Trades not going to Happen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast selecting JOM in the draft would be the stupidest decision in the history of trading. They are effectively giving up 2 top 10 picks (8 and 10) to draft back a player that will likely want to leave anyway in year.

in which case they would get the pick back in the next trade.

Awful lot of trades to be done with just about a day to go! This is my list but I've skipped a few names eg Motlop,McKenzie which just won't be done at all.

JOM
Prestia
Kersten
Marchbank
Pickett
Cloke
Stevens
X Richards
Nankervis
Gibbs
Vardy
Hrovat
Deledio
Tuohy
Stewart
Witts
Dunn
WHE
Lyons

That's a pretty big list and I'm sure one of you will tell me there's more I've missed!

So....... When are all these happening??

2 top 10 picks?

Not likely.

They may recover their lost pick, but the additional pick wouldn't be a top 10 pick.

If the deal is not up to scratch this is their best alternative. The other option for them is to not make the deal and get nothing for him. if they draft him with pick 9 then they have an additional 2 years to convince him to stay and have the upside of getting a better pick.

If the deal is not up to scratch this is their best alternative. The other option for them is to not make the deal and get nothing for him. if they draft him with pick 9 then they have an additional 2 years to convince him to stay and have the upside of getting a better pick.
Why would they get him for 2 years? He's not an 18yo

You are missing the point.

By redrafting him, they are costing themselves 2 top 10 picks they could use on other kids. Pick 8 - the pick they redrafted him with. Pick 10 - the pick they would have received from Hawthorn.

To just break even on this deal, they would need to secure 2 top 10 picks when he decides to leave.

There is no Benefit in redrafting him. The best they could hope for is the threat of redrafting him, and hoping he re-signs.

Otherwise let him walk, and the worse thing that happens is they miss out on pick 10.

Pick 10 + 48 may be unders. But it is not massive unders for a bloke that hasn't played in 2 years.

You are missing the point.

By redrafting him, they are costing themselves 2 top 10 picks they could use on other kids. Pick 8 - the pick they redrafted him with. Pick 10 - the pick they would have received from Hawthorn.

To just break even on this deal, they would need to secure 2 top 10 picks when he decides to leave.

There is no Benefit in redrafting him. The best they could hope for is the threat of redrafting him, and hoping he re-signs.

Otherwise let him walk, and the worse thing that happens is they miss out on pick 10..

if they redraft him they still have the possibility of a pick upgrade to what they think his worth is (high pick + player) when the next year comes around. Letting him drop through to Pick 10 for the Hawks is the worst case scenario and IMHO worse than simply redrafting him and looking for a better deal next year when he presumably has played a few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As has been said elsewhere, he can't put a price on his head if he enters the ND. He'd need to be 23 by 31 December in the year of the draft or a former rookie listed player.
Lol either way you're not getting him, he'd probably rather sit the year out.

Why does it end at 2pm though? Should be midnight with live coverage all day on Fox Footy, think about it, would be brilliant television

Media drives deadlines always have , always will.

Cut to the new Presser ASAP before prime time news comes on.

Why couldn't another club take him before pick 10?
The only dangers are Essendon and Carlton. No other club (7 of the top ten are picks from interstate clubs)would waste a top ten pick on a player who is highly likely to leave the club after a year (due to his desire to live in Melbourne). The theory goes that Essendon would rather take McLuggage, and that Carlton will likely trade their pick to GWS tomorrow for Marchbank. In any case Carlton hasn't done a medical check of Jaeger's knees, that's only Hawthorn and Dons.

Gold Coast could convince Jaeger to stay but re-drafting him (against his will)would land them in hot water with the AFL (as he's uncontracted and has requested to leave the club). The theory continues that Hawks traded so aggressively for pick 10 just so that they could have this backup plan, which GC would be aware of (if it is indeed possible).

Personally I don't know what's going to happen except it will probably be dramatic. I don't understand Tony Cochrane's scoffing about how many picks GC have, pick 10 never hurts - and I'll be surprised if they don't give Graham Wright a call tomorrow morning for last offers.

The only dangers are Essendon and Carlton. No other club (7 of the top ten are picks from interstate clubs)would waste a top ten pick on a player who is highly likely to leave the club after a year (due to his desire to live in Melbourne). The theory goes that Essendon would rather take McLuggage, and that Carlton will likely trade their pick to GWS tomorrow for Marchbank. In any case Carlton hasn't done a medical check of Jaeger's knees, that's only Hawthorn and Dons.

Gold Coast could convince Jaeger to stay but re-drafting him (against his will)would land them in hot water with the AFL (as he's uncontracted and has requested to leave the club). The theory continues that Hawks traded so aggressively for pick 10 just so that they could have this backup plan, which GC would be aware of (if it is indeed possible).

Personally I don't know what's going to happen except it will probably be dramatic. I don't understand Tony Cochrane's scoffing about how many picks GC have, pick 10 never hurts - and I'll be surprised if they don't give Graham Wright a call tomorrow morning for last offers.
There is nothing the AFL can do if GC redraft him.

There is nothing the AFL can do if GC redraft him.
Of course there is, the league knows that a player has the right to an opportunity at another club if they are not contracted. Forget legislation, the AFLPA would kick up such a fuss that it wouldn't be worth it for GC - not to mention the damage to their reputation.

More to the point, Rodney Eade says he has no interest in keeping him if he really wants to go. They still think they can convince him to re-sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back