AFLW - Carlton v Collingwood Season Opener Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno if my expectations were really low but I thought the skill level was fairly reasonable, our defensive co-ordination was good, our tackling was first-rate and we had clear strategies (lots of long kicking, flooding the loose ball and releasing players into space).

It was pretty scrappy at times, but what was pleasing was we were winning the contested ball and setting up play on the back of our hard work.

Plenty to work with.

Last edited:

And there you have freedom of speech.

Say something contrary to the popular and for genuine reasons and you're outed for........whatever. :)

Bat and ball and go home time ?

dress it up with a smiley face all you like.
But something about women being recognised for their efforts stung you. Take a breath and figure out what it is before you make a bigger dick of yourself.

you know what happens when you swim against the current

salmon-714447.jpg

Bat and ball and go home time ?

dress it up with a smiley face all you like.
But something about women being recognised for their efforts stung you. Take a breath and figure out what it is before you make a bigger dick of yourself.

There you go.......Lose all perspective and hit hard for the home run. Misogyny. Right?

Ban me for my views, but I'm telling you what I saw. No fear no favour.

It's as though we've been drinking out of punch bowl laced with ecstasy tonight.
So many hugs and insincere kisses.

wtf is this garbage. You reading minds these days? Some people - a lot of people - were genuinely excited for this and have genuinely come away from this excited for the future of the womens game.

Awful spectacle if the truth be said, but some great platforms laid by the AFL.

Your truth isnt everybodies. Some watched the game for what it was, and the occasion it represented, not for what it was compared to the mens game.

Gil would be gloating but it will take more than one match to keep the momentum going.

Gil would be gloating because events like this are an ideal way to get the ball rolling on his pet project.

Guess there won't be many likes coming my way. Oh well. :)

You guess right, edgy one.

Read this thread again tomorrow...watch the game again....and tell me what you really think.

Ill be thinking the same thing tonight, tomorrow and next month when the season is over. How great is it that we finally have a womens league for women and girls to aspire to.

Can't see the point of hyping something up, for what it wasn't.

Which was hyped up to be WHAT exactly? I was under the impression that we were all watching the first game in a brand new AFL Womens season - the first ever such game between traditional rival. I wasnt excpecting the harlem globetrotters fo footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harks is getting massively climbed into - by me as much as anyone. He's much respected around here and I deadset fear he's not himself tonight.

Thy. I can only play one way and that's to relate what I see.
Now, it may not be the popular or PC view and I said what I said for a reason. Doesn't matter. Mods can clean me up as they often do.

The AFL will want the standard to lift irrespective of the efforts. One team scored one goal tonight in a 16 a side comp.
It will take time but in this day and age, we all want everything now, that time doesn't count for much. The AFL will be thrilled for the initial hit but they would know there is so coming down to go through.

We need this comp but expectations will need to be tempered and good management to followed through with.
What do you see? That's what I see.

Hey everyone, congrats Carlton all over us. Great occassion and will be great for girls that would like to make a career out of footy.

Given that they are part-timers, a high number come from other sports can only get better..

Know of a few families that aren't regular footy goers went tonight because of their girls wanting to go.

Enjoy, just don't carry this win over to the mens competition.

I bawled my eyes out as my team ran out. Never thought I could be prouder of my club.
As a girl who had to stop playing footy at primary school while my brother kept playing this is bittersweet. Other girls will not have to give up something they love because of their gender.
Loved every second of the match, sure it wasn't always pretty but the passion bursting out of every female out there was so great to see.
A full house and families enjoying the match brings a huge grin.
Can't wait to go to the match here. Might have to get up at dawn.
Expecting Davey to be reported :( one negative in a night of positives

Posting this again so Harker can see what it means to me

Ill be thinking the same thing tonight, tomorrow and next month when the season is over. How great is it that we finally have a womens league for women and girls to aspire to.

It's great that we have a womens league but the when the euphoria of tonight washes away, it's clear that there is a lot of work to do.

The womens league could be a boon for the AFL and they know exactly why, but there will require a lot of effort over a long period of time for it to fit and function. I 'hope' we're prepared for the longer haul.

Hey everyone, congrats Carlton all over us. Great occassion and will be great for girls that would like to make a career out of footy.

Given that they are part-timers, a high number come from other sports can only get better..

Know of a few families that aren't regular footy goers went tonight because of their girls wanting to go.

Enjoy, just don't carry this win over to the mens competition.
Cheers Maggie. It was a brilliant atmosphere and a great crowd--full of girls and women :thumbsu:
Hope we get the same result every time the two teams meet ;)

Now, it may not be the popular or PC view and I said what I said for a reason. Doesn't matter. Mods can clean me up as they often do.

The AFL will want the standard to lift irrespective of the efforts. One team scored one goal tonight in a 16 a side comp.
It will take time but in this day and age, we all want everything now, that time doesn't count for much. The AFL will be thrilled for the initial hit but they would know there is so coming down to go through.

We need this comp but expectations will need to be tempered and good management to followed through with.
I see that it hardly matters that it was a bit scratchy tonight. In the overall momentousness of the event, calling it out for being a poor spectacle of the sport is like saying the driveway at the Taj Mahal needs a sweep.

But people's enthusiasm tonight is insincere ?

Mate , go to bed and see where your posts started . Something is bugging you and you can't admit it.

would anyone say the women are better then VFL players or worse?

Who cares? At this point the women have had exactly two months of access to professional coaches and facilities - about half of what we would consider a preseason for the mens side. If Kreuzer only had half a preseason we'd be using it as an excuse for why he played like crap for the year, but apparently for the women, they were expected by some to go out there and be the female incarnations of Polly farmer and ted whitten.

Fitness will play a big role in improving the overall skills for a lot of the girls, who have just gotten into a professional environment and will need pre-seasons and general time to get the endurance and match fitness up. It's pretty clear when fatigue sets in, it will/does dramatically affect what is already understandably a lower overall skill standard. That's just the way it is.

But honestly I enjoyed the game, even just on TV, more than most of the AFL mens games in recent times simply because of the spirit, atmosphere (which must have been amplified 10x over, live at the ground) and sheer grit on display. The girls were hard, frenetic. And it was just real, old school footy.

It only took a quarter and I was fully invested in not only seeing out the result tonight and hoping for a win, but in following this team fully from now on just as I would normally with the mens side. And now we get Carlton x2, that is pretty darn neat.

Who cares? At this point the women have had exactly two months of access to professional coaches and facilities - about half of what we would consider a preseason for the mens side. If Kreuzer only had half a preseason we'd be using it as an excuse for why he played like crap for the year, but apparently for the women, they were expected by some to go out there and be the female incarnations of Polly farmer and ted whitten.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:
'zactly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back