Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

Legs on the Friday the day before footy? And why do you need a whole day for biceps/triceps?

That is my pre season split, in season will be different. There a few reasons why my split is like it is;

My current split is doing two body parts a day twice a week, doing once a week will allow more quality volume. I.e not training biceps after back etc.

Shorter sessions to give me more time for running.

I love going to the gym each day, don't feel like a day off during the week.

This split isn't focused on footy its focused in building muscle.

Figured I might start posting updates in here, at least it is relatively anonymous but I can still keep myself accountable.

Height: 185
Weight: 133
Body type: Meso
Qualifications in the industry: none

Diet: Pretty basic plan with pasta, wraps and curry/rice. All easy to make stuff for now

Goals: My body both gains and loses weight very quickly, I weighed 130 in late 2013 and by July 2014 weighed 91, however at the start of 2015 I slowly began putting it back on until the last three months where I've hovered around low 130s. I didn't play sport at all this year which accelerated my weight gain, but my diet also got a lot worse as I moved out of home in February. I'd like to hit 120 by the start of March and be under 100 at the end of my exams sometime in June, then probably aim to get 85 by the start of November
Achievements so far: None

Sport played: Footy

Gday boys and girls, I'm not sure what's the acceptable norm here, but this is my profile and story.

Back into the gym after about a 15 month layoff as I couldn't be bothered joining a new gym once my old gym shut down last year, being a western suburbs boy, I did the odd casual session here and there at big gyms like Derrimut and Doherty's, but I just couldn't keep motivated to go regularly enough as I'd go maybe 3-4 times a month tops and only exercised through footy umpiring, walking and body weight core physio exercises for my back.

So yeah, I have carried a back injury, a L4-5-s1 prolapse and I don't want to go down the surgery route yet, only if I get injured again, so prevention and weight loss is the number one goal at the moment. I progressively put on 40 kgs or so after I had to give up playing sports in 2011. The heaviest I got up to was 168kgs early this year. I started weight training back when I was in year 11 in 2004, just before I turned 16 when I played under 16s footy initially to bulk up and use my strength as a KPP, and I used to be a keen cricketer and indoor soccer player also and I did a bit of PT/instruction work when I was 22-23 pre-injury as a hobby on off days. Cricket was my game however, I used to be a prolific lower grade fast bowler taking 20+ wickets a year regularly between 17-23yo, now I just umpire cricket and footy these days on the weekends to keep involved, I wouldn't mind playing indoor soccer someday again though once the kilos come off and my agility returns.

Height: 198cm
Weight: 161kg

Under 16s-19s footy weight 100-105kg, 96-98kg in preseason normally
Senior cricket/footy weight 20-23yo: 115-130kg (115-120 towards end of cricket season, generally was heavier at start of seasons due to not much cardio being done and more weights been thrown around in winter).

I did a lot of one rep max PBs at 22yo which was my strength prime, but then my body gave out on me months later though
Record bench : 140kg
Record deadlift: 190kg
Record squat: 160kg
Record leg press: 410kg
Chin up max reps: 12

So yeah, back in the gym after a while out, I inflamed my back 3 times over a 15 month period in 2011-12 being too eager, naive and immature thinking it wasn't a big problem. I tried coming back to full time work and sport after 3 months off in early-mid 2011, but I went too quickly, hurt myself at work and at footy training simply just picking things up (a box and a footy) on 2 separate occasions in late 2011 and April 2012 and spent April-August 2012 on oxynorm to deal with the pain and inflammation (lost kilos not eating on those meds, but put it on once I went off them), slept on the floor during that time and for the next 6 months or so. I got better once I conceded I had to change my silly ways and was pain/inflammation free, saw a regular physio and did light exercise over summer 2012-13 with a injury rehab group, then rejoined my old gym in autumn 2013 and trained there regularly within limitations and was able to get to about 150kgs in summer 2013-14, but then it shut down in late autumn last year and the kilos piled on again as the motivation was lost, plus the pressures of life got to me a little (studies, moving out with missus, weekend work/umpiring etc).

Motivation has been a bit of a problem though, as my energies have largely gone into casual work, cricket/footy umpiring and studies and carrying around the extra kilos the last 2 years with occasional sciatica and back stiffness if I'm doing too much or sitting down for too long (a problem at Uni), but I have this semester off and am only studying via correspondence at the moment, so I have more time on my hands than usual, but I have only gone into the gym once a week since I rejoined nearly a month ago and walk only 2-3 times a week (3-5km walks normally walking the family dog) and go for the occasional swim/hydro at the local pool.

