Review Saints beat Brisbane by 58 points - Review thread

Just on Billings' confidence which most agree is quite low. I suspect Richo has been super hard on him throughout the year. I'm hoping he can take on board criticism & improve his weaknesses. It would be disappointing if he were sooking it up. Look at the way Acres has improved after being dropped on a number of occasions & had the finger pointed at him in pressers.

Roo is a genuine freak. Now easily number 2 behind Plugger at our club. Obviously the game was crap and no pressure but 21 marks is amazing even in C grade Ammos. Not much to be said about the others because it was a practice match but one thing I will say I know will cop it but I don't care. Jack Billings is not that good. I thought he may become our best player this year but he is very outside. That outside he may end up in the crown soon. I hink the club need to look at his value and if it is good then maybe he is on the trade table. I know I will cop iy for this but I am just so disappointed and the crowd around me was exactly the same and that is the truth. Having said that what a year from the club. 12 wins. Its nearly the stuff of dreams.
where i was sitting the exact same sentiment for billings.

Just on Billings' confidence which most agree is quite low. I suspect Richo has been super hard on him throughout the year. I'm hoping he can take on board criticism & improve his weaknesses. It would be disappointing if he were sooking it up. Look at the way Acres has improved after being dropped on a number of occasions & had the finger pointed at him in pressers.

It could be considered a good test of Richo and team's coaching about how they help build it back up. Every player needs a bit of a different approach. He might not respond to the finger pointing approach.

He has a lot of the attributes already, he just hasn't quite got it together this year as much as Saints supporters would hope. The expectations on him are quite high though considering his natural ability and draft position.

should a player taken at pick 3 with so many presumed elite attributes have so many weaknesses?

Billings will be fine. He's got the tools he just needs a preseason developing the core strength in his body. Thought he did some gutsy things today - running back with the flight of the ball to mark, could have been absolutely pole-axed.
yep thats it thats why we drafted him running back with the flight of the ball. thanks for the clarity. get on the billings train.

Yeah, I keep saying to myself 'let the kid play forward to let his talents shine and gain confidence', then I think he has to tough it out, know what is required, and work through it (that and if he's gassed and is low on confidence I doubt he'd be pegging goals). He could be incredibly damaging, as mentioned, if he hardens his body up and builds a tank.

Needs a coach/role-model to work on his tentative nature.

All the tools are there, and although it doesn't look it at the moment, there is an insanely natural footballer somewhere underneath.

should a player taken at pick 3 with so many presumed elite attributes have so many weaknesses?

I think his only real weakness is winning his own footy. He's not quick but not slow. His foot skills aren't elite but above average.

My expectations of him have significantly dropped. I was hoping for a Robbie Gray but I'm thinking he crafts out a Farren Ray type career, which is nothing to sneeze about. But for a pick 3 it would still be disappointing.

Tbh I wouldn't overly care if we traded him. I follow the club above individual players so if parting with Jack helped get a guy that adds more to the team then I'm okay with it. The melts would be delicious too...

I really liked Armo's game today. He hit some contests ferociously hard, found a lot of the footy and used it well. He was very impressive overhead too. He looks in really good nick and hopefully that means a really solid preseason for him and back to his best next year. From my perspective, he cannot be on the trade table unless we want to get smashed in the clearances and contested ball all year. Congrats on the 150 Armo!

Should a player drafted at pick 3 be afforded the same amount of time to develop as every other player?
Nope should've won 3 B&F by now

So today we had Hickey- Dunstan- Gresham- Carilisle -McCartin and Webster not Playing, I like that

Why cant people say things without comments like that. He probably shouldn't have won any by now. He should just be better by now.
In your opinion, I think he will be fine and a very good 200 game player for us

Forward line is shaping up to be really dangerous. On a side note, I didn't realise that Newnes had kicked that many goals. Just looked it up and he has had 12 goal assists as well. That is damn handy from a bank flank. In contrast, Billings has kicked 6 goals and given off 10 goal assists for the year playing nearly 100% of the year in the forward line. It's a horrible return for a player of his ability. Needs to get the ball in more dangerous spots, his contribution has been overstated due to the fact we look for him as the outlet player. As a result, he racks up 20+ possession games pretty easily and you mistakenly think he has been okay. Unfortunately, he has not impacted games all year. There has literally not been 1 moment this year where I have said "Wow, Billings is starting to dominate this game". I have thought that about every other young player at some stage during the year.

Needs a massive pre-season. If he can become a 30+ goal kicker, 30+ goal assist type player or even match Weller's output this year, our forward line looks pretty scary next year.

Newnes has been more of a wingman this year than a back flank, but I think the major difference has been conversion. Newnes has made the most of his opportunities (I think he's kicked 15.3 or 15.4 this year) whereas Billings has the 6.12- set shots obviously has been the known weakness. I hope Billings can get an injury free run at it in the pre season and make some big strides this year, he's been a link up player this year more than someone who breaks the game open which is why he probably hasn't been noticed a lot. He was showing some real signs early in the season though which makes me think his ankle definitely hindered him for a fair few matches. Needs to spend a lot of time getting his tank up and we'll start seeing some benefits.

Back