Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS only have 1640pts once pick 15 is taken away and pick 2 not included. Setterfield and Perryman are both likely top 10 even top 5 for Setterfield possibly. If they both get bids in the top 12 that would roughly cost more then 2500 pts. GWS won't want to carry 900pts over into 2017 as it moves their 1st round pick back 900pts. GWS will definitely 100% require pick 5 or 13 this year. Blues want cats 2017 1st round pick in their chase for Fyfe as freo might match and make them trade which the cats pick helps. Saints have done the same thing.

That's true but will you get one of Gibbs calibre though ??

There are B-Grade mids on offer every year but you have enough of them already, you need some silk now.

Gibbs would start the year as the 2nd best and Finish the year as the 4th best mid in the Crows in 2017 behind, Sloane Matt and Brad Crouch, s**t he may even get pushed to 5th or 6th depending on CC, Milera, Atkins, and a few others.

Gibbs is a huge like but not a must have. therefor I hope we don't pay overs.

I said if the shoe was on the other foot ie if we were in Carlton's position and they were in ours.
Considering Sloane is better and a younger player I would request two first round picks but ultimately settle on a good first and a good second (Dayne Beams style)

I'm not being cheeky this is a realistic scenario.

You only have to look at the past for examples, Betts and Sauce.

They get back to their home state and grow as footballers. Back home, playing in front of massive passionate crowds every second week. They love it.

Betts and Sauce have both gone up a couple of gears since leaving Carlton.

Chances are the same thing will happen with Gibbs. The main thing that has kept him in Melbourne is his relationship with Kernahan. Since Sticks is not longer around the club all the time it is no wonder Gibbs is wanting to get back home.

I'm telling you Gibbs first year with you guys has the potential to be similar to what happened with Dangerfield getting back to Moggs creek. Happy player great player. Truth be told the Blues have not really treated Gibbs that well, relegating him to a half back flanker role for most of his first 150 games when he should have been playing midfield from day one.

Just remember what it was like when Gibbs was kicking 6 goals in the SANFL against adults as a 17 year old. That old spark will be back.

Fair enough comment but off the mark. What happens is nobody in Victoria really notices our good players. Dangerfield was a star before he left, came runner up in the brownlow the year before he went back (Fyfe didn't play this year). People suddenly see him every week and think he came from out of nowhere but reality was he'd been playing that way for years.
Betts was always a great player, remember him and Yarran dominating games. Both just lost their way a bit. Sauce was always good but you used your number 1 pick on Krezuer so needed to play him first, Jacobs just moved for opportunity for game time.
Not personal as you wrote a thought out post, but can't help but think it reads like typical Victorian bias. Some good points tho around Sticks, a Glenelg legend like Gibbs Snr

GWS only have 1640pts once pick 15 is taken away and pick 2 not included. Setterfield and Perryman are both likely top 10 even top 5 for Setterfield possibly. If they both get bids in the top 12 that would roughly cost more then 2500 pts. GWS won't want to carry 900pts over into 2017 as it moves their 1st round pick back 900pts. GWS will definitely 100% require pick 5 or 13 this year. Blues want cats 2017 1st round pick in their chase for Fyfe as freo might match and make them trade which the cats pick helps. Saints have done the same thing.

Yeah but GWS and Tigers might want to do a deal for next years Cats first rounder that they will get from Carlton for Marchbank.

I still think the deal will get done but I suspect we will keep Lyons pick to use in this draft.

I found that last bit mildly amusing. :thumbsu:

Naturally I disagree and even if I was to remove my "navy blue goggles", I'd still disagree.

He has precise delivery over long distances and Walker, Lynch & Jenkins will do very well out of the silver service they'd get from Gibbs.

If he isn't worth the kitchen sink, then who on the open market right now is ??

Rockliff is a good player but is a disruptive influence, outside of that, I don't think there is one, well a "proven" one that is.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love him here (notwithstanding I think it's crap he's walking away from a 5 year contract - personal issues aside).

But the players you throw the sink at are the elite - which I don't think he is. And as you point out, none are on the market this year. Doesn't mean we go overboard on the next in line.

I think our clock is ticking, but it's not end of the world stuff yet. Would need to have a huge post season next year tho.

We should have done the 'opportunity ' thing this season rather than trying to wring the last drop out of a desiccated Thompson.
'Dessicated' Thompson?! Last I looked I reckon he was in one piece.
I believe the word you may have been seeking was 'decimated'?

Either way, I agree with your sentiment

I like posts that have facts that make me feel better

'Dessicated' Thompson?! Last I looked I reckon he was in one piece.
I believe the word you may have been seeking was 'decimated'?