I'm getting married in July next year, so I really need to step on the pedal and lose the kilos so finding the motivation now to work through the tough initial training period of getting out of the house and into the gym and getting a solid routine together now is critical. As I'm a big guy at 6"6, my dream result would be back to my heavyish 130kg self by July next year with scope to get down past 120kgs by summer 2016-17 and to a healthy optimal weight range of 105-115kg through 2017 and maintaining it, though 140kg is probably more realistic probably by July next year. My physio has told me just to keep within limitations, so I'm just doing light-medium weights, highish reps of 10-15 of 3-4 sets and working mainly in the hypertrophy phase, I do no heavy lifting or explosive movements like deadlifts anymore, it's all conrolled stuff, whether it be free-weights, body-weight stuff or machines. I always jump on the bike for 15-20 minutes as a warm up and to get a bit of cardio in and my warm ups tend to be longer as I stretch and do some core things just for prevention and feeling good to get into it. I really need to get to the gym 5 days a week or so, do 3 days of weights + basic cardio, then 2 days of core + heavy cardio I think would be ideal to start off with once I get a regular routine going.

I think if I update my status here monthly, it would be a good way of seeing progress, any suggestions here if anyone has had a similar issue to me of managing back problems?

Anyways guys, summing it up, that's my training story and struggles of the last couple of years. 30 is just around the corner, so I need to get a wriggle on and sort out the weight for good otherwise it will just get tougher to manage as I get older and bad habits of comfort eating and a pretty sedentary lifestyle may creep in if I don't turn it around now. Got 5 and a 1/2 months before Uni starts for me again, so I really need to use my time wisely and make the most of it. I have the knowledge from my sporting and training background, just need to apply it.

How'd you end up going with this mate?

Figured I might start posting updates in here, at least it is relatively anonymous but I can still keep myself accountable.

Height: 185
Weight: 133
Body type: Meso
Qualifications in the industry: none

Diet: Pretty basic plan with pasta, wraps and curry/rice. All easy to make stuff for now

Goals: My body both gains and loses weight very quickly, I weighed 130 in late 2013 and by July 2014 weighed 91, however at the start of 2015 I slowly began putting it back on until the last three months where I've hovered around low 130s. I didn't play sport at all this year which accelerated my weight gain, but my diet also got a lot worse as I moved out of home in February. I'd like to hit 120 by the start of March and be under 100 at the end of my exams sometime in June, then probably aim to get 85 by the start of November
Achievements so far: None

Sport played: Footy

How'd you end up going with this mate?
Had a really bad patch about 6-8 weeks after I posted that

Broke engagement up, plus me Dad had a heart attack (survived thankfully), but yeah fell in a deep dark hole and was pretty unmotivated for a few months and let myself go (basically all summer and most of autumn and just got by).

Eventually got my s**t together in May, started going to the pool, became a vegetarian cold turkey and changed gyms to one within walking distance of my house (bout 10min walk), best decisions I've made in a few years.

I'm still fairly heavy (mid-high 150s) currently and still have a gut that I'm not happy with, but I'm regaining some old strength back, going to gym 4-5 days a week now and feeling much better in myself. Starting to see some definition in my upper body again which is a good sign of improvement.

Still got a solid year or two of hard gymwork to get in before I'd be happy with a certain level of fitness and I still have to manage my back correctly, but I'm making progress now with a better frame of mind compared to back then so I'll slug it out now whereas I wouldn't be able too back then.

Okkkk time for an update as I am getting ancient and just had another birthday. ANOTHER birthday. To think I joined BF when I was 13...

Height: 167
Weight: 54 kg
Body type: Meso.

Qualifications in the Industry: A Gym-Loving BF who has dedicated his life to 'gains' with PT certs (but seriously, not one of those fad fitness dudes which is great for helping me with form and such).

Supplements: Previously used WPI, going to use it again.

Diet: Ranging from 750-1100cal depending on desired goal... but quite healthy. Quick snapshot - oats with water, corn thins with canned Tuna, whatever for dinner (usually some kind of Asian vegetable stir-fry with tofu and such) + iron supplements and Berocca) Snacks: Cherry Tomato and Apple. I'll also have a square of chocolate once a month when PMS hits then hate myself for the rest of the month.

Goals: Drop BF% while pretending to be strong.

