Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only said he wanted out because your mob got in his ear and offered a little more $$$ along the way. All that talk about his girlfriend/wife is just a smokescreen.

He signed a 5-year deal because he wanted to be a long-term/one-club player with us.

That doesn't change the fact you could get some currency right now for him, which won't be available in the future

The incentive is this: you get a pick for Gibbs, a player who won't be around for your next premiership. That pick could become a premiership player.

If we walk away, Gibbs value decreases and you're stuck with someone who said they wanted out. He finishes his contract and you don't turn him into an early pick or premiership player
You could also argue that losing experience in a rebuild is not a good thing. There's a glowing example of this called GWS.

I am all for Carlton holding out until the final day to see who blinks first, However, if the stories are true about Gibbs wife desperately wanting to come back to SA to be with family and friends due to feeling she needs a support network to help her raise her children, I do think Carlton need to take that into account. Holding a footballer looking for a payday against his will is one thing, holding a family back from getting back together and being happy seems to be a little on the selfish side from Carlton. It is a professional sport and all and they should look for maximum compensation but if the Crows have offered the ceiling amount and will walk away then Carlton need to get the deal done otherwise I think it really reflects badly on them not the Crows. They need to remember, Gibbs could have walked as a RFA two years ago but instead put up with another crap 2 years from such an inept club, his only mistake is he signed a 5 year deal thinking his life circumstances would allow him to be loyal. Bottom line now is Carlton need to walk away now and decide how they want the footy world and the Gibbs family to look at their relationship at Carlton. If they can live with a potentially unhappy player for another 3 years or his wife leaves him to come back to SA they look like massive dick heads. But you know, its ok because SOS doesn't bluff.........

That's true but will you get one of Gibbs calibre though ??

There are B-Grade mids on offer every year but you have enough of them already, you need some silk now.

I reckon we would. Especially considering we don't have any single digit picks on our list

This is a moot point, you could too.

Thing is, your group were found out in the finals due to a genuine lack of midfield depth. If you don't bring Gibbs in, you will go into 2017 with the same group of mids but a year older and missing Lyon. I cannot see how you will bridge that gap in your list.

This group is ready to challenge but they won't if they don't have all the components needed. If you win a flag in the next two years on the back of securing Gibbs, no-one is going to give two hoots what it cost you to get him, but they will all remember that flag.

Ah go Sheik Yerbouti!

I'd be disappointed if Adelaide didn't do the mooted 1st Rnd pick this year & next for next years 2nd & Gibbs.

If Adelaide really need to get back in the 1st Round next year they can offer up Laird or Smith. By then Hampton or Doedee should be ready to play the half back role.

Crows need Gibbs now. He is in his prime as are Adelaide.

IMG_0140.GIF

What the hell is wrong with some of you!!!!

He only said he wanted out because your mob got in his ear and offered a little more $$$ along the way. All that talk about his girlfriend/wife is just a smokescreen.

He signed a 5-year deal because he wanted to be a long-term/one-club player with us.

You do realise the Crows are forbidden to negotiate anything with Gibbs. He is a contracted player. His manager is unlikely to ring the Crows out of the blue and go

'Hey, you offer Gibbs some more coin and he will walk out of Carlton'

Carlton have also acknowledged that Gibbs has personal issues. I am sure that they aren't making it up either.

I have just made a post about the premiership window as it is IMO, a very salient issue.

What you are failing to acknowledge is that we don't have to trade Gibbs because of this long-term contract so what incentive is your club going to give us to do it ??

There is no way known we will accept unders as we have entered into a five-year deal with the guy. Normally, you have to pay overs to get a contracted player out of his current club.
The history books are littered with clubs who brought in the missing 'piece of the puzzle' which amounted to nothing. One player does not all of a sudden make someone a contender. As such, we shouldn't pay two 1st rounders for a player who isn't worth it. The guy will be 28 next year. According to most of the mouth-breathers from Carlton posting on this thread, that means he's already in his decline. Jeez Sam Mitchell would've been good in our side next year, given that we're in our 'premiership window'. I guess that means he's worth 2 first rounders too? (Nah, Pick 88 will do it).

