Autopsy What a nail biter! Pies lose by 3 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar and Aish were outstanding last night. Possibly there best games for the club.
Treloar showed us that he has another gear last night and when he decides to use it, it is special to watch. It makes me think that we stole him from GWS despite giving up 2 1st round picks.

I don't want to come across a condescending suckhole, but well played last night Collingwood. Hell of a game. Both teams were outstanding. You guys have a incredibly talented young list. You will play finals next year. Can we please have Moore on our list? F-ing unreal.

The only reason I post my well wishes as you guys show great respect on our board and actually contribute, be it match discussion or for a laugh - it's most refreshing. At the moment we have North and Saints who hate our club with a passion. The end result is a shit fight in any correspondence between boards.
Saints fans are low life's and you only have to look at Norths president to see their caliber of supporter. Total smart arse flogs.

The Bulldogs and their fans represent the qualities that make football great (just like Pies fans). They're loyal, proud and humble because for differing reasons we've both had to be. We came from less than glamorous beginnings but produced football clubs that were the life blood of their respective traditional suburbs and I reckon we both have an attachment with our clubs that is more passionate than other supporter bases because of it.

I hate losing to anyone but to the Bulldogs hurts less than other sides especially when it's an absolute corker like last night.

Where, oh where, has he shown indications he'll be a 'star'?

His ceiling for me at this stage lies somewhere between above average-good player bracket.

More than happy to be proven wrong though.

Hitting the clearance at speed with a great pickup was elite, his finish wasn't....and that's my point. I think the frustration with de goey comes from his 50% finishing rate. He's missed 10-15+ goals this year that should be regulation. What i'm suggesting is with a bit of polish (that's not guaranteed to come) he will be a star. For him it's all in the finishing.

With respect, he didn't look like it last night. Kid is only 20 and already rated in the top 10 players in the comp. I only hope that Bont turns out to have a career with the sustained excellence that Pendlebury has blessed Collingwood with.
I reckon the poster was being a little facetious about the Bont.

The kid is an absolute superstar. It was a real pleasure as a football purist (less so as a Pies supporter) watching him go do his thing. Absolute gun. Watching Bont and Trealor last night was worth the price of admission alone.

It is definitely not a list issue for us. That future also includes Fasolo, Ramsey, Elliot, Sharenberg, Broomhead & Cox who all didn't play last night.

If we can make some changes to our football department to increase the footy IP / IQ of that group and fix up what from the outside looks a poor fitness department, we play finals next year. We have the list.
We had the list this year too imho.
But the difference in effort was phenomenal. If we did this last week against Richmond we would have steamrolled them . Good to see them bouncing back from it. Amazing what a few personnel changes bring.
Fwiw, Oxley did show some desperation in the fwd 50. Not enough results to herald a new swingman but glimpses interesting enough to persist with.
Phillips got caught in the frenzy a few times. A bit more composure and we would have 2 -3 goals more and should be game over.
DeGoey should get a few more creds. Give him another preseason and some bulk, opposition won't like his tackles at full speed. He dished out some punishment last night.

Taking aside some baffling umpiring and ordinary disposal skills, to me it was little moments of ill discipline or ball handling errors that killed our chances. Those down field push in the back decisions, a critical fumble when clear of a contest. They're what got us.

Once again it is was our kicking skills that let us down. This really needs to be worked on in the preseason. We also struggle badly to get the ball out of our defensive 50.

Efforts like last night are what are the most frustrating - we can mix it with the better sides when we're on, but the gap between our best and worst football is staggeringly wide and easily the largest in the comp (nobody else is even close) - we look like top 4 contenders when we're on and wooden spoon contenders when we're not.

Someone on the broadcast made an excellent point about us last night - they were commenting on how our execution of the basics was much better and then noted that nobody ever makes the same comment about a team like Hawthorn, because they execute the basics to the same high standard consistently week in and week out.

This is clearly a mindset issue because we *can* do it as we showed again last night, but our players don't appear to be drilled well enough to be able to execute the basics (and I'm not just talking about our kicking, it's also spatial awareness, running to the right spots in both directions, supporting team mates under pressure, even tackling) consistently from week to week, especially under pressure from the opposition.

just watched the last 2 mins again, how on earth easton wood got away with holding sidebottoms arm is beyond me... poppy or rioli would be a shoe in for that free kick. Bevo has the usual clarkson'esque gall to call the deliberate paid on jong as not there... #freekickdogs haha.

In his past two matches, Darcy has looked incredibly imposing, only his second year so it's exciting how good he could be.

Aish was really worrying me for awhile there, but have to remember he didn't play much footy last year, he's really come into his own during the second half of the season.

Didn't get to watch the game last night but it seemed like we had a crack - hopefully we get a win next week.

