Toast Thanks for everything Sauce!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I was unhappy with some of his mid year form and turned on a bloke who up until now had been a favourite of mine at the Club. Long gone were the frightening days of the Merrett and Brennan Show and that 2011 season that was cruelled by injury makes me wonder how good he could have been. He served us forward, crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground, even if all he wanted to do was launch the Rusty Fist in defence. Loved him. Best of luck.

tumblr_mutnefMDPI1r8uoabo5_250.gif

Oh god his announcement video is really hard to watch.
I think I'll wait to get home before I try and watch that.

Its not surprising news to see Rog go but still really sad at the same time. Like everyone else so happy to see he will be staying on in the welfare side of things

BIG SAUCE!!!, a Cult figure, a Ranga and a Legend walked into a bar and so the barman poured Daniel Merrett a Beer.

What a legend for being part of such a hard time for your club, will miss him for many reasons. Good luck for your final games Sauce

200 games. Top bloke. Very good FB. Exemplary team mate. I remember his first season well. How we chuckled about this gangly red head forward with clay hands and a s**t set shot. Well done on a career that will be listed for eternity somewhere in the Lion's ledger. Thanks for the memories, and the shirt fronts.

In his hey day one of the best spoilers in the game. Thanks for all your hard work Sauce. Played with heart and soul. A lesson for all our young players that you don't need to be the best to make a solid contribution to your football club and it's fans. Thanks mate loved catching up with you at the Lions fans days down here in Melbourne, always up for a chat, and always treated my kid like a champ. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was bloody hard to watch. Absolute heart and soul player, complete clubman. Always gave everything that he has and of course he's sticking around to help the kids they'd have to call security to stop him.

Thanks for everything Big Sauce.

Underrated and unappreciated for nearly all of his career. Never got one iota of love from the umpiring fraternity either:mad:

Thanks a million for all your efforts Sauce.

True clubman and ripping bloke to boot.
I think he got a fair bit of love from the umpiring fraternity haha. How many times did he get away with some late crunches into guys backs and his trademark deliberate running the ball out of bounds routine.

Just an absolute legend.Great clubman, great competitor, great bloke. Has been an asset to the club from the day he walked in, and will be into the future.

Never worried about getting the most bucks - whatever the club thinks is fair. Loved that period when Vossy played him forward. This 110 kilo wrecking ball smashing around the ground putting genuine fear into the opposition and creating opportunities for his mates. Then the last 2 years when his body would not let him play how he knew he could, but his team needed him. One of my all time favorites.

The Merrett/Murray may have originally been named after Roger, but in perpetuity there is a bit of Dan in there, IMHO.

Apart from a few 'passing' in game baggings I never participated in the ongoing bagging of Sauce (though at times hard to resist). I said earlier in the year he is our most important player and I still think that, whilst (given the amount of ball he has flying at him each week) he can make some huge mistakes, I think Harry Taylor would be exposed in his position.

Came from humble beginnings, never sooked or complained and is a Lion through and through, there's nothing to dislike. He also called it at the right time.

Whilst he didn't get the finals appearances and the like, I will remember him as the super loyal, quintessential battler - a title that I think he will get satisfaction from in years to come.

What a legend.

PS - we are screwed without him (or a replacement) for next year, so we better think quick.

I think he got a fair bit of love from the umpiring fraternity haha. How many times did he get away with some late crunches into guys backs and his trademark deliberate running the ball out of bounds routine.
He got away with so many slightly dodgy spoils and so on, but on the replay he always had his eyes on the ball. Think he is one of those few who somehow mastered the art of "accidentally" hurting the opposition by looking clumsy. I loved him for it. Moments like when he managed to trip Danniher the other week with his head. Masterful.

Thanks for everything Rog.
You definatley gave your footy career everything.

You were super tough and a great Backman. I'm sure many forwards will sleep better the night before a game knowing they don't have to go into battle against you.

You're leaving a really large gap in our backline which our list currently can't fill.

Super glad you're staying with the club in a support role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back