The incentive for you is that you get two solid draft picks (a 1st and a 2nd) and you don't have a person at your club who doesn't want to be there. I saw a bit of that doco last year where Bolton was building some culture into a club with none. I'm sure having Gibbs at your club when he'd like to be back home will work wonders for you.

Maybe we can coax Jaenschy out of retirement and spin that as a win :)

Run and carry with good footskills!

Seriously i cant imagine we offload Lyons without getting a midfielder in.

Fair point, but Gibbs isn't worth throwing the kitchen sink at. Maybe a tap, but not the sink.

I found that last bit mildly amusing. :thumbsu:

Naturally I disagree and even if I was to remove my "navy blue goggles", I'd still disagree.

He has precise delivery over long distances and Walker, Lynch & Jenkins will do very well out of the silver service they'd get from Gibbs.

If he isn't worth the kitchen sink, then who on the open market right now is ??

Rockliff is a good player but is a disruptive influence, outside of that, I don't think there is one, well a "proven" one that is.

Did the Gibbs option come out of left field on the eve of trade week?

If so what about the targets we've spent the best part of a year zeroing in on? What about the Dangerfield money?
Gibbs IS the target we've been zeroing in on. People seem to have forgotten we are perceived as a horrible club to play at. Players leave virtually every year. That's all outsiders see. They aren't obsessed with the AFC and think Fagan has turned a corner for us yadayada like posters on here. They don't have the faintest clue who Fagan is. We are still seen as a feeder club that can't attract players to save itself. We are not viewed as an attractive prospect full stop. Reputations take a long time to change.

This is why its so weird to read all the nonsense on here about why don't we just make an offer to Mitchell or Prestia etc etc. Pie in the sky stuff. These kids from Melbourne don't want to come to Adelaide. As children they are told nursery rhymes about how bad Adelaide is. We are stuck with luring home players from SA for the near future. I don't like it any more than anyone else but the truth is not something to shy away from.

Maybe, maybe in a few years if we turn our culture and image around and win something we can become a destination club. But to get there we have years and years of bad work to turn around. Bryce Gibbs is the only A grader who wants to come to us. We need to take this step. Baby steps. Build success. Build the culture brick by brick.

If we fail at this and the Gibbs deal doesn't get done we are doomed. Everyone on here moans for years that no decent players ever nominate us. Now one finally nominates us as his preferred destination and he didn't even get chased out of his club by an angry husband. A gun finally nominates us. We have to facilitate the trade. If we don't we won't get nominated by anyone for another decade. What message would that send to other players? Nup Adelaide is a choirboy boring side in a boring arse city where the power goes out in a storm and they can't even get you to their club if you nominate them.

You can be sure we've approached plenty and Gibbs is the only gun mid who fits the profile AND is open to coming here. No way it came out of left field. Nor is there likely to be anything else available that will make us better, add something qualitative to our slow arse midfield AND want to come here, the most crucial part of the equation. Deal gets done tomorrow. No ifs no buts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs is a massive upgrade on Lyons. You are on crack.

Gibbs is also a much better kick than Sloane and kicks more goals than Sloane. Not far behind him at all.

Of course not. But if we have to pay a first and a second we get it done. Or get a second back from 2 firsts. You want talent you pay. Look at Boyd look at Hawthorn. We can still nail the draft - we have from worse positions.
Would you be happy getting that deal for Rory, if the shoe was on the other foot?

I would of been quite happy with Lyons & #13 but I'm not employed by Carlton to make those decisions.

Simply put, you need Gibbs in your team more than we need him in ours, he could and should be the difference between finishing 5th/6th or playing off in a GF.

Why are you so set on this view? Has it been drilled into you by the rest of your arrogant board? You all remind me of my Brother-in-law who is an arrogant Blue supporting flog of the highest degree. We don't need Gibbs, he would be a nice addition to our team but not essential. Just go back to your rock and crawl back under it please.

Laird is a good player, I'll give you that one. The Crouch Bros. are still a little way off it when compared to Gibbs and Cameron IMO, is not that special outside of his highlights reel.
cameron is prolly better than 18 of your starting 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back