Cars & Transportation Dodgy drivers or roads - rant here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Really, in a merge situation who gives a **** about right of way, just let the car ahead of you in and stop being a campaigner.
Depends. But it's really not too hard.

If the car's behind you, stop being an idiot and speed up to let them in.

If the car's ahead of you, stop being a dickhead and slow down to let them through.

The Melbourne traffic is back to normal now. I was really enjoying my 25 minute trips to the city.

Today I had an absoloute wankstain give me the old 'well done' clap out the window when my lane ended and instead of letting me merge, he sped up and forced me onto the side of the road. Nothing on the road makes me angrier than someone doing something wrong, having a crack at you because they actually don't know road rules and think they were right...

Just an FYI to anyone who does this, if a lane is ending and there is a car in it who is in front of your car, you legally have to give way to them and let them merge.

I thought that only happened in Adelaide

I have a complaint about drivers and merging ffs. Probably the first bitch ever over this issue! :p
In SE Qld, a lot of highways have merging lanes about 200m long or so as you exit servos. Do people use them? Mostly not. They either stop in the merging lane as they leave the servo or they pull right out in front of you from a standing start.

To this day I really don't understand what was wrong with the 70 limit on Bell Street.

This must have happened a while ago now but I was driving in the city for the first time in ages and noticed the top end of King Street is at 40 km/h when it used to be 60. How long has this been the case?! I was there late evening with little to no traffic and it just felt like I was crawling.

This must have happened a while ago now but I was driving in the city for the first time in ages and noticed the top end of King Street is at 40 km/h when it used to be 60. How long has this been the case?! I was there late evening with little to no traffic and it just felt like I was crawling.
That's recent I think. You mean the bit between Dudley Street and La Trobe, yeah? Does seem unnecessary.

I almost got run off the road by some idiot who didn't know how a zipper merge works yesterday. I turned left onto a 3-lane road that reduces to 2 in about 100m, with a zipper merge between left and middle lanes. I get up to speed and align myself with a gap and this moron in the middle lane actually accelerates to close the gap and gives me the horn and finger treatment (ooh er, Matron) when I inevitably pull in front of her.

I am teaching a learner driver at the moment, it is very stressful they do stupid things, especially when the unexpected happens, they just don't have the reflexes that come with experience, scares the s**t out of me.

Was travelling down Tapeless Hill Road yesterday, which is a pretty busy main road that you can do 80 k's on. There was a guy on a moped riding in the bike lane, which I am pretty sure is illegal, he was doing about 60 k's, we were going 80 and he just decides to pull out of the bikelane into traffic right if front of us, no indication or forewarning, nearly bloody collected him cos my daughters response wasn't as quick as it should be. He is lucky to be alive this morning and I have more grey hairs as a result.

I guess it is just a matter of more driving.

There's a 32 question test in Victoria that you must get 78% on (or 25/32 right - I took the test recently, I'm pretty young myself. Some teens that I know don't watch the road when they're with their parents; phones take over.

That's some lax parenting. Phones shouldn't be anywhere near them.

That's some lax parenting. Phones shouldn't be anywhere near them.
I probably didn't type that right - they aren't on their phones when driving, they are on them in the passenger seat with parent driving; so they're not paying attention to the road when they really should be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they closed off access to boundry road from lennon street (going across the citylink exit ramp) on Saturday. gotta say they've done a pretty reasonable job. it's no longer an absolute nightmare to get from Church St onto Flemington Rd anymore

There's a 32 question test in Victoria that you must get 78% on (or 25/32 right - I took the test recently, I'm pretty young myself. Some teens that I know don't watch the road when they're with their parents; phones take over.
Tends to happen when they eventually get their license as well.

I did catch the classic L plater turning INTO a roundabout rather than going around it yesterday. He/she just sat there for 30 seconds for cars to pass and then turned right into the other side, which I'm pretty sure was where she (;)) was headed. How do some teens get their L's?
The test is easy. Everyone has to learn to drive somehow. I did some silly things as a Learner but you tend to get better, particularly if you actually do a lot of practice.

Really though, some people should never get behind the wheel of a car. They just don't get "it", but there is really nothing VicRoads etc can do to prevent these sorts of drivers from ending up with a license. They do those silly things as a learner but never move on from doing those things. They should be told to forget about it.

Then there's your learners that will never take lessons, never do the practice necessary and never have any guidance from any parents/relatives/friends that helps them becoming capable enough to drive on their own. All they have to do is pass one test which I honestly think anyone can pass if they're lucky enough and they're on their own. Then they get on the road and drive like they're blind. It's a genuine worry, but how do you stop it?

I'm concerned by the amount of drivers I see that struggle to stay on their side of the road. There's a corner near my work where idiots constantly drive on the middle line and the odd driver has ever had their wheel on the wrong side of the road, requiring evasive action. These *******s should be banned from driving for life.

I'm concerned by the amount of drivers I see that struggle to stay on their side of the road. There's a corner near my work where idiots constantly drive on the middle line and the odd driver has ever had their wheel on the wrong side of the road, requiring evasive action. These *******s should be banned from driving for life.
I see this happening in double lane roundabouts far too often.

Also had a weird experience with a driver a couple of months ago. I live in the Goulburn Valley but make a few frequent trips down to Melbourne on the Hume Freeway. It's not unusual to pass a lot of trucks on these journeys, and I like to leave plenty of room between me and the truck before slipping back into the left lane.

However, on this occasion, some hoon behind me, who was right up my ass as I was doing 113km passing the truck, decided to zip in front of the truck and then speed up to pass me on the left. It just didn't make sense. Was a young female driver with one of those hot pink female outline stickers on the back window.

Had a new one today.....

Stopped at the front row of a cross intersection controlled by traffic lights. Two lanes, neither of them painted with arrows, I am in the right lane and the road ahead on the other side of the intersection has two clearly marked lanes. No other signs saying what lane must do what.

So lights turn green, I proceed to go straight ahead. The car to my left, going slightly faster, decides it wants to turn right, and proceeds to do so right in front of me*. I had to slam on the brakes to stop a collision.

I mean, how mental do you have to be?

*inb4 adelaidecrowsrightinfrontofmeguy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back