The on topic thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKs-last-22-shots-faced.thumb.jpg.830c5a4890ac2bc0987e7882eebd508f.jpg

it would help if he had players in front actually defending but it has been shocking to say the least.

i would think most of those except for one have all been from shots inside the box. the only one i think that wasnt was the burnley screamer from outside the area.

A good debate on player loyalty here between Paul Scholes, Robbie Savage and Owen Hargraves:

Hargreaves, Scholes and Savage are spot on in saying it's fantasy to suggest loyalty still lies in the sport, it's all about the money, it's changed dramatically. The host who keeps harping on about the fans and them wanting players to stick around because they buy shirts and take their kids and cheer for the players they love, feel that the players should stay just because of that, it doesn't work like that.

You get offered more money to do the same thing, you're going to take it.

But like Scholes said, it was different for him, he loved United, lived 20 minutes from the ground and was winning trophies on a regular basis, there was no need to move. Days like that however are done IMO, I doubt you'll see players come through the academy, become a star player and stay at the same club for 15+ years.

China has also changed everything.

Not much has changed for most teams. Through the 90's and 00's most sides held on to their good players for as long as they could before one of the Sky 4 team turned their heads. Happened with us with SWP, and I was pretty sure Micah would have gone if not for the takeover and then his injuries.

Only change now is those Sky 4 teams face losing their players. All of a sudden theres a problem with it.

Hargreaves, Scholes and Savage are spot on in saying it's fantasy to suggest loyalty still lies in the sport, it's all about the money, it's changed dramatically. The host who keeps harping on about the fans and them wanting players to stick around because they buy shirts and take their kids and cheer for the players they love, feel that the players should stay just because of that, it doesn't work like that.

Marek Hamsik joined Napoli in 2007 when they got promoted, formed one of the best front threes in the world with Cavani and Lavezzi, stayed when they left, got made captain and is now approaching his 10th year at the club. Mark Noble has been good enough to play for a side better than West Ham for years now and he's stayed loyal the entire time. Jonathan Soriano is probably going to end his career with RB Salzburg even though he's been good enough to play in a better league for years. Godin, Bruno Soriano, Del Rossi, Totti, Dunk and plenty of others have all stayed loyal to their clubs too.

I agree with money being the big thing in a lot of players minds but a fair amount of players will remain loyal to their clubs regardless of where that club is in the table.

China has also changed everything.

Don't take it the wrong way but with China and their spending it's obvious they focus on African and South American players more than European ones, because they're more likely to take the money. When they snag a European player in their prime then I'll be inclined to believe this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not all players are about the money. Higuain turned down 800k / week in China. Ighalo was offered sone ridiculous contract and he said he couldn't do it.

And Shrek has resisted unlimited mature aged Chinese hookers + 700k / week (although being on 300k / week does make it easy to knock back).

Not all players are about the money. Higuain turned down 800k / week in China. Ighalo was offered sone ridiculous contract and he said he couldn't do it.

And Shrek has resisted unlimited mature aged Chinese hookers + 700k / week (although being on 300k / week does make it easy to knock back).
Zlatan had a monster offer from china and too rejected it.

China is more of a threat to south american leagues then europe

You say that like any of it matters, it doesn't.

They have enough money for 10 lifetimes. Earning 300k or 700k isn't going to make a difference.

They have enough money for 10 lifetimes. Earning 300k or 700k isn't going to make a difference.

No they don't. Or a lot of them wouldn't go bankrupt/go into management/punditry.

For some of them, their lifestyles are so extravagant that it does make a big difference. Footballers struggle post career to adapt to a lower standard of living (yes i know that sounds ridiculous but it's true). I'd also make the assumption that the tax rate in China for these guys would be a lot lower which would make the difference between salaries even more pronounced.

to add a bit of context. Lots of players left European clubs 10 years ago to come to the prem due to the higher wages they could earn. This was largely due to the significant difference between the euro and gbp. This meant that players could earn around 20-30% more by moving to england where there wage would change from 50k euros pw to 50k quid pw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back