Current Figures (still on newbie gains, go easy on me I've only been back for 6 months) so I can quote and see the difference next year:

Arms:
Curls - 10kg (Machine)
Arnies - 7kg (Free Weights)
Shoulder Press - 7kg (Free Weights)
Tri Pushdown - 7.5kg (Rope)

Back:
Wide Grip Cable Rows - 31kg
Narrow Grip Cable Rows - 33kg
Lat Pulldowns - 33kg
Face Pulls - 7.5kg
Shrugs - 8kg

Legs - a lot more limited because I have bad knees (subluxation, recurrent dislocation)... but I never used to do legs! So this is a major improvement.
Leg Curl - 25kg
Leg Extension - 35kg
Leg Press - 40kg
Squats - Bodyweight with increased reps (Knees)... same with lunges... truth be told I more often than not skip these two as it's just painful if I don't have tape on.
Hip Adduction - 65 kg
Hip Abduction - 65 kg

Core:
Body-weight standard ones, sit-ups, planks, side-to-side with a medical ball (whatever that is called), the one where you put your legs up (whatever that is called) - Clearly I don't know any names :(.

Cardio:
5x2min Skipping
10min HIIT Elliptical (if I can be bothered, which I usually cannot).

Also - all 3 x 10 and 1 warm up set and 1 drop set.

I try and go pretty much every day... naturally that isn't always sustainable but I usually get at least 5 sessions in a week.

Open to suggestions :)

Last edited:
Okkkk time for an update as I am getting ancient and just had another birthday. ANOTHER birthday. To think I joined BF when I was 13...

Height: 167
Weight: 54 kg

Qualifications in the Industry: A Gym-Loving BF who has dedicated his life to 'gains' with PT certs (but seriously, not one of those fad fitness dudes which is great for helping me with form and such).

Supplements: Previously used WPI, going to use it again.

Diet: Ranging from 750-1100cal depending on desired goal... but quite healthy. Quick snapshot - oats with water, corn thins with canned Tuna, whatever for dinner (usually some kind of Asian vegetable stir-fry with tofu and such) + iron supplements and Berocca) Snacks: Cherry Tomato and Apple. I'll also have a square of chocolate once a month when PMS hits then hate myself for the rest of the month.

Goals: Drop BF% while pretending to be strong.

Current Figures (still on newbie gains, go easy on me I've only been back for 6 months) so I can quote and see the difference next year:

Arms:
Curls - 10kg (Machine)
Arnies - 7kg (Free Weights)
Shoulder Press - 7kg (Free Weights)
Tri Pushdown - 7.5kg (Rope)

Back:
Wide Grip Cables - 31kg
Narrow Grip Cables - 33kg
Lat Pulldowns - 33kg
Face Pulls - 7.5kg
Shrugs - 8kg

Legs - a lot more limited because I have bad knees (subluxation, recurrent dislocation)... but I never used to do legs! So this is a major improvement.
Leg Curl - 25kg
Leg Extension - 35kg
Leg Press - 40kg
Squats - Bodyweight with increased reps (Knees)... same with lunges... truth be told I more often than not skip these two as it's just painful if I don't have tape on.
Hip Adduction - 65 kg
Hip Abduction - 65 kg

Core:
Body-weight standard ones, sit-ups, planks, side-to-side with a medical ball (whatever that is called), the one where you put your legs up (whatever that is called) - Clearly I don't know any names :(.

Cardio:
5x2min Skipping
10min HIIT Elliptical (if I can be bothered, which I usually cannot).

Also - all 3 x 10 and 1 warm up set and 1 drop set.

I try and go pretty much every day... naturally that isn't always sustainable but I usually get at least 5 sessions in a week.

Open to suggestions :)
Is that a standard workout for you? Meaning doing weights for every main muscle group (chest, back, legs, arms etc all on the one day).

Is that a standard workout for you? Meaning doing weights for every main muscle group (chest, back, legs, arms etc all on the one day).

No... I would probably die haha. I usually split it up with arm day + cardio, leg day + cardio etc. Core takes quicker so I usually do core + longer cardio.

No... I would probably die haha. I usually split it up with arm day + cardio, leg day + cardio etc. Core takes quicker so I usually do core + longer cardio.
Cool, that's ok, keep slugging away with it.

I just started using the cross trainer for more cardio as I'm a bit over walking and bike and I'm not mobile/light enough to start jogging again yet (tried, too uncomfortable) and I found the xtrainer was great at raising my heart rate compared to the bike (bike 110-140 depending on level, xtrainer 140-170) so I'll throw in the xtrainer to the cardio routine now as I'll probably get results off it, but previously years ago I found it boring and the stepper was better, but my current gym doesn't have a stepper.

FWIW, I couldn't be bothered going to gym today, too hot plus already been 5 times this week (once Monday, Tuesday, Thurse, twice Wednesday which is usually my peak training day), so I felt guilty, started doing push ups lol, just did 4 sets of incline push ups on a 2 foot high brick ledge outside, going to try decline push ups on the couch now :p

have you tied deadlift variations which are very knee friendly and hip thrusts?