Saints fans are low life's and you only have to look at Norths president to see their caliber of supporter. Total smart arse flogs.

The Bulldogs and their fans represent the qualities that make football great (just like Pies fans). They're loyal, proud and humble because for differing reasons we've both had to be. We came from less than glamorous beginnings but produced football clubs that were the life blood of their respective traditional suburbs and I reckon we both have an attachment with our clubs that is more passionate than other supporter bases because of it.

I hate losing to anyone but to the Bulldogs hurts less than other sides especially when it's an absolute corker like last night.
I agree with your characterisation of our respective clubs and what they represent. I'd add that, as a Bulldogs supporter who was around and involved in the fight to save our club in 1989, there was only one other club in the league who backed us all the way in those dark hours, and whose cheer squad backed us all the way, raising a significant amount of money to help us - Collingwood. For this reason you will see thousands of Bulldogs supporters who respect Collingwood enormously and will always wish the Pies good fortune.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with your characterisation of our respective clubs and what they represent. I'd add that, as a Bulldogs supporter who was around and involved in the fight to save our club in 1989, there was only one other club in the league who backed us all the way in those dark hours, and whose cheer squad backed us all the way, raising a significant amount of money to help us - Collingwood. For this reason you will see thousands of Bulldogs supporters who respect Collingwood enormously and will always wish the Pies good fortune.
I gave $50 willingly, hard not to especially when family members are Doggie supporters. Good luck in the finals.

Once again it is was our kicking skills that let us down. This really needs to be worked on in the preseason. We also struggle badly to get the ball out of our defensive 50.
That's the problem. We haven't addressed it for the last decade in drafting players who are athletes but not footballers.

Kicking is a skill you have or you don't. It can be taught when a junior but once you get to the age of an AFL senior player your kicking won't improve significantly. Yet people had this myth floating around that "X" player just needs to improve their kicking and will become a superstar. It won't happen!

Just look at Cloke all these years. Poor kick who never improved despite everyones belief he would. And we have so many more in the same category at the club. Work on kicking all you want in the pre season, it won't make much of a difference.

Grow up spoiled brat
Maybe I just have higher expectations and a better position I want our club to get to than you.

We lost another game we should've won last night. We lost the Richmond game last week that we should've won. We should've had the game over on toast the first time against the dogs, we're right in the race with those.

Did I read on here that we've lost 10 games under 10 points in the last 2 years? That suggest to me that we have an issue we need to address. There's a reason teams like hawthorn win all the close ones and we lose them. It could be our seemingly lack of structures, maybe our players aren't good enough. That's what we should be talking about, and not talking about improved "effort".

A shit decision by Buckley to leave Cloke out.
I said exactly the opposite at the game.
We seem to flow better when he's not there.
I honestly think Cloke hinders the instincts of the other forwards by being there.

There's a reason teams like hawthorn win all the close ones and we lose them
The answer is on the field and they wear a very stand out colored shirt.

I honestly think Cloke hinders the instincts of the other forwards by being there.
Although I really believe that White plays better with Cloke in the team, surprisingly.
No stats, just a feeling and I thought his game last week wasn't that bad.

Although I really believe that White plays better with Cloke in the team, surprisingly.
No stats, just a feeling and I thought his game last week wasn't that bad.
Jesse can't be the sole focus.
There was a game earlier in the year I believe we had Cox, White & Moore and it functioned well.
In general our collective forward line seems to function more smoothly without Cloke - provided we have more than just one tall in it.

Jesse can't be the sole focus.
There was a game earlier in the year I believe we had Cox, White & Moore and it functioned well.
In general our collective forward line seems to function more smoothly without Cloke - provided we have more than just one tall in it.
I was thinking more of the GWS game with the three.
Cox has a long way to go before I would feel comfortable, he can't rely on just his long arms and height in marking, needs to learn to bullock, shepherd, bump,etc did a couple of those things early on but needs more time. Further if he is going to be used as a second ruck, also needs to work on it.
On the other hand, only first year so things may fall into place next year.

Great effort last night and we were stiff which is always the case when you lose by under a goal.

What shits me no end though is that if we had brought that effort last week against the Tigers we would have won by 10 goals.

Great effort last night and we were stiff which is always the case when you lose by under a goal.

What shits me no end though is that if we had brought that effort last week against the Tigers we would have won by 10 goals.
It is funny because I am feeling a little bit guilty at being excited after last nights game. Guilty because I shouldn't accept losses no matter how close but can't help feel excited with the team we are putting together. So much potential there and if we can get most playing at that standard, can see use winning more than losing especially the close ones.

Fair enough but I don't agree. Our biggest problem is defence its been shocking under Buckley. Brown has gone backwards And the ease the opposition can get goals is the biggest problem. Cloke is fine just a crap shot on goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back