Either way, I agree with your sentiment

Nah I think he meant dessicated

Fair enough comment but off the mark. What happens is nobody in Victoria really notices our good players. Dangerfield was a star before he left, came runner up in the brownlow the year before he went back (Fyfe didn't play this year). People suddenly see him every week and think he came from out of nowhere but reality was he'd been playing that way for years.
Betts was always a great player, remember him and Yarran dominating games. Both just lost their way a bit. Sauce was always good but you used your number 1 pick on Krezuer so needed to play him first, Jacobs just moved for opportunity for game time.
Not personal as you wrote a thought out post, but can't help but think it reads like typical Victorian bias. Some good points tho around Sticks, a Glenelg legend like Gibbs Snr

Thanks for the well thought out reply.

It is obviously difficult for me to take off the Victorian and Blues goggles and be neutral.

I do think that Sticks leaving as president (which basically means Sticks no longer being at the club every day from dawn to dark) has had an impact on Gibbs.

Sticks was his rock all through his career. He is gone.

Gibbs does not have a lot of close friends among the playing group so losing a close family friend contact on a day to day basis in Sticks would have had a big impact.

The Gibbs family name is HUGE in Adelaide, everyone knows it. I am not kidding when I say much to my chagrin, that Gibbs will go from a top 50-100 AFL footballer for the Blues to the somewhere in the top 50 AFLplayers for Adelaide. It is all set up and points that way. Name another club where Gibbs would play better? It is the natural fit.

He will be back HOME.

When Gibbs fires it will hurt just as much every game as it does for Betts.

If Brouch wins the Brownlow, the Crows are playing the grand final.

From what I saw this year.
Crouch ain't winning no Brownlow in 2017..
Just no progression. He's forgotten how to get on his bike. Seems happy to stand back n watch. Dishes out a few handballs if the pill comes his way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be ok with throwing in our 2017 first but only if we get thier 2017 second in return.

It's a gamble but it ultimately may only be a slight downgrade of 5-6 spots as we should at least hold ground and there's a good chance they slide with sides like GC, Ess and Fremantle expected to rise up the ladder.

I was completely against it at first but it might be a risk worth taking.

From what I saw this year.
Crouch ain't winning no Brownlow in 2017..
Just no progression. He's forgotten how to get on his bike. Seems happy to stand back n watch. Dishes out a few handballs if the pill comes his way.

He'll improve, missing an entire year of footy is pretty massive for a young kid, if he can get a full preseason in he'll be a completely different player.

Brilliant post and thank you. All that points stuff does my head in.

So we're still well and truly alive here and also GWS will also need currency now for Delidio.

Does anyone think that Betts could be the reason Carlton are stuck in? Are they looking for adequate compensation for Gibbs or wanting an outright win for Betts?

It seems very personal

Given they are very happy with the Tuohy trade because it gives them a first rounder to deal with GWS without us - it shows it is personal. Tuohy is a pretty good player (8th in their B&F) and they gave him away for about a 5 pick upgrade from the second round - go from 22 to maybe 16-17. I dont even in count Smedts as he is spud and wouldnt be in the Cats best 30. But they see the trade as a win because it gives leverage against - very dirty on the last few years. We are paying for their list managers errors

Thanks for the well thought out reply.

It is obviously difficult for me to take off the Victorian and Blues goggles and be neutral.

I do think that Sticks leaving as president (which basically means Sticks no longer being at the club every day from dawn to dark) has had an impact on Gibbs.

Sticks was his rock all through his career. He is gone.

Gibbs does not have a lot of close friends among the playing group so losing a close family friend contact on a day to day basis in Sticks would have had a big impact.

The Gibbs family name is HUGE in Adelaide, everyone knows it. I am not kidding when I say much to my chagrin, that Gibbs will go from a top 50-100 AFL footballer for the Blues to the somewhere in the top 50 AFLplayers for Adelaide. It is all set up and points that way. Name another club where Gibbs would play better? It is the natural fit.

He will be back HOME.

When Gibbs fires it will hurt just as much every game as it does for Betts.
Umm he was top 15 in Brownlow in a struggling team . I think he is already there. Check out his tackle and contested possession stats

Given they are very happy with the Tuohy trade because it gives them a first rounder to deal with GWS without us - it shows it is personal. Tuohy is a pretty good player (8th in their B&F) and they gave him away for about a 5 pick upgrade from the second round - go from 22 to maybe 16-17. I dont even in count Smedts as he is spud and wouldnt be in the Cats best 30. But they see the trade as a win because it gives leverage against - very dirty on the last few years. We are paying for their list managers errors
nope it's a 10 pick upgrade on this years numbers. Compo picks etc. it will also net us Marchbank and Pickett

I'm getting a bit tired this narrative being pushed by carlton fans, that we're in our window so we should make it happen. If the price is too high, I'd be comfortable going to the draft and then targeting Rockliff, Martin etc. as FA's next year. We'd be better off in the long term and there is no guarantee that Gibbs will get us to where we need to be anyway.

I might be ok with throwing in our 2017 first but only if we get thier 2017 second in return.

It's a gamble but it ultimately may only be a slight downgrade of 5-6 spots as we should at least hold ground and there's a good chance they slide with sides like GC, Ess and Fremantle expected to rise up the ladder.

I was completely against it at first but it might be a risk worth taking.

We traded that pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back