakes as well are just horrible to watch. So many basic and elementary errors that top sides dont do.

Play that way against the Swans next week and we'll lose by 5-10 goals.

That game said more about Brissy than us. That was the worst AFL team I've seen in my memory. Even our darkest days didn't look that bleak.

Last edited:
We weren't horrible, but we weren't great. That was clearly the worst big win I've seen in a long time. We were playing against witches hats and still were fumbling and bumbling our way down the field. Missing wide open targets, choosing the wrong options and then blowing a ridiculous number of easy opportunities.

What we did great was absolutely monster them in the middle. Other than that we let them score way too easy, we were extremely wasteful and even though there was zero pressure all night we still looked like a side that has zero confidence and is still way to fumbly to be any good. Our decision making and our basic mistakes as well are just horrible to watch. So many basic and elementary errors that top sides dont do.

That game said more about Brissy than us. That was the worst AFL team I've seen in my memory. Even our darkest days didn't look that bleak.
YET....we beat them by a larger margin than any other team has this year, even the top teams.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...9/news-story/ff006f3d62dcc4cd3442063c4e72f8dd
Port Adelaide crush Brisbane Lions by 94 points at the Gabba in Round 19
JOHN Butcher and Port Adelaide live on in football’s most curious last chance saloon.

Port remains a mathematical chance of finals after coach Ken Hinkley turned Lion tamer for the first time in Brisbane with a percentage boosting 94-point triumph.
Immaculate Robbie Gray (15 contested possessions), reborn Jared Polec (25 touches) and Ollie Wines (13 contested possessions) fired Port with precision disposals in a dominant Port outfit that was never challenged after the first term by Brisbane.
Brad Ebert recovered from another blood-spilling head knock with two deserved goals while Chad Wingard and Butcher slotted their fourth and fifth goals respectively in a final term training run.
More ...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...9/news-story/ff006f3d62dcc4cd3442063c4e72f8dd
upload_2016-7-30_22-39-19.png
John Butcher handballs away from Pearce Hanley.

Who needs leads when we have that kind of marking power and aerial dominance. Add Young and Wingard that is a real powerful line up.
We need leads. We need easy ball out of the middle and mids who lower their eyes to hit up clear targets directly out from goal.

Dixon doesn't mark the footy anywhere near enough anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly didn't miss Hartlett at all tonight. If I didn't have a "as an interstate club, you don't trade locals against their will" policy, I'd be happy to put him up.

Right then, quick dingle review.

Watched the game from the local, had every intention of going to watch at the pub in Surry Hills with the Port crew but well you know the gear and the beer and anyway,

we won which was good.

awful **** ups which weren't good.

Jasper doesn;t seem as interested as he was when we were in love.

Logan Austin is hercules.

I wish the Butch kicked 400 goals every week.

High risk high reward.

Ebo pls

It would appear that Loins whole game plan was the bitch slap.

what an awful bunch of people they have in Brisbaneley land.

Oh and if the AFLLLLLLL was judged on attempted speccies Brisbaneleylandnen would be premierses.
Are you talking to us? :)

Lel the negative nancies on our board, cant please them all Win by alot, didnt win by enough. Lose well i told you were no good. Cant win with this bunch but eh i think we played pretty damn well. We might not be playing finals this year but this season hasnt gone completely to waste; we found players in austin, amon, clurey, dbj and still have a few waiting in the wings.

-amon: has he consolodiated a place in our 22? Oh how different he is from his debut game at the same ground, the game in adelaide to this round. He has completey adjusted to the pace and did not get run down/was too slow in any situation. Good skill, most importantly actually sprints instead of jogs, tough at the ball and has the tank. Wonderful performance and from a once doubter well done.
- butcher: well what else can be said played deep, up around the arcs and even rucked a bit. 11 marks 4 goals against any opponent shows that yes you do belong at this level. The 2 snaps didnt require much thought and was natural.
- trengove: wished that last snap didnt hit the post otheriwse another ripping game to back up his performance against brisbane earier in the season. Probably 6 votes from 6 in the brisbane games this year
-austin good one out vs hipwood
-young was a bit frustrating
-the bloke no one has been mentioning polec: fantastic in finding space, delivery first class hard running. Really liked his game

We kick 170 points, win by 90, Butcher kicks 4 and Wingard kicks 5 and people are still upset and complaining

What a strange world we live in
Such a hollow victory. Looking at the bigger picture, we expect more from this side.

Belting a crap side in a dead rubber means very little. If we were in the finals chase it would have meant a lot more to me.

FIVE THINGS WE LEARNED

1 — The season has been a disappointment but Port’s response to its losses have been good more often than not. Resilience is there, spirit is there, want is there, it is just the quality of the Power’s top-line players that has not been there enough in 2016.

2 — John Butcher was given a huge chance and a show of faith by Ken Hinkley for this game and he did not let him down. 20 possessions for a forward, 11 strong marks and 4 goals. Well played Butch!

3 — 25.23 is a massive score, especially on someone else’s home deck. The Power’s season is not over and it must play it out to the end.

4 — Jackson Trengove keeps on making this list — but it is impossible to leave him out on his stats alone: 25 disposals, 18 hitouts, 15 clearances, 6 inside 50s and 2 goals. If that isn’t BOG nothing ever will be.

5 — Port Adelaide won contested ball 158-128. A thrashing. Brisbane was an embarrassment at times. Insipid at others. The Lions are in trouble. A young team with no depth but efforts like that are unacceptable.

What we did great was absolutely monster them in the middle. Other than that we let them score way too easy, we were extremely wasteful and even though there was zero pressure all night we still looked like a side that has zero confidence and is still way to fumbly to be any good. Our decision making and our basic mistakes as well are just horrible to watch. So many basic and elementary errors that top sides dont do.

You were one of the people who said that Butcher would get crucified because we weren't playing another key forward with him, weren't you?

looking at stats now, blown away Arch only had 14 disposals. best game he's played IMO. (maybe second behind that GWS game)

Did seem a lot more than that tbh. Not better than GWS last year, but definitely no. 2. Not happy he was running out of FF a lot of times instead of Butch, however.

Did seem a lot more than that tbh. Not better than GWS last year, but definitely no. 2. Not happy he was running out of FF a lot of times instead of Butch, however.
I don't understand why when there is a stoppage in our forward 50, we have a small in our goalsquare and Butcher lining up 30-40m further up field, sometimes further from the goals than where the ball is being bounced or thrown in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back