Cars & Transportation Dodgy drivers or roads - rant here!

Remove this Banner Ad

The last few days on Peninsula Link have been awful. Standard fare is tail gating and getting on the horn for the wrong thing. Bonus mentions to the flogs usually tradies who will tailgate hard on people in the left lane doing the speed limit, who then don't indicate, speed up to 120 or so to over take and then rinse and repeat for the next person they get behind.

The last few days on Peninsula Link have been awful. Standard fare is tail gating and getting on the horn for the wrong thing. Bonus mentions to the flogs usually tradies who will tailgate hard on people in the left lane doing the speed limit, who then don't indicate, speed up to 120 or so to over take and then rinse and repeat for the next person they get behind.
I always laugh at people who tailgate me. I'll immediately slow down in an infantile manner. People tailgating are just setting themselves up to cause an accident.

I was on the outside lane of the Bruce Hwy today and was going maybe 1-2k's over the speed limit of 110 - tradie in a ute tails for 2 minutes, dangerously slips through a gap between me and a car 10 metres or so ahead on the inside, showing me the forks as he passes. I'm one of the first to complain about people over-occupying the outside lane, and he was obviously annoyed about my apparent lack of pedal-footing. About 10 seconds later I shifted back into the inside lane (as I was merely overtaking a banged-up Fiat in the first place).

Just don't understand the whole 'speed limit is too slow' atmosphere you get on Queensland/from experience Victoria roads. I don't personally succumb to road rage (rarely beep/curse loudly etc.), but this did piss me off and still is.

Need to raz a fif and pass out mayn

Got tailgated in Darwin in rain whilst doing 80 on an 80 road.

Two headed muppet that driver was.

A lot of the problem is the wide variance in speedometers - they can be up to ten percent off. So you might be tonking along down the freeway with your speedo showing 103, but the guy behind is fuming because his is showing 95.

A lot of the problem is the wide variance in speedometers - they can be up to ten percent off. So you might be tonking along down the freeway with your speedo showing 103, but the guy behind is fuming because his is showing 95.
Even still, on what planet are you taught to sit on someone's arse if you think they're going too slow?

First thing I do with a new car is go for a run with the GPS on.

In the Prado 110 is 116 on the speedo in the Calais 110 is 114.

I was in Victoria a couple of weeks ago with one of my daughters. We'd just been to Geelong for an early Christmas with my family. We were driving back to my in laws on Phillip Island.

I decided to pull over in the main drag of Cranbourne to get my daughter and I a cold drink. I pulled up directly out the front of the shop. It had been raining lightly and the road was slick. I left my daughter sitting in the car, she was in the back driver's side.

As I came back out with our drinks, a P plater did a uturn about 50m behind my car and floored it. He completely lost control and was spearing towards the back of my car in the wet.

Instant rage, I piffed my can of coke at him and missed (the old cricket arm ain't what it used to be) and gave him the biggest spray. He did another uturn about 50m up the road to come back and have a go. I was charging across the road to meet him in my Hawaiian shirt ready to drag him out of the car. He slowed down to look at me then must've thought better of it so kept driving.

He came within 3 feet of where my daughter was sitting.

Sounds like they need wheel balancing.

No all cars, in my experience are out. I've had new cars and late model, low km cars and none of them have been the same as the GPS.

The last new car that I bought was an Isuzu D-max. When I picked it up, it was a 400km drive home. I was advised not to exceed 100km and not to initially use the cruise for extended periods. I sat on 100km/h the whole way home. It seemed to take forever, unreal economy though.

The next day I took it out for a run with the GPS. Speedo 100km/have, GPS, 91km/h.

Last edited:
No all cars, in my experience are out. I've had new cars and late model, low km cars and none of them have been the same as the GPS.

The last new car that I bought was an Isuzu D-max. When I picked it up, it was a 400km drive home. I was advised not to exceed 100km and not to initially use the cruise for extended periods. I sat on 100km/h the whole way home. It seemed to take forever, unreal economy though.

The next day I took it out for a run with the GPS. Speedo 100km/have, GPS, 91km/have.
It is a much much safer bet for the manufacturer to have it being 4-10km under than be close to over. If they're over it would prompt major issues with speeding fines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a much much safer bet for the manufacturer to have it being 4-10km under than be close to over. If they're over it would prompt major issues with speeding fines.