Which particular deadlift variation are you talking about? But no, probably not.
I do that exercise working hip flexors where I'm lying down with a weight on my 'pelvis' (awkward) then raising my lower half up. Is that what you mean by hip thrusts?

Which particular deadlift variation are you talking about? But no, probably not.
I do that exercise working hip flexors where I'm lying down with a weight on my 'pelvis' (awkward) then raising my lower half up. Is that what you mean by hip thrusts?

yep they're hip trusts - any deadlift variation will be fine as you're knee doesn't have to do anything but support you - might be a better option then squats

FWIW i was in the exact same boat as you on knees (kneecap stability) and avoided leg work like the plague - definitely worst thing you can do and just made the issues worse :|

Posting in here a lot so why not

Height: 184
Weight: 85 kg (have been between 82 and 88 since I was 18)

Qualifications in the Industry: 0% but...
Former TAC Cup and VFL footballer
Trained in MMA and Boxing for 10+ years
Started semi competitive OCR last year and came 4th in the non pros at the Spartan Race World Champs in Hawaii for the 14km open age and 5th in the 7km sprint.

In short I have a lot of "experience" and know very well what works for me but I have no quals and wouldn't ever claim to be an expert in anything.

Supplements: Protein supps, BCAA and Creatine based pre workout (periodically, mostly in heavy training blocks)

Diet: Dieted in the xtreme all the years playing football so its fairly relaxed now, I generally eat healthy and know what works for me but I don't calorie count and if I want a donut I eat a donut.

Goals: Dipping a toe back into Football this year coming off a long layoff after a serious injury (broken neck 7 years ago) otherwise its just general fitness, running is meditation and weights/workouts are for fun and honestly aesthetics, we all want to look good with a shirt off.

Other: I just enjoy challenging myself and working hard, I do a little of everything and enjoy most of it, im functionally very strong and fit and reasonable out on the run/cardio stuff too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broken vertebrae are nasty
There's a guy running around at Wandin who missed out on a shot at AFL because of something wrong with his spine
Collingwood were keen with a 2nd or 3rd rounder but the medicos took one look at a scan and told him to forget about contact sport altogether
In the end he had all this spinal fusion surgery but couldn't play fully til he was around 25 (also apparently gained 5-6cm in height post surgery which probably tells you his spine was pretty ****ed to begin with lol)

Broken vertebrae are nasty
There's a guy running around at Wandin who missed out on a shot at AFL because of something wrong with his spine
Collingwood were keen with a 2nd or 3rd rounder but the medicos took one look at a scan and told him to forget about contact sport altogether
In the end he had all this spinal fusion surgery but couldn't play fully til he was around 25 (also apparently gained 5-6cm in height post surgery which probably tells you his spine was pretty stuffed to begin with lol)

Yeh, I got incredibly lucky in hindsight, it didn't "ruin my shot" or anything (I was never ever gonna get drafted) but I was a workhorse with huge workrate and fitness and this ruined a lot of the work I had done and limited what I could when I was pushing to come back. However guys I saw during my rehab were in spinal halos for 6 months while I got some surgery and a neck brace for a fortnight.

Yeh, I got incredibly lucky in hindsight, it didn't "ruin my shot" or anything (I was never ever gonna get drafted) but I was a workhorse with huge workrate and fitness and this ruined a lot of the work I had done and limited what I could when I was pushing to come back. However guys I saw during my rehab were in spinal halos for 6 months while I got some surgery and a neck brace for a fortnight.

Yup, as Eric LeGrande (quadriplegic from NFL injury) says whenever someone asks him how he's going etc
"Compared to what?"

Former TAC Cup and VFL footballer

Goals: Dipping a toe back into Football this year coming off a long layoff after a serious injury (broken neck 7 years ago) otherwise its just general fitness, running is meditation and weights/workouts are for fun and honestly aesthetics, we all want to look good with a shirt off.

Who did you play vfl for and where will you maybe play this year?

FWIW i was in the exact same boat as you on knees (kneecap stability) and avoided leg work like the plague - definitely worst thing you can do and just made the issues worse :|

Dug up a pair of Nike Airmax+ that did not have much wear... mostly because I didn't want to look like a lad. Anyway, thought '* it' and wore it to the gym. Stabilised me SO much more... esp. squats. I didn't even hate it.

Dug up a pair of Nike Airmax+ that did not have much wear... mostly because I didn't want to look like a lad. Anyway, thought '**** it' and wore it to the gym. Stabilised me SO much more... esp. squats. I didn't even hate it.

Were you squatting in 10" foam heels before?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back