Unofficial Preview Round 5 v Richmond - The Greatest Streak of All - Opposition Supporters Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few wins and the Toiges bandwagon are awfully chirpy.

They obviously forget that they are our bitches.

The phone call had come late. Very late. I was sorting out my gear for ANZAC Eve, as I needed to be ready early for the pre-game service.

"Meet me at the National Sports Museum. We need to study some history."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been years since I'd been in the Museum. The crowd had not yet started to build for the night; nevertheless, the front staff advised me that I had about 90 minutes until they had to shut for the game.

Once I entered there was a sign. Melbourne supporters, this way please. An arrow directed me into an unused part of the 'G.

Emblazoned across the wall of this room was a slogan, yellow writing on a black background.

"At the heart of every Richmond supporter there lies a streak of self-loathing – that is why they turn on each other at the slightest provocation."

The wall was emblazoned with moments. The crushing of Richmond's dreams at Etihad in the mid-2000s by the Dees. Smashing victories over the Tigers by Melbourne, stretching right back into the 1950s. Oddly, a photo of Jordan McMahon kicing a goal in 2009 also emblazoned the wall. Looking closer, this one had a caption..."McMahon kicks Richmond out of Pick 1 and a priority pick, 2009".

"Why did you put this together Biff?"

A figure emerged from the shadows.

"The slogan encapsulates it. Richmond supporters love nothing more than hating themselves. They say they pine for the 1970s. But the reality is, they love nothing more than turning on their own, sacking coaches, losing matches, five year plans, the whole schemozzle."

I looked around further. The other exhibits in the room were similar dedications. Craig Cameron's draftee reports from 2004. A video of Terry Wallace's presentation to the board. A grumpy Danny Frawley in front of the media. KB refusing to return to the club in the early 1990s after being sacked. A history of failure, stretching back over 30 years.

"But Biff, the Tiges are four and zip. The Tiger Army is on the march. We're going to see 80,000 here tonight, and I don't trust Melbourne to be able to stop them."

"You forget too easily Striker. Because while one streak still remains etched in all our memories, the Tigers will simply hate themselves, and will never return to glory. The Greatest Streak of All."

Fumbling, Biff pulled a remote from his pocket and flicked a switch.

Centred under the slogan, lights illuminated another picture which I hadn't yet noticed.

36053695.cms

"They still haven't gotten over her. And I doubt they ever will."

Dees by 35.

Quite clever . This from a club which the AFL had to bail out just four years ago, hasnt win a flag for over 50 years , trained at the junction oval and can barely get above 40k members . I looked up irrelevance in the dictionary and there was the MFC logo.

Played more games than toumpas, lol

That's not really an insult; Tambling played over 100 games for you guys. Talk about flogging a dead horse...

Quite clever . This from a club which the AFL had to bail out just four years ago, hasnt win a flag for over 50 years , trained at the junction oval and can barely get above 40k members . I looked up irrelevance in the dictionary and there was the MFC logo.

Someones in a bad mood, was your ice dealer all out of stock?

The new logo or the old logo?

If there's one team with a worse track record than us at drafting, it's Melbourne. You effectively had TWO number one picks and you missed both Martin and Fyfe. Imagine :rolleyes:

Could be worse, we could have both done a Carlton and traded away all of our talent....Betts, Kennedy, Menzel, Gartlett.....the list goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey I'm pretty sure if we actually had talent we would've done the same thing under Neeld. He did try his best though. Moloney, Rivers & Stef Martin.

Rivers wanted out but martin would be very handy right now, plus Martin and Gawn would be a handy ruck duo

I'm impressed that you can actually use a dictionary.

Rivers wanted out but martin would be very handy right now, plus Martin and Gawn would be a handy ruck duo
Still it would've been nice to get something more than Byrnes, Gillies, Nicholson & Matt Jones in exchange for some of the better players on our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back