Not only is a safer bet I believe it's the law. All cars made in the last 10 years or so have to have a speedometer that's at least 4km/h out I think

I'm driving from Esperance to Albany this morning. Wish me luck. A lot of the carnage over here seems to be in the south west.

Stuff the luck, get me a bloody helicopter. This road is ******* disgraceful and they call it a highway and put a 110km/h speed limit on it. No wonder there's carnage down this way.

Yes it's a long piece of road to maintain and the state's got no money but it is a fair dinkum goat track. The limit should be 80/90 tops.

On a 3 lane road (Alexandra parade) in the middle lane and traffic is flowing nicely all doing 60.
I'm behind this van and there is a station wagon with a trailer in the left lane. I'm usually in the middle because I know there's a parked car or two there in the afternoon in the left lane.
Any who, I'm right beside this wagon and of course there's a parked car, I speed up a little bit to let him in behind me because I would have to stop pretty hard to get back behind his car and then trailer, yet he tries to nudge along with me and slides just behind the back of my car before flashing me! What the * dickhead, you're in the s**t lane, you didn't give me much time with the parked car there and I would have to brake hard to let you AND your trailer in. I couldn't go in the right lane because there was traffic there too.

Last edited:
Dodgy Road.

Marion Rd here in Adelaide. One of the main thoroughfares ( yes its Adelaide so it only has 2 lanes) with 2 lanes , either side, one on the left filled with ruts and buses and the one on the right filled with drain covers. Its been like this for years. The damage it must do to cars who drive it frequently must be horrendous.

I was in Victoria a couple of weeks ago with one of my daughters. We'd just been to Geelong for an early Christmas with my family. We were driving back to my in laws on Phillip Island.

I decided to pull over in the main drag of Cranbourne to get my daughter and I a cold drink. I pulled up directly out the front of the shop. It had been raining lightly and the road was slick. I left my daughter sitting in the car, she was in the back driver's side.

As I came back out with our drinks, a P plater did a uturn about 50m behind my car and floored it. He completely lost control and was spearing towards the back of my car in the wet.

Instant rage, I piffed my can of coke at him and missed (the old cricket arm ain't what it used to be) and gave him the biggest spray. He did another uturn about 50m up the road to come back and have a go. I was charging across the road to meet him in my Hawaiian shirt ready to drag him out of the car. He slowed down to look at me then must've thought better of it so kept driving.

He came within 3 feet of where my daughter was sitting.

Some hotted-up, shitbox 1994 Calais I'm guessing?

Dodgy Road.

Marion Rd here in Adelaide. One of the main thoroughfares ( yes its Adelaide so it only has 2 lanes) with 2 lanes , either side, one on the left filled with ruts and buses and the one on the right filled with drain covers. Its been like this for years. The damage it must do to cars who drive it frequently must be horrendous.
Not just Marion Rd, the number of drain covers and random dips on arterial roads in Adelaide is insane.

The Melbourne traffic is back to normal now. I was really enjoying my 25 minute trips to the city.

Today I had an absoloute wankstain give me the old 'well done' clap out the window when my lane ended and instead of letting me merge, he sped up and forced me onto the side of the road. Nothing on the road makes me angrier than someone doing something wrong, having a crack at you because they actually don't know road rules and think they were right...

Just an FYI to anyone who does this, if a lane is ending and there is a car in it who is in front of your car, you legally have to give way to them and let them merge.

Depends. If you are crossing a white line, you give way to cars already in the lane; your rule only applies if it is a zip merge between two lanes.
merging+1.jpg
merging+2.jpg

Having a look at the comments towards videos on the Dashcam Owners Australia facebook and youtube pages you can see why there are so many dumb drivers in this country.

Really, in a merge situation who gives a **** about right of way, just let the car ahead of you in and stop being a campaigner.
That doesn't always work. In the second image above, if the car on the lane entering the road was in front but going slower then that would * things up for everyone else.

I think the main issue with merging in Perth vs merging in Melbourne is that Perth drivers aren't aggressive/confident enough to get up to speed and enter the road. The dilly dally, wait until the last second and then it *s the whole left lane up. Get up to speed ASAP, move across ASAP and give way to any cars in that lane and all is well